• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

SMART Parking, incorrect registration number entered

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMART Parking, incorrect registration number entered

I've been hit with a parking charge notice from Smart after inadvertently entering a 'Y' at the end of my car registration number. I've appealed to Smart who state the charge is still payable, despite paying the correct fee for my visit. Is their any point now appealing to POPLA? Any advice gratefully received.
    Tags: None

Re: SMART Parking, incorrect registration number entered

Was this an extra character is instead of another?

Comment

No, I put my registration number in and apparently a 'Y' was also at the end of it, I'm pretty sure my registration number was accurate when I pressed confirm.

Comment

Hi & welcome to LB

Where do you live? (E/W/S/NI)
        Did you get a windscreen ticket or (notification to driver) at the time?
        What was the parking event date, and the date on the Notice to Keeper letter?
        Have you kept the envelope in which the letter was sent?

& btw, do not identify the driver..... if/when you communicate or appeal, write as 'Registered Keeper', & do not say 'I did this, I did that....

CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Hi, thanks for responding. I live in England. It happened on 19/04 and I received a Parking Charge Notice on 25/04. I do still have the envelope in which the notice was received.

Comment

From what you say it would appear that you are outside of the 28 day period allowed for a POPLA appeal.

Could you confirm this?
            CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

Comment

No, I'm still within the POPLA timeframe, I've only just had my challenge rejected by Smart.

Comment

Edit......to look at the posts again.

Imho it's always best to go through the appeals process.
                But you'll have to balance your decision with the fact that it takes time & effort versus paying the extortionate fee & being free of it.
                Last edited by charitynjw; 29th May 2017, 09:47:AM.
                CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                Phelps, C. C.

Comment

So their equipment malfunctioned and added an extra character after you entered your VRN. Two things on this. 1) The software should know which cars are in the car park and refuse to accept a VRN that is not recognised as matching the ANPR data 2) The software should know the format of a VRN and not accept an invalid VRN.

Comment

Thanks Ostell, sound advice, I'll use that as a basis of my appeal.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X