• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

** DISCONTINUED ** Need some advice regarding an old debt!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need some advice regarding an old debt!!

Thank you Mike770 for your advice

Comment

From a commercial point of view they will know that what has been sent is non-compliant & in all likelihood it is statute barred.

So looking at it from their pov, are they going to spend a further £255 to lift the stay?

Obviously one can't say for certain, but I'd go with [MENTION=3599]MIKE770[/MENTION] & sit tight.
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Hi Charitynjw,

Thanks for replying

What do you mean by non compliant ? Sorry I'm a bit of novice in this department 😩

Comment

To comply with a CCA request they need to send a copy or an accurately reconstituted version of the agreement, the complete T&Cs applicable at the time the agreement was made, any subsequent variations & a statement of the account.
          Plus any other documents mentioned in the agreement (Eg PPI).
          As far as I can see, they have not done so, & therefore haven't complied with the request.
          & that is before 'running forensics' over the agreement which they have sent.
          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
          Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
          gets his brain a-going.
          Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
          The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Thank you Charitynjw for explaining, I'll sit tight and see what happens

Comment

https://consumercreditlitigationanddebtcollection.wordpres s.com/2017/06/01/what-a-day-pra-lowells-and-hoist/

Have a read of that post, you may want to think about how long you let the claim remain stayed.
              I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Originally posted by abundancexx View Post
                Thank you Charitynjw for explaining, I'll sit tight and see what happens
                Originally posted by MIKE770 View Post
                they can apply to lift the stay and state they wish to continue, regardless , it would be to the next stage of proceedings, no specific document to rely on at that stage, meantime it is up to them if they continue or not, stayed is just that - parked up, longer the better

I agree with both Charity and Mike770.

The sum in dispute is not-a-lot in the grand scheme of things (£918).

As has been said the longer it remains stayed the harder it will be for Shoosmiths to convince the court why they haven't taken action to lift the stay sooner.

From what you've said they've produced all the cards which they are holding.

It's first to blink time.

If you want to make an application to strike out their claim it will cost you.

I would expect Shoosmiths to contest your application which could cost you even more if you're not successful in your application. There would then be a hearing. Do you want that?

Di

Comment

Originally posted by Diana M View Post

I agree with both Charity and Mike770.

The sum in dispute is not-a-lot in the grand scheme of things (£918).

As has been said the longer it remains stayed the harder it will be for Shoosmiths to convince the court why they haven't taken action to lift the stay sooner.

From what you've said they produced all the cards which they are holding.

It's first to blink time.

If you want to make an application to strike out their claim it will cost you.

I would expect Shoosmiths to contest your application which could cost you even more if you're not successful in your application. There would then be a hearing. Do you want that?

Di
                  Well, youve got laches to ponder firstly, then of course theres plenty of case law on delay and parking proceedings, so im not so sure its as shakey as seems to be suggested.

Of course the other option is the sword of Damocles
                  I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Hi pt2537, thank you for getting in touch and for sending over the links. Unfortunately the first link you provided I can't seem to access.

In regards to you mentioning, thinking about how long I let the claim remain stay, can you please tell me what my options are? As I really don't have a clue how these things work, any advice will be much appreciated.

Comment

Hi Diana M, thank you for your response.

How much roughly does it cost to apply to get it struck out?

Also in regards to the CCA request I sent the solicitors, what may be the reason why they haven't complied fully with the request ?

- - - Updated - - -

Do you think it's worth writing to the solicitors asking why they have not complied fully with the CCA request

Comment

Originally posted by abundancexx View Post
                        Hi Diana M, thank you for your response.

Do you think it's worth writing to the solicitors asking why they have not complied fully with the CCA request
                        I wouldn't, unless you want to provoke and encourage them to comply with your CCA Request

Di

Comment

Ok Thank you for your response Diana M

Comment

non compliance of CCA request is their problem, you do not remind them of the fact (shows you are weak,) the ball is in their court, too early to apply for a strike out, sit back and see if anything happens for now. move too early and it could make them work harder to complete their task!

Comment

Your right Mike770, thank you ��

Comment

Hi

I can't remember where it was ( on here somewhere) but someone applied to have a claim struck out ( rather quickly I think) and the claimant opposed it and were allowed time to produce the document

Based on the above I would not be applying for a strike out yet as it is only a matter of months

Also , unless you are qualify for fee remission there is a fee to apply for a strike out which the claimant might accept as a full and final settlement although I would not do anything at the moment

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X