• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Caught shoplifting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caught shoplifting

Hi, yesterday a friend and I were caught shoplifting in a supermarket. I have never felt so bad, I am really embarrassed.
    The guard told us that we will receive a letter to pay £150, we are leaving the country and the house we are living now in a week. Do you know how does it take to receive that letter? And what happen if it is sent but we don't receive it? The police was not called.
    Thank too so much
    Tags: None

Re: Caught shoplifting

Nothing will happen and if you are no returning then don't worry about it. If you are then you'll receive a number of letters threatening you with court but considering that they recovered the goods then there is no loss to the supermarket and they probably banned you from their shops as well.
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
      Nothing will happen and if you are no returning then don't worry about it. If you are then you'll receive a number of letters threatening you with court but considering that they recovered the goods then there is no loss to the supermarket and they probably banned you from their shops as well.
      Thank you very much for your answer. So if I don't receive the letter because I'm no living in that house anymore and the landlord do not send it to me, nothing happens? And if I don't pay it, will I have any problems in the future when coming back to the country?
      Thanks

Comment

If you can prove that you have a good reason why did not receive the letter, 'they' can't prove that it was legally brought to your notice.

& judging by all the similar threads/posts that I've seen on LB, it is unlikely in the extreme that it will go any further than a few 'scary' letters.
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
          If you can prove that you have a good reason why did not receive the letter, 'they' can't prove that it was legally brought to your notice.

& judging by all the similar threads/posts that I've seen on LB, it is unlikely in the extreme that it will go any further than a few 'scary' letters.
          I doubt that is actually relevant. This is the old, RLP letter. They got caught shoplifting by in store workers. The goods were recovered and no damage to them. No police were called so whether they receive the letter or not is totally irrelevant because they can simply bin it anyway. Unless it is sent recorded delivery(it won't) then there is no proof of receipt.

Comment

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
            Unless it is sent recorded delivery(it won't) then there is no proof of receipt.
            Morning, leclerc.

7References to service by post.

Where an Act authorises or requires any document to be served by post (whether the expression “serve” or the expression “give” or “send” or any other expression is used) then, unless the contrary intention appears, the service is deemed to be effected by properly addressing, pre-paying and posting a letter containing the document
            http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1978/30/section/7
            CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
            Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
            gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
            The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
              I know I highlighted that bit and said about recorded delivery bit. However, what is advised with RLP? Your post suggested defending the non receipt of a letter yet there is no reason to even care whether it is received or not.

Am I out of touch with how we advise on these RLP letters or has it changed again?
              [MENTION=39710]des8[/MENTION] I'm confused
              Do nothing and ignore all letters.

Comment

The advice remans basically the same ie IGNORE.
                A general rule of thumb is to ignore as cvil recovery firms are wary of court ever snce the Oxford case.
                Remember tho' that that was a properly defended case, and it is always possible that if RLP thought a case would not be defended they would proceed to court (hence the warning never to ignore genuine court papers)

In this instance I would be a little concerned that the OP was going abroad for a time.
                It might happen that letters are returned to RLP marked "gone away"
                RLP might then initiate court action and obtain a CCJ by default, and hope to obtain settlement at a later date.
                The OP might then have to decide to pay up or apply for set aside and defend the case

I know it's a whole lot of "mights", but depending on what the OP's long term plans are, perhaps he should be putting in place an action plan to intercept RLP'sletters.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X