• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Legal status of loan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal status of loan

Hi everyone

I have a question and hope someone can advise me as soon as possible.*

A few weeks ago, I started working for a new employer. This person offered to lend me some money (£700) from his iwn accountvand not the company bank account, to help me until first pay day. I asked if he wanted me to sign a letter detailing the loan and repayments and he said he was not bothered about signing anything.

About two weeks ago, the employment was terminated and I left the business having worked only one week!

Now this petson is demanding immediate repayment of the loan, which I cannot do as I am unemployed and looking for work.*

He has now asked me to sign a letter stating when I will make the repayment and wants the money in one month.

As I offered to make a formal arrangement at the time and he refused, what is the legal situation regarding this? Does he have the right to make demand of repayment when there was never a written agreement in place?

I hope some one can please help me as this is worrying me a lot.

I look forward to any feedback and advice as soon as possible.*

Many thanks

David
    Tags: None

Re: Legal status of loan

How was the loan paid to you, was it cash or via a bank transfer?

Seems a bit silly of anyone to lend a new employee 700 without some surety

Have they made any deductions from your weeks pay?

Comment

Re: Legal status of loan

Hi Warwick

Thanks for the response.

It is a strange matter, but the employer was extremely sympathetic to my financial situation as I had been out of work for over 6 months prior to his job offer.
      However, after the first week, the job role was changed completely from a field-based role to an internal telesales Role, I had NEVER applied for this role and when we discussed it, the revised role was with a substantial reduction in salary and withdrawal of a company car, making it impossible to get to the office, so he said if I did not like the new terms then to leave. At this point no contract of employment had been issued.

In relation to a deduction from my salary of one week, firstly, this money was in two bank transfers from his personal account and NOT the company account, so I don't see he could deducted anything from this week of e ages, and secondly, as nothing was signed to make a repayment agreement, surely he could not deduct from my wages without formally notifying me first?

I am confused and worried. He is demanding repayment within one month and I only get just over this sum of £700 in benefits so paying this in one month is impossible.
      I guess I should make him a payment plan proposal based on my finances at tje moment and hope he sees sense in this?

For background information, currently I am working with StepChange debt charity as I have some £16,000 of priority debts, and they have advised me that this 'loan' is not seen as a priority one and will be addressed at the end of my payments for priorities out of what I have left.

As you see this is a real mess and I am beside myself with worry.

Any further comments or advise will be gratefully received.

Many thanks
      David

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X