• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

How long to submit breach of contract claim?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long to submit breach of contract claim?

I took my ex-employer to a tribunal for unfair dismissal but I lost. In the written judgement the judge confirmed several areas where the employer had not carried out the disciplinary process as per disciplinary procedures. As the disciplinary procedures formed part of my employment contract, this amounted to a breach of contract.

Its been a couple of years since i was dismissed and wondered what the time limit was on bringing a claim for breach of contract in this instance (not to an employment tribunal because that avenue is no longer open)

Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: How long to submit breach of contract claim?

I'll give [MENTION=51026]Ula[/MENTION] & [MENTION=26290]mariefab[/MENTION] a nudge for you.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by Dominic View Post
      I took my ex-employer to a tribunal for unfair dismissal but I lost. In the written judgement the judge confirmed several areas where the employer had not carried out the disciplinary process as per disciplinary procedures. As the disciplinary procedures formed part of my employment contract, this amounted to a breach of contract.

Its been a couple of years since i was dismissed and wondered what the time limit was on bringing a claim for breach of contract in this instance (not to an employment tribunal because that avenue is no longer open)

Thanks
      A breach of contract claim would fall under s5 Limitation Act 1980, so would have a limitation period of 6 years from the accrual of the cause of action
      I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Thanks. That now leads to my next question; how much is a breach of contract likely to be worth? I lost my job so what could I claim for?

Comment

I would advise to think carefully before taking any legal action against your ex-employer. Ask yourself what you want to achieve and whether it would be worth the cost. You will only get compensation (called 'damages') if you can prove real financial loss there is no compensation for distress or hurt feelings.

As you would be pursuing the claim via the civil courts you should be aware they are governed by the Civil Procedure Rules which are more complex and formal than the Employment Tribunal Rules of Procedure. Also the losing party does generally have to pay the winner's legal costs (although it is unlikely that this would amount to paying 100% of the winner's legal costs).
          [MENTION=551]pt2537[/MENTION] may be able to give you better advice on the process and likely costs than I can.
          If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
          If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

My financial loss was the loss of my salary. I havent been able to get a similar job since and am being turned down for other jobs because im seen as too over qualified. If I could recoup some or all of that salary I lost then I would offset that against the cost of taking action, see whats left and then decide if its worthwhile taking action.

Do breach of contract damages include loss of earnings? If they dont then there is no point me carrying on with it.

There is no doubt the contract was breached, all the evidence and admissions are contained within the ET bundle; so proving it wont be a problem.
            Last edited by Dominic; 27th May 2017, 10:54:AM.

Comment

I am finding mixed information online as to whether loss of earnings can be included in damages. I would have thought it would because it is still a financial loss but some sites are saying i can only claim lost earnings for any notice period I wasnt paid. Surely if an ET has the ability to award for lost earning and future lost earnings, then a county court should also be able to award those things in the case of a breach of contract. Another worrying thing is that some sites are saying the value of my case must be over £40,000 to go to a county court, below that is dealt with by ET. Can anyone give some clarification on the above. Thanks

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X