• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

How to go about claiming NMW for sleeps ins at work

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to go about claiming NMW for sleeps ins at work

Good Morning,

I work as a Carer who does sleep ins as part of my job, I'm payed a flat fee for these sleep ins which is less than NMW. One of my colleagues recently told me that his wife (who does the same job for a different company) had been reimbursed £6000 for the sleeps she had done and Is now being payed NMW for sleeping in at work.

I've done a bit of research on the subject and it does appear that we should be getting paid NMW https://www.unison.org.uk/content/up...-Wage-2015.pdf

My question is how would I go about this? I've been working for this company for 4 and a half years and the amount of sleeps I have done is substantial.
    Tags: None

Re: How to go about claiming NMW for sleeps ins at work

It sound like your colleague is correct in regard to your "sleep-overs" qualifying for payment at NMW. The courts have found that ‘sleepover jobs’ would include roles such as residential care assistant, as their responsibilities continue throughout the night. These workers are considered to be ‘at work’ even when asleep, as their role requires them to be physically present during those hours (and to deal with any situations that may arise during the course of the shift). Where the job is a ‘sleepover’ job, all of the hours worked, including those where the worker was asleep, will count when calculating whether or not they have been paid the National Minimum Wage.

I would suggest that firstly you work out what out what you think you are owed bearing in mind the changes to the NMW rates compared to your hourly pay rate over the last 4 and a half years. Then arrange to meet with your employer for an informal chat and ask them to explain how they’ve worked out your pay and to tell you why they think you’re not entitled to be paid minimum wage for the "sleepover" time or why they think you may already be getting it. If your employer agrees they’ve made a genuine mistake, ask them to pay you what you’re owed immediately. Hopefully just by raising it informally and having all your facts clear in terms of an approximation of the sums owed and the legal case for why you should be paid the NMW for "sleep-overs" you should get the correct outcome. If they do not agree and you are not happy with their explanation of why they have not paid the NMW then in the first instance I would suggest raising a formal grievance explaining why you think you haven’t been paid enough and say you want them to pay the difference.

There is then further action you can take however I would suggest taking this a stage at a time.
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Ula thank you so much for your reply. I will follow your advice and see where that gets me.

Comment

Great hopefully it will resolve the issue but if you do need anything further we will be here.
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
        If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X