• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Calculating Notice Period?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calculating Notice Period?

Hello,

I resigned from my job on Friday 26th May and have to give one months notice.

Can you tell me what my official leaving date would be please?
    Tags: None

Re: Calculating Notice Period?

26th June would make sense however I believe a 'month' is defined by your pay period. Are you paid weekly, 4 weekly or monthly?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
      26th June would make sense however I believe a 'month' is defined by your pay period. Are you paid weekly, 4 weekly or monthly?
      Thank you for your message. I get paid around every 4 weeks 27th Jan, 28th Feb, March, Apr, 26th May if that helps

Comment

Notice starts to run the day after it is given, so notice of a month given on the 1st will end the 1st of the following month, making the 1st of the following month the effective date of termination. In your case your notice would end on 26 June.
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
        If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Sometimes it really is just that simple lol.

Have your employers suggested a different date?
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

[QUOTE=Ula;731894]Notice starts to run the day after it is given, so notice of a month given on the 1st will end the 1st of the following month, making the 1st of the following month the effective date of termination. In your case your notice would end on 26 June
            Last edited by Emily J; 7th June 2017, 10:18:AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ula View Post
              Notice starts to run the day after it is given, so notice of a month given on the 1st will end the 1st of the following month, making the 1st of the following month the effective date of termination. In your case your notice would end on 26 June.

Thank you both for your reply. My employer won't give me the exact date for leaving! But has given an example of if I handed my notice in on the 1st June, my last day would be the 28th June. So I worked out 28 days from Friday 26th May takes me to Thursday 22nd June as my last day?

Comment

Originally posted by Emily J View Post
                Thank you both for your reply. My employer won't give me the exact date for leaving! But has given an example of if I handed my notice in on the 1st June, my last day would be the 28th June. So I worked out 28 days from Friday 26th May takes me to Thursday 22nd June as my last day?
                Sounds like they are doing 4 weeks rather than a month. Does your contract specify a one month notice period or are you under statutory notice ? ( which would be one week for each year you have worked there - so 4 years would be 4 weeks rather than one month )
                #staysafestayhome

Comment

In my contract it states a months notice, and I've worked there for 3 years.

Comment

Okay it should be 26th June then. Think you might need to go back to your employer and ask them to confirm your last day of work and point out to them your contract states a month ( not 4 weeks )

Watched that the other day on TV - seems appropriate lol
                    #staysafestayhome

Comment

If your contract states one months notice then that is what it should be. Sounds like they are changing it to 4 weeks.
                      If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

It's like getting blood out of a stone. They don't want me to leave so are being as awkward as possible! Thank you both ever so much. Really appreciate your replies ��

Comment

Hope you can get it sorted. If you need anything further we are here.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                          X