• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help,advice needed - should I go to court, and route to take against a letting agent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help,advice needed - should I go to court, and route to take against a letting agent

Hi Guys

Hoping someone can help. I am a landlord. I live abroad and use a letting agent to fully manage my property.

I used the services of one letting agent, who turned out to be appalling. I left them after 5 months. They were so bad, I felt I had a duty to go to the Ombudsman and report the issues to them, in the hope the letting agent would improve and so prevent the same happening to other landlords.

Five (!) months later, the Ombudsman have finally ruled I am due compensation of £175. Whilst it is a miracle the Ombudsman awarded anything, or found any fault against the agent (I have read and been told of much bias form the Ombudsman) this nowhere mitigates losses I have suffered. For example, the agent did not get outstanding balances from my last agent so never chased for rent. Because they never chased arrears built of some £2500, despite me reminding the agent to chase. They allowed their contractors to charge me commission on works done but were never upfront about this. They neglected repairs...and the list really does go on and on.

However I am unsure what to do. Accept the Ombudsmans offer and that be an end to it or go to court? I have to let the Ombudsman know by 30 May. I appreciate this is difficult to answer without seeing all my evidence.

If I go to court, can anyone advise what are my options. The claim will be well under £10,000 so it will be the small claims. Can I go down the MCOL route, or do I find a no win, no fee solicitor, as I am uncertain of winning although I feel my evidence is compelling?

Many thanks for any help.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X