• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Failing to provide information - advice required please!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failing to provide information - advice required please!

Hello - new user here so please forgive any faux pas!

I wondered if anyone can provide some advice...I was caught speeding in October, in a car in my wife's name. She duly gave my details following the request for details and they then sent me a NIP which I filled in and sent back. I was then sent a reminder, I thought it odd as I'd already replied but sent it back regardless.

A few weeks later I'd heard nothing so I called the Central Processing Unit to make them aware I was wanting to admit the offence, had sent two forms back but heard nothing. They sent a further form, which I filled in and returned.

Worth stating here I sent all back standard post (my first mistake, I know but I am where I am).

Fast forward to April and I get a notice that I need to plead Guilty or not guilty to the charge of 'failing to provide information'. In light of the fact I've got enough on my plate with various other issues caused by my own stupid mistakes, I pleaded guilty but added my notes in the mitigation box regarding the forms I'd sent back. My logic for this is that I cannot prove I did post them back, I've no witness, no proof of posting etc. I figured the quickest, cheapest and least time consuming resolution would be to plead guilty and accept a magistrate fine and points (assumption on what they'd do).

I've now been sent a notice to say my hearing has been adjourned because 'As the court cannot accept your plea of guilty in view of what you said about the offence. You must attend the next hearing to clarify your please to the court.'

Now I'm a little concerned, I'm unsure if this is me now having to defend the fact I sent back the letters (the thing I had opted not to do because I can;t prove it), or is this for me to attend to explain my whole situation, show my remorse and await the sentence/fine/whatever on the day and hope it's lenient based on the info given?

If anyone has either experience of this, or has some legal expertise to provide a view I'd be most grateful. I'm frustrated but more at myself as I should have sent the forms back recorded delivery or something, but I'm convinced the fact I actively called them has to stand for something, all I wanted to do was pay the speeding fine but I needed their response to the form they never received to do this.

Apologies for the ramble - hopefully someone can clarify for me!

Many thanks!
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X