• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Parking fine at the hospital I work in

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parking fine at the hospital I work in

Dear LB community,

I received a PCN whilst a new work place in Oxford's Churchill Hospital. I am a staff member and pay a monthly premium of £60 to park on site.

On 10th April and 11th April I received a windscreen PCN for parking in the car park but 'casuing an obstruction'. I must admit that whilst having looked for some time for a parking space and being unable to find one - I did indeed park outside of a bay along with 5-10 other cars which I have taken a picture off. I was closest to a fire entrance but again pictured myself NOT obstructing it. The ticket itself and none of the signage around the car park mentions them being members of the BPA or any other such regulatory body

30 days later I received the letter from Trethowan solicitors acting on behalf of the hospital.

I am going to make a formal complaint to the hospital car parking services and escalate to the head of facilities but is there anything else I should do with the letter from the solicitors.

I am aware of a colleague who recently lost his fight against a car parking ticket at the hospital although I'm not sure of the details of his case per se - can be easily found by googling 'chris darby parking oxford'

I'd be most grateful for any assistance
    Attached Files
    Tags: None

Re: Parking fine at the hospital I work in

I am aware of a colleague who recently lost his fight against a car parking ticket at the hospital although I'm not sure of the details of his case per se - can be easily found by googling 'chris darby parking oxford'
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...=tmgoff_fb_tmg

Surgeon who couldn't find hospital parking space *fined after he dumped car in rush to treat patients

*The newspaper's words, not mine.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Out of interest, have you named the driver?
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

I think a copy of the signage in that car park would help, ie is your alleged misdemeanour actual on the sign.

Comment

A quick look through the "Staff Travel and Car Parking Policy" (http://www.ouh.nhs.uk/working-for-us...ngPolicyv1.pdf) threw up these:

38. Parking on Trust premises is at the owner’s risk.
          The Trust does not accept liability forany damage or loss to vehicles or possessions, howsoever caused, whilst parked on Trustproperty.
          The Trust is also unable to accept responsibility for any inconsiderate ordiscourteous parking causing obstruction to others, although will make every effort tocontact the driver if it is a staff member involved and they can be traced.
          The Trust doesnot have any methods of contacting non-staff to request they move their vehicles.
          BCN’swill be issued to any vehicle that is parked in a dangerous / obstructive position, forexample:
           in disabled parking spaces, unless displaying a valid disabled badge;
           on double red or yellow lines;
           obstructing other vehicles;
           in loading bays;
           in ambulance bays;
           patient drop off / collection points;
           in ambulance car / volunteer driver bays unless they are such drivers and onofficial business;
           in roads marked as access/service road only, or fire roads
          This is not an exhaustive list.

107 To assist drivers, road signage, in keeping with the type and style depicted in theHighway Code and therefore familiar to drivers, is, as far as possible, used on Trustpremises to prevent unauthorised parking and to eliminate obstructive parking, withparticular reference to access for all emergency service vehicles.

You didn't say if by parking outside a bay, you were parked on double red or yellow lines.
          What is dangerous or obstructive may be in the eye of the beholder.

The breach as detailed in that letter.... it seems they aren't sure exactly what you did or didn't do.

Did you appeal the BCN (breach of contract notice, not PCN!!)?

Photographs of the spot you parked in might be useful.

Comment

Hi,

I haven't named the driver.

I have not made any appeals to the BCN as yet

There were no road markings but it was near (but not obstructing) a gate. The gate could fully open despite where I was parked

Attached are the signage around the car park as well as the area I was parked in

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X