• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

impending court case

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• impending court case

Hi my first post here, about 2 years ago i had to put a hold on my vanquis card due to losing my job. Vanquis subsequently told me they had sold my debt on. last year i had a letter from lowell portfolio saying that they owned the debt. i asked them to provide proof that they owned the debt which they never sent, in total over 2016 i sent them 4 letters asking them to prove that they owned the debt. i then had a pre court notice, again i asked them for proof which they never sent. at the start of this year i had a court summons and i replied that i was defending the claim, a judge read the papers and ordered that all relevant paperwork had to be sent to myself by the 14th april. no paperwork was sent. lowell sent me a letter purporting to come from vanquis saying that vanquis had sold the account to lowell, i have since found out the letter was from lowell and made to look like it had come from vanquis. The court case is on the 26th of this month and lowell have just sent a copy of the agreement but still no proof that they own the debt i.e. a deed of assignment. my question now is do i go to the court case or do i contact lowell and try to sort a settlement ??
    Tags: None

Re: impending court case

Hi all is anyone able to advise i havnt much time left

Comment

Hi

Its very difficult to offer advice at such a late stage because no one is aware of the process you have gone through or the evidence that has been sent.

What exactly did the judge order Lowell to produce and want did they produce

What were the particulars of claim ?

Did you send a S78 request and have Lowell complied with it?

have you been ordered to submit an amended witness statement and have you?

Just for reference, the notice of assignment can be sent by either party on the authority of the seller

How much is the claim for?

Sorry I can't be of more help but if you do go to court you need to make the judge aware that the claimants did not follow their directions and when the info they sent arrived and what is still missing.

If you want to fill in more details maybe more opinions can be offered
      [MENTION=6]Amethyst[/MENTION] [MENTION=87380]Diana M[/MENTION]

Comment

Originally posted by warwick65 View Post
        Hi

Its very difficult to offer advice at such a late stage because no one is aware of the process you have gone through or the evidence that has been sent.

What exactly did the judge order Lowell to produce and want did they produce

What were the particulars of claim ?

Did you send a S78 request and have Lowell complied with it?

have you been ordered to submit an amended witness statement and have you?

Just for reference, the notice of assignment can be sent by either party on the authority of the seller

How much is the claim for?

Sorry I can't be of more help but if you do go to court you need to make the judge aware that the claimants did not follow their directions and when the info they sent arrived and what is still missing.

If you want to fill in more details maybe more opinions can be offered
        [MENTION=6]Amethyst[/MENTION] [MENTION=87380]Diana M[/MENTION]

Hi many thanks for responding, i realise its very late.not sure what a sect 78 is but i have sent them a request for proof that they own the debt 5 times over the last year. They have never replied. A judge said it was suitable for mediation but as they hadnt sent the docs we couldnt do that. The judge also ordered that all documentation should be sent to the court and myself by 14th April, they only arrived last thurs. They have sent a copy of the agreement the default notice and a notice of assignment which purports to come from Vanquis but has come from lowell and signed by someone that doesnt exist. The amount is for £1900 a cc debt

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry about the details i have struggled to find any help. I went through citizens advice first who kept me waiting for weeks for advice and then just told me to sort it in court

Comment

Hi
          yes sadly that is what many citizens advice tend to do- tell people to bite the bullet and settle

A S78 is also called a CCA request and it makes the creditor supply a copy of the agreement however for many post 2007 credit cards it makes little difference

So they haven't sent the deed of assignment , just the notice. It is the deed that is really needed to prove they own the debt and have the right to bring a claim

Could you post up a copy of the default notice after removing details that could identify you . A DN needs to be set up in a certain way

To be honest i am clutching at straws here but you never know

Comment

Many thanks for the reply i will post the default notice in the morning

Comment

please find attached copies of the default notice and the notice of assigment. the signature (alex appleby ) on the bottom of both is a ficticious person if thats any use.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Kati; 20th June 2017, 15:01:PM.

Comment

Hi

That is not a S87(1) Default notice. If you read it it says there should be the default notice enclosed. If that is all you have then they may have a problem.

I know that was all I was sent by Vanquis and I also know that as a gesture of good Lowell made the commercial decision to close the account

The figures quoted on the letter seem wrong anyway as even if you paid the overdue amount you would still be over the credit limit

A faulty default notice is not deminimis , this was ruled in Brandon v American Express

Comment

Apologies this is the default notice
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Kati; 20th June 2017, 15:05:PM.

Comment

Any ideas on this or should i go for a tomlin order and save going to court ??

Comment

[MENTION=87380]Diana M[/MENTION] [MENTION=551]pt2537[/MENTION]

I think that DN is defective as it still leaves the account over its credit limit - I know I read somewhere that even when the defendant wasn't prejudiced ( as in this case) it didn't matter but not sure where

Comment

Originally posted by bistray View Post
                        this is the default notice
                        What's the issue date of that DN ?

I can't see one, only the remedy date.

Di

Comment

Im not sure if the fact that the guy who signed both ( Alex Appleby ) doesnt exist its a made up name from vanquis ??

Comment

Any further thoughts on this. Court case is Monday

Comment

Originally posted by Diana M View Post
                              What's the issue date of that DN ?

I can't see one, only the remedy date.

Di
                              Di
                              In post 7 there was a cover page dated 14th may I think- I worked it out that it gave 4 days for service and 14 days to remedy

Originally posted by bistray View Post
                              Im not sure if the fact that the guy who signed both ( Alex Appleby ) doesnt exist its a made up name from vanquis ??
                              Why do you think Alex Appleby doesn't exist ?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X