• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

CCJ set aside

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCJ set aside

I recently applied to have a ccj set aside on the grounds of defective service - the claim was made to an old address despite the claimant having my current address (and I had email correspondence to prove it.)

The claim for rent arrears on a business premises I left, the landlords agreed to allow me to surrender the lease early, but I could not afford at that time to clear the outstanding rent. Note: I paid the rent arrears in full the day before the hearing but refused the interest and costs. We had some communication through solicitors as I tried to negotiate time to pay, but they weren't very accommodating and said they would start litigation however I didn't hear anything. Solicitor at that time advised to wait and see so I was not forthcoming with any payments. Then I heard through a relative that they were telling people they had taken me to court and had a CCJ against me. I then made enquiries with the courts to find out what was happening.

I attended the hearing and represented myself, and the judge agreed to set the judgement aside, however at the end there was some discussion over the interest and costs on the side of the claimant, and the judge wrote something down about having 2 weeks to file something. Nobody explained to me what needed to happen next.

I waited to receive confirmation on writing of the judgement being set aside and any further instruction to no avail. I called the court yesterday to find out what was happening and they told me that I had to file a defence or the judgement would still stand. I'm really confused as he agreed to set it aside. I'm sure if I am supposed to be filing my defence for having the judgement set aside (I missed the deadline to submit in writing prior to the hearing) or if I am supposed to be defending the original claim.

The court said they couldn't give me any more information and that there was a backlog of notes from the hearing so I probably wouldn't get anything in writing for another two weeks meaning I would miss the deadline.

Any ideas?
    Tags: None

Re: CCJ set aside

bump

Comment

Hi Shopgirl xxx Apologies for missing your post previously, just having a read now xxx
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Okay The court are pants at explaining things to people. You SHOULD have had an order from the court confirming that the judgment was set aside and by when you had to have your defence filed. If they have a backlog they should adjust the dates on the order accordingly.

When a judgment is set aside it normally takes it back to the point it would have been had you acknowledged service, so you are allowed to file your defence. However it sounds like you are just defending the interest and costs portion of the claim, as you had paid the original arrears before the hearing and judgment. Was the judgment amount for the full amount ( arrears + interest &costs) or just for the interest&costs ?
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Hi Thank you for your reply.
          The judgement was for the arrears, interest and costs.
          I have now received the order and it states that
          1. The judgement be set aside
          2. The defendant shall file her defence by Friday 9th June and in default the claimant shall be at liberty to re-enter judgement for the balance due of the sums claimed.
          3. No order as to costs.

I have since received an extension of tim further to my request, due to not receiving the order by the deadline.

- - - Updated - - -

Am I correct in thinking that since the judgement was ordered to be set aside that they do not have grounds for claiming costs, but the interest is in question?

Comment

Okay whats your deadline now?

You have admitted and paid the arrears on the rent so that's done and dusted. You're only defending the interest and costs now.

What costs were they claiming originally ? Just court fees ?

What interest were they claiming ? 8%pa from the date you defaulted ?
            #staysafestayhome

Comment

The deadline is actually 4pm today.

Yes I have paid the arrears in full, but there were costs for interest etc on their original claim (attached)
              It is worth noting that I didn't do a runner in January 2015, in fact I continued to make payments to try and bring my rent up to date, and eventually agreed to surrender the lease in August 2016.

They also submitted a statement of costs along with their argument against the set aside for a further £1774
              Attached Files

Comment

Well there's been no order as to costs at the moment so they will be decided upon later ( the court fee £455 and £100 legal rep costs are the ones you were contending ? as well as the interet amount )

Why did you think you shouldn't be liable for their court fee / sols fee ?

Interest bit is different and you might be able to defend some of that - can they ask for Statutory interest AND commercial interest over the same period ? [MENTION=551]pt2537[/MENTION] I think that should be 'in the alternative' but seems to have been added together.
                #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                  Well there's been no order as to costs at the moment so they will be decided upon later ( the court fee £455 and £100 legal rep costs are the ones you were contending ? as well as the interet amount )

Why did you think you shouldn't be liable for their court fee / sols fee ?

Interest bit is different and you might be able to defend some of that - can they ask for Statutory interest AND commercial interest over the same period ? @pt2537 I think that should be 'in the alternative' but seems to have been added together.
                  No that in my view would be an attempt at double recovery, id argue its one or the other but not both at the same time
                  I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Thought so.

So you can defend either Statutory OR Commercial Interest but you will likely be ordered to pay one or the other.

I might get negotiating if you need to avoid that CCJ going back on your file now it's been set aside.

( You've paid the £6.5k arrears - so there's the 4.5% interest from the contract, the £455 court fee, £100 legal rep cost and either the stat interest or commercial debt interest outstanding)
                    #staysafestayhome

Comment

Thank you so, can you advise how I should word the defence?
                      Is it enough to say that I have paid the arrears?
                      Or should I as k the court for clarification on the interest.

I'm just searching for the clause which states that costs cannot be claimed when a judgement is set aside due to defective service. ie. failure to serve.

Comment

The whole judgment has been set aside due to defective service of the claim form? And yo now have to submit your defence on the interest element as the arrears sum was paid.

Your defence would only, it seems, be against the double interest - you want to argue only one of the interests can be claimed - either statutory or late payment commercial debt interest.

I'm still confused as to when you paid the arrears.
                        Note: I paid the rent arrears in full the day before the hearing but refused the interest and costs
                        Was that the day before the set-aside hearing ?
                        #staysafestayhome

Comment

Yes I paid the arrears the day before the hearing to set aside. I didn't have enough for the rest and a couple of people o spoke to said they may not come after me for it!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                          X