• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Restons/Capquest VS DreamX

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restons/Capquest VS DreamX

Received a claim? Yes
    Issue Date: 02/05/2017
    Amount approx: £3500
    Claimant: Capquest
    Solicitor: Restons
    Original Creditor: Shop Direct
    Particulars of Claim: Please type out in full excluding names/account numbers: The claimant claims payment of the overdue balance from the defendant under a contrat between the defendant and shop direct dated on or about Dec 16 2011 and assigned to the claimant on May 23 2014 - Particulars a/c no ******** Date 20/03/2017 default balance - value 3535.95 - Post Refrl Cr - NIL - TOTAL 3535.95
    Is the debt Statute Barred? No
    List any letters you have sent: CCA and CPR
    Any Other Info:

Hi guys! Hope you are all well!

I'm just after some advice on the above claim if you don't mind...I have followed the advice from the forums so far and acknowledged the claim - Sent the CCA and the CPR. I've just come back from holiday and this is the response I've had from Restons... If you could take a look at the attached file and advise me the best steps to respond to this?

Regards
    Attached Files
    Tags: None

Re: Restons/Capquest VS DreamX

Hi DreamX

It's just their usual stock response to a CPR 31 request.
    You could make a Part 18 follow-up request for the same info....give them something to think about!
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Hi

That is, from what I see a typical Restons response
      I am not sure what you asked for in your request but from the POC it should have been the contract and arguably the notice of assignment but they don't actually mention that.

I don't really see much point in responding as you have an outstanding CCA request

However you could use a Part 18 request to ask specific questions such as

On what date was the notice of assignment issued
      On what date was the default notice issued
      What was the remedy date on the DN
      What was the remedy amount on the DN

However that might be better left until you have your defence in

Have you sent a SAR to shop direct? If not it will be money well spent if you do as it will tell you some of the answers to the above questions but who knows Restons will actually know it

Have you posted elsewhere on the forum about the details of the debt? - just helps to give greater background and not duplicate advice given

Your defence is due Monday so you need to get onto that - MCOL does often not work very well over the weekends

I think in order to give a full defence you need to mention some of the things that they will need to prove to win
      1) Your S78(1) and it is S78(6) that bars enforcement during non compliance
      2) A S87(1) Default notice needs to be served in the correct format - you do not recall receiving one and you request the claimant be put to strict proof a compliant one was correctly served
      3) A notice of assignment between shop direct and the claimant should have been served , you do not recall receiving one and the claimant is put to strict proof etc
      3) In order to be able to bring a claim the claimant needs to be entitled to , the account needs to have been assigned in accordance with the Law of Property Act and the claimant etc etc
      4) The claimant is requested to produce the deed of assignment in order to prove an absolute assignment took place or else the claim should be struck out

It is a load of techno babble and don't ask me what it all means

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
        Hi DreamX

It's just their usual stock response to a CPR 31 request.
        You could make a Part 18 follow-up request for the same info....give them something to think about!
        Thanks for the quick reply!

Is the part 18 follow up REQUEST in the templates section??

Also...I need to start thinking about putting my defence in this weekend...should I just put it as a basic "failure to comply with cca/cpr request" style defence?

Regards

Comment

Part 18 requests are quite specific and as such there are no templates but you can google them

Yes use a non disclosure template but modify it and include the areas i suggested

maybe post it up here for a quick proof read

I alway like 1.5 or double spacing , this makes it much easier to read, students have to use it

Comment

Originally posted by DreamX View Post
            Thanks for the quick reply!

Is the part 18 follow up REQUEST in the templates section??

Just a letter, headed CPR 18 request, [Capquest] v [DreamX] Claim no. [XXXXXXXX]
            Ask for the documentation again.
            You could also ask questions - "What happened....?", "Who did.....?", etc.
            But a Part 18 must be used exclusively for those purposes; no other issues should be included in the letter.
            It helps if each thing requested is numbered.
            Give them a reasonable time to comply......14 days? 28 days?
            As always, keep a copy & get proof of posting.

Also...I need to start thinking about putting my defence in this weekend...should I just put it as a basic "failure to comply with cca/cpr request" style defence?
            Pretty much, yes.

Regards
            ####
            CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys...

Is there a default defence template I can use to get me started then edit/add the relevant information to my case?

Regards

Comment

Defence Example

Should give you a starting point
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi again guys...

I'm going to try and file my defence tonight so I'd be grateful if you guys could take a quick look...it's short and sweet hopefully!

Thanks in advance!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1: I received the claim D******** from the Northampton County Court
                  on 05/05/2017

2: Each and every allegation in the Claimants statement of case is
                  denied unless specifically admitted in this Defence.

3: This claim appears to be for a Catalogue Account agreement
                  regulated under the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

4: It is denied that the Defendant has previously entered into an
                  agreement/agreements with Shop Direct for provision of credit.

