• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bought Car from Dealer - Has broken down 3 times in 4 weeks!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought Car from Dealer - Has broken down 3 times in 4 weeks!

Hello,

I purchased a car from a small dealer at the beginning of April for £1,600. On driving it home, an Oil Pressure fault showed up. I contacted the dealer and he had it taken to a garage and they replaced a collapsed oil filter. Two weeks later (and less than 20 miles), the car failed to start. I contacted the dealer who was out of the country but he arranged for the vehicle to go back to the garage where they found that the fuel pump had gone. That was replaced and the car returned to me.

This morning just as I arrived in work, the stop light came on and the oil pressure fault started beeping again… I have not contacted the dealer yet but am looking for some advice before I do.

The car only had 69K miles on the clock, and having driven less than 100 of them myself, the car has had three serious faults. My question is:

1. Should I contact the dealer, hope he gets it fixed again and cross my fingers? – It’s starting to look like there are some underlying issues with the car!

Or should I;

1. Contact him and ask for a full refund and walk away. If this is the option I go with, I understand there is law that would allow me to get a refund if the car is sold unfit for purpose, but I’m unsure exactly what this is, what it covers and what the obligations of the dealer are…

I’d be grateful for any information you can provide on this as if he tries to wriggle out of giving my money back I’d like to know my rights.

Many thanks in advance.
    Tags: None

Re: Bought Car from Dealer - Has broken down 3 times in 4 weeks!

As you have had the car for less than 6 months, and it appears not to be of satisfactory quality, you have the right to reject the vehicle and receive a refund of the price paid.

The dealer has the right to one attempt to put the vehicle right (he's had 2?), and deduct from the refund an amount to reflect the usage you have had from the car.

Relevant legislation is Consumer Rights Act 2015

Comment

The consumer has 30 days to reject a car for breach of the implied terms . The consumer can choose to have the car repaired but is not obligated to.

After 30 days the dealer has 'one shot' at repairing the car. If this doesn't work then the car can be rejected. This is known as the 'one shot rule'.

Comment

So you need to write to the dealer and tell him that you are rejecting the car within the 30 day rule of the Consumer Rights Act because of the faults. Ask him to make arrangements to come and pick it up (aty his cost!) and to refund your money. Get that letterr in as soon as you can so youo don't go over the 30 days.

While the car was away being fixed the clock stopped on the 30 day timeout.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your help so far - It's very much appreciated. I have informed him I am rejecting the car and am awaiting his response.

Just one other question at this stage - When I purchased the car, on signing the log book, I noticed it was in the name of the previous owner who had traded it in... Is this normal practice for a car dealer? My reason for concern is that if I reject the car, and return it to the dealer and he does the same with me (i.e. leave the log book in my name before selling it on to someone else) - will it look like I have sold the the car on to someone, therefor making me liable at all?

Thanks again,

Comment

When you return the car to the dealer, remove the small section called V5C/2, which you complete and hand to the dealer.
            You then simplyinform the DVLA online of your vehicle’s change of ownership. The log book (V5C) does not getpassed on!)

https://www.gov.uk/sold-bought-vehicle/y/private-vehicle-owner/sold-your-vehicle-to-a-private-individual-or-business

Not sure if you are still within the Short Term right to reject time limit as your postings are not clear on the timings, but you still have the final right to reject
            Last edited by des8; 26th May 2017, 15:33:PM. Reason: added DVLA link

Comment

Originally posted by TunX View Post

Just one other question at this stage - When I purchased the car, on signing the log book, I noticed it was in the name of the previous owner who had traded it in... Is this normal practice for a car dealer? My reason for concern is that if I reject the car, and return it to the dealer and he does the same with me (i.e. leave the log book in my name before selling it on to someone else) - will it look like I have sold the the car on to someone, therefor making me liable at all?

Thanks again,
              Car was "IN TRADE" and is normal practice. No you will not be liable when car is resold.

Follow Des8 advice.

Comment

It is now past 30 days calendar but the clock stopped when the car was in for repair. Allowing for that it could still be within the 30 days.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X