• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Defending a Section 21 Repossession Application With Consumer Law

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defending a Section 21 Repossession Application With Consumer Law

Landlord Agrees to let a house, two acres of agricultural holding and a garden, I offer deposit and two months in advance by email, landlord agrees and informs me that I can move in any time I like. When I actually move in the landlord arrives and produces a document of standard terms which I sign promptly. The land is not mentioned in any of the standard terms.. my contention follows: Do I stand a chance?

section54 of the Law of Property Actstates specifically that no deed is necessary Inorder for a tenancy agreement to exist. Inorder for a tenancy agreement to exist it must have three essentialelements;
    • an offer
    • an acceptance of the offer
    • some payment – known as the legal term consideration

Ifthese three elements exist then a tenancy agreement is created. This contract is binding on all parties involved. Youcan avoid this by adding the wordsSubjectto Contract’ onany correspondenceconcerning the core agreement.

CORETERMS

Termsin a tenancy agreement stating the rent, the details of the property,and the length of the tenancy are core terms. Core terms are termsthat are expressed or presented in such a way that they are, or atleast are capable of being, at the forefront of the parties mind indeciding whether to enter the agreement. For example, terms that setthe price or describe the main subject matter of the contract.

STANDARDTERMS

Standardterms are terms that have not been individually negotiated.

Standardterms will only be effective if they have been properly incorporatedinto the contract between the two parties.

Regulationsapply a test of fairness to most standard terms (terms that have notbeen individually negotiated) in contracts used by businesses withconsumers. (The test does not apply to core terms that set the priceor describe the main subject matter of the contract. )

Theterms must not put either party in a disadvantageous position, enableone party to change terms unilaterally without a valid reason orirrevocably bind a party to terms with which they have had no time tobecome familiar. An unfair term is not valid in law and cannot beenforced.

Thus,regulation 5 (1) provides that a standard term is unfair 'if,contrary to the requirement of good faith, it causes a significantimbalance in the parties' rights and obligations arising under thecontract, to the detriment of the consumer'.

Thiswould include any term that deprives a party of a right which theyalready enjoy. Specifically in the case before us, the right tooccupy as the tenant to invest in and improve a business establishedon agricultural land in excess of two acres and let with a house.

However,this is a situation which the housing act 1988, as amended, makesspecific provisions for, since it is an arrangement that is quitewithout the scope of the six months short hold tenancy agreement.

Thusit would seem fair to maintain that the whole contract consisting ofstandard terms, not negotiated with me, that was unilaterally imposedupon me, after the fact, is unfair in relation to consumer law andimpractical in relation to the 1988 housing act, as amended, andcannot therefore be the valid subject of a section 21 applicationtoday.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
X