5: The Claimants statement of case fails to give adequate
                  information to enable me to properly assess my position with
                  regards the claim.

6. The particulars of claim fail to accurately state when the
                  agreement was entered into.

7. The Claimants statement of case states that the account was
                  assigned from Shop Direct to Capquest Investments Limited on
                  23/05/2014. The Defendant does not recall receiving notice of this
                  assignment.

8. It is denied that Shop Direct served any Default notice on the
                  Defendant pursuant to s87 Consumer Credit Act 1974. The Claimant
                  is required to prove that a compliant Default Notice was served
                  upon the Defendant.

9: On the 16/05/2017 I sent a request for inspection of documents
                  mentioned in the claimants statement of case under Civil Procedure
                  Rule 31.14 to Restons Solicitors. I requested the Claimant provide
                  copies of the Contract and Notice of Assignment.

10. Restons Solicitors has not sent any of these documents to me.

11. On the 16/05/2017 I sent a formal request for a copy of the
                  original agreement to Capquest pursuant to section 78 of the
                  Consumer Credit Act 1974 along with the statutory £1 fee.

12. The Claimant has failed to comply with s78 (1) Consumer Credit
                  Act 1974 and by virtue of s78 (6) Consumer Credit Act 1974 cannot
                  enforce the agreement.

13. Under Civil Procedure Rule 16.5 (4) Where the claim includes a
                  money claim, a defendant shall be taken to require that any
                  allegation relating to the amount of money claimed be proved
                  unless he expressly admits the allegation. Therefore It is
                  expected that the Claimant be required to prove the allegation
                  that the money is owed as claimed.

14. I request the court orders the Claimants to provide the
                  necessary documentation in order for me to fully plead my case
                  else the Claim should stand struck out.

15. In the event that the relevant documents are received from the
                  Claimants I will then be in a position to amend my defence, and
                  would ask that the Claimants bear the costs of the amendment.

Statement of Truth

The Defendant believes that the facts stated in this Defence are
                  true.

Signed …………………………………………

Dated .................................................. ....

Comment

Hi
                    A couple of points - you are denying you ever had a shop direct account, is that true?
                    Remember you are signing a statement of truth so telling porkies is not a good idea. Not remembering is very different from saying categorically you didn't.

I don't see any harm in admitting you had , in the past some financial dealings with shop direct but you can not recal the exact details - I certainly can't remember all the details of my credit agreement

Where you say about assignment you need to be putting them to prof that they have the right under statute ( i think is the phrase) to bring a claim and request disclosure of the deed of assignment to prove their rights
                    [MENTION=5553]charitynjw[/MENTION] - you are better than me at picking up details - any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by warwick65 View Post
                      Hi
                      A couple of points - you are denying you ever had a shop direct account, is that true?
                      Remember you are signing a statement of truth so telling porkies is not a good idea. Not remembering is very different from saying categorically you didn't.

I don't see any harm in admitting you had , in the past some financial dealings with shop direct but you can not recal the exact details - I certainly can't remember all the details of my credit agreement

Where you say about assignment you need to be putting them to prof that they have the right under statute ( i think is the phrase) to bring a claim and request disclosure of the deed of assignment to prove their rights
                      @charitynjw - you are better than me at picking up details - any thoughts?
                      Hey...thanks for the quick reply...

That was just the wording of the defence template I pulled from here...would it sound better as "the Defendant is unable to identify such an account within his own records."

Thanks

Comment

Hi
                        Yes I think so, the template is just that - a guide.

You need to be very careful about making a statement of truth that the enemy could disprove, that might be a letter you have written or something else.

My defence acknowledged I had previous dealings with the credit card company but was unable to identify the details from the particulars

Comment

It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief as claimed or at all.
                          Tack that on the end, just above the statement of truth. (Numbered appropriately)
                          CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                          Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Hi again guys,

Bit of an update on this one...after submitting my defence I received a letter from restons basically saying that my defence would not stand up etc etc and that I should admit. That was back in June and I've not heard anything since? I've logged into the moneyclaim online service and it simply says:

*Your defence was submitted on 05/06/2017 at 08:01:55
                            * Your defence was received on 05/06/2017 at 12:01:54

There is nothing further after this? I was under the impression there was a time limit for submitting a defence? What steps should I take next?

Thanks

Comment

Once Restons have received your defence they have 28 days to decide if they wish to proceed or if the claim should become stayed. It would appear that this claim is stayed - if you want to double check give the court a call ( but not restons )

Have you received any of the documents you have requested, either from Restons or Capquest?

I must admit, considering the age of the account I am somewhat surprised they have not at least had a go at sending a recon of the agreement.

If the claim is stayed, Restons will need to apply to lift the stay but that is usually just a tick box exercise and they will proceed. I would wait a while,(maybe until after xmas) see if they provide any documents and then review your options.

Obviously if they do send anything or lift the stay , there will be someone willing to help

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X