• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Reston, Arrow, and getting my head out of the sand

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reston, Arrow, and getting my head out of the sand

Hi all,

Occasionally been on the forum before to read up on advice but now decided to join and ask a question of my own.

So, i've today received the first letter from Restons Solicitors regarding a long forgotten credit card debt. You know the ones, poor credit credit card and then given a ridiculously high allowance on the card. Not good when in a sticky situation so I guess that's how we end up here.

Anyways, they've sent an initial letter saying i have to contact them by Wednesday 21st June to arrange payment for a debt just over £1k, for a company called Arrow Global Ltd. Guess that's who the debt was sold on to.

Problem is, I have absolutely zero clue how to proceed with this as i'm particularly terrified of calling them up after reading how brutal they can be!

I've also finally gone and set up viewing my credit report on Noddle, and have noticed there's another debt to Arrow for around £2k for another account (about 5 years ago when i was a student) that i'm expecting they'll have also been instructed to chase so will probably get a letter for that in the week to.

Now, Restons have said in the letter that if i don't organise something by the 21st that they will file a CCJ, but i've heard about payplan and am considering consolidating everything through them and paying back something reasonable. Another issue though is i'm moving house at the end of the month, from a shared accommodation setup to just living on my own so my circumstances are going to change drastically then, plus i'm repaying an old council tax bill from when i lived in a previous shared house and the other person didn't pay, but cus i was part liable I have to pay that one off myself (which has already been set up by DD and am repaying £100 a month on).

So..... before i lose my head a bit, can anyone point me in the right direction for this? If i get on payplan quickly enough will that stop Restons from trying to file this CCJ as it's currently just a notice of intent?

Any info appreciated for this poor soul who is finally trying to get his finances back in track after this scare....

-Adam
    Tags: None

Re: Reston, Arrow, and getting my head out of the sand

Hello Adam,

I would send a s.77-79 CCA Request to Arrow with a copy of it to Restons solicitors.

Send both Royal Mail Recorded Delivery but the postal order for the £1 statutory fee only needs to go with your CCA Request to Arrow.

Here's a link to the template letter > http://legalbeagles.info/forums/show...=7670#post7670

When you say it's a "long forgotten credit card" when did you last pay anything towards it?

Di

Comment

Many thanks Diana,

Erm... I'd assume last payment would have been about 3-4 years ago.

I'd basically got myself in a spot of bother, had to change jobs and take a drastic pay cut in the process of this, so started getting wages paid in to a second bank account I had. Then, my previous bank closed the account shortly after that and I had to move around a couple of times and so that's kinda how I've ended up where I am.

Once again, a case of burying my head in the sand it seems.

Many thanks,

Adam

Comment

Originally posted by cbrherms View Post
        Many thanks Diana,

Erm... I'd assume last payment would have been about 3-4 years ago.

I'd basically got myself in a spot of bother, had to change jobs and take a drastic pay cut in the process of this, so started getting wages paid in to a second bank account I had. Then, my previous bank closed the account shortly after that and I had to move around a couple of times and so that's kinda how I've ended up where I am.

Once again, a case of burying my head in the sand it seems.

Many thanks,

Adam
        Hello. I am in similar type boat. And reston gave me date 20 june which is today and they said contact me quickly to pay 820 pounds or other wise we will put ccj. Now i would like to know afted received letter from restom what you did as i can see you wrote on 10th june its been 10 days over now . So please share your EXPERIENCE.

Thanks mate

Comment

Well, it'd help if I could get a hold of restons in the first place. Their whole phone system is shocking.
          No wait on hold, if no one is available when you call the switchboard person with say so and send you straight to voicemail to request a callback. To the point where I assumed the switchboard was actually an automated system.
          In total I've put in 5 requests for a call back, and they've only called the once, when I was driving. Great.
          So, afraid to say I'm still trying to get hold of someone there to talk to.

Comment

They can't just file a CCJ, they have to bring a court claim against you, which you can defend, and they'd have to win in court to get the CCJ. It's a letter before action and you can reply to it, as Diana has said, by sending Arrow a CCA request , and sending a copy to Restons with a cover letter stating it is a copy of the formal request you have sent to Arrow. It may put them off bringing the court claim for a while. They may just file their claim anyway but you have then pre-empted them and started on your defence. Have a look at the first steps for if you received a court claim here http://legalbeagles.info/forums/show...it-Court-Claim which might give you an idea what you have to look forward to. Also have a read of a number of threads in the court claim forum - particularly the concluded cases section, before you make any decisions on the tactics you want to use to deal with the debt.

You can, of course, contact them to try and come to an arrangement to pay by installment before any court action is taken. Payplan is an option of course but I would try negotiating yourself first - they will go through income/expenditure with you to set installment amounts, but often, if you can manage it, they will accept a lump sum full and final settlement of 40/50% of the debt. I'd try negotiate with Arrow directly rather than Restons too. Payplan would likely accept what Arrow tell them the debt is and you'd be paying forever and a day. Plus if the amount isn't negotiated directly it may be too low and Arrow may still take the court action.

Make sure you update your creditors with your new address when you move, particularly as it looks like you are coming up on 6 years and court actions are more likely. In letters informing them of change of address ensure you keep copies, posting receipts and put at the top that you do not acknowledge any debt to their company.
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

CCA Request send as per para 2

stay off the phone - they will think they have an easy target everything in writing with receipts, attached to copy of letters, and read other threads on the same subject you will see a pettern, @Diana M

Comment

Originally posted by MIKE770 View Post
                CCA Request send as per para 2

stay off the phone - they will think they have an easy target everything in writing with receipts, attached to copy of letters, and read other threads on the same subject you will see a pettern, @Diana M

Many thanka again to all of you guys.

I don't understand how can i enclose this 1 pound money with letter . Do i need postal order ? If yes then what would be the name on postal order?

I dont have cheques book.

- - - Updated - - -

So lovely and professional.

Many thanks for your help i was looking to type email to reston and arrow global and then letter type anf print off then sent off tommorow i dont have printer at home ..is this a good idea ? Or i just reply to them today by post which mean by next day delivery ?.

I am trying to find out how can i encloses this 1 pound money .. again thanks sir and thanks charitynjw for reply . Please keep writing your golden words.

- - - Updated - - -

Totally professional wow thanks for your reply. Please keep writing and reading my thread and iam looking to send them email or letter today to arrow and reston solicitor both

Comment

Postal Order and send Recorded Delivery attached receipt to your copy of request, e.mail are ignore by most companies unless there is an agreement to accept e-mail, then you have no proof of receipt, any short cuts can and do go wrong!

Comment

Mike ..thanks for your replies u r top star.

But i am confuse post office till person will ask what will be name on postal order so what should i say to him ..postal order on what name ? Arrow or reston ? Then this postal order will go to arrow right? I will send just copy of cca request and covering letter to reston ..m i right?

Postal order but dont know on whose name?

Comment

para 2 states to Arrow (postal Order name) and copy only of request to Restons.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X