• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Shoplifting from Boots

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoplifting from Boots

So embarrassingly today I was caught stealing a Pregnancy test from Boots.

This is completely out of character for me, I was frightened of my current situation of thinking I may be pregnant, had no money on me and made a stupid decision feeling as if I needed answers straight away.

I was taken out back and I admitted to what I had done and apologised, the security guard searched my bag and asked me if any of the other items in my bag were stolen and I told him they were not.

I have him my ID and address and he told me I was banned from all boots stores.

No police were called but he gave me a piece of paper with RLP printed across the top and told me I would be receiving a fine of £100.

Will I receive a criminal record for this? I am concerned for my career and am totally gutted as I have worked so hard to be where I am today and am terrified this mistake will haunt me for life and creep up on me in the future.

Any feedback would be highly appreciated.

Thank you!
    Last edited by Mistake; 8th June 2017, 03:21:AM.
    Tags: None

Re: Shoplifting from Boots

Morning, No you won't have a criminal record as there's no police involvement and you haven't been charged or fined for any offence for this so consider this a warning shot. Boots have recovered the goods and there's been no loss, the store ban is up to them ( Superdrug is much cheaper anyway lol ) and the RLP letter has no standing in law in our opinion and can be ignored completely. Have a read of some other threads about RLP to see how others deal with them ( ignore them) to set your mind at ease.

Some RLP letters threaten an employee blacklist - this is rubbish and just designed to worry you into paying up.

Have you got yourself an appropriate at docs or clinic re your possible pregnancy ? or was it just a panic ?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
      Morning, No you won't have a criminal record as there's no police involvement and you haven't been charged or fined for any offence for this so consider this a warning shot. Boots have recovered the goods and there's been no loss, the store ban is up to them ( Superdrug is much cheaper anyway lol ) and the RLP letter has no standing in law in our opinion and can be ignored completely. Have a read of some other threads about RLP to see how others deal with them ( ignore them) to set your mind at ease.

Some RLP letters threaten an employee blacklist - this is rubbish and just designed to worry you into paying up.

Have you got yourself an appropriate at docs or clinic re your possible pregnancy ? or was it just a panic ?
      Thank you for your response! I've been restless all night and this really helped!

When you say I haven't been fined for this offence... the security guard said ill be receiving a fine in the most soon... does that make any difference? And if I was to put RLP will they just leave me alone after that?

Also I have booked an appointment with the doctor for this week so fingers crossed

Comment

The "fine" to which he was referring is not a fine.
        Fines are issued by the courts.
        Ths will be a demand for money (c£150) from RLP, who think they are some sort of unappointed law agency.
        They are nothing of the sort, and despite the legal language and threats of court action, their demands should be completely ignored.
        You will receive a series of four or five letters from them begging for money, which will cease if you ignore them.
        If you respond they redouble their efforts to part you from your money

The only documents you do not ignore are genuine court papers.
        However they have not recommended court action to thir clients for a number of years (ever since they lost heavily in court)

Comment

Only courts can fine you. RLP do not have any authority to "fine" anyone. There has been no loss. The goods were returned and the security man was doing what he was being paid to do. Indeed if the security man searched your bag without asking then he has committed an offence.

You will be receiving letters from RLP, in increasing shades of red and threatening dire consequences if you don't pay them. The last time they took someone to court (the Oxford case) they got thoroughly spanked by the judge and haven't tried again since. Just ignore the letters, they will eventually stop. DO NOT PAY THEM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mistake View Post
            Thank you for your response! I've been restless all night and this really helped!

When you say I haven't been fined for this offence... the security guard said ill be receiving a fine in the most soon... does that make any difference? And if I was to put RLP will they just leave me alone after that?

Also I have booked an appointment with the doctor for this week so fingers crossed
            Indeed as the others have said, it's not a fine, just a speculative invoice. When you get a letter from RLP please feel free to post it up here for a bit of reassurance. Have a mooch here
            Sticky: The Scary Letters.... RLP

for a bit of pre-warning what they will say too.

Not sure which way you're crossing your fingers, but I'll cross them the same way for you xxxx

Really do not let this Boots thing worry you, put it behind you
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
              Only courts can fine you. RLP do not have any authority to "fine" anyone. There has been no loss. The goods were returned and the security man was doing what he was being paid to do. Indeed if the security man searched your bag without asking then he has committed an offence.

You will be receiving letters from RLP, in increasing shades of red and threatening dire consequences if you don't pay them. The last time they took someone to court (the Oxford case) they got thoroughly spanked by the judge and haven't tried again since. Just ignore the letters, they will eventually stop. DO NOT PAY THEM.
              Thank you all for your responses! Feel much more at ease!

So if I ignore the letters I can be sure that nothing further will happen? As the security guard told me if I don't pay within 21 days the police will get involved and I will get a criminal record?

Comment

They cannot involve the police now. If they had wanted to do that they needed to have done it at the time. Now you have the measure of RLP. Lies, lies and more lies.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X