• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council tax arrears pasted on to tenant by landlord.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council tax arrears pasted on to tenant by landlord.

Hi, I am a newbie and would like help from anyone with knowledge of council tax and who is responsible for the bill. I will explain as best i can as even the council advisers do not seem to understand what i am trying to tell them.
    I moved in a 6 room hmo in Jan 2013 and signed a ast or 12 months that id renew every 1 of April. The 2 ground floor rooms are studios that had been converted but not reported to Harrow council. As the landlord received the council tax bill he had told all tenants that all bills inc ctax were included in the rent. This is evidant by the £830 a month rent being charged for the 2 studio rooms. As he paid the ctax..the ast says tenants are responsible for cyax which did nit apply to us as he got the bill to his home address. In May 2016 the house got banded for ctax so studio 1 and 2 were banded A and 3-6 were banded C. A few months later a ctax bill came in the land lords name for studio 1 for £2503 and studio 2 for £2503 and rooms 3-6 for ???? I dt know as that bill he kept. It was onlly when the LL went on holiday in july that the bill for studio 1 for the same amount came in my name and studio 2 in the tenants name and they were back dated to 22 Oct 2014. I called the council to tell em tjat the landlord is respobsible for ctax as it was included in rent but they said he had listed me as the payer for flat 1 (name even changed) as it says so in the lease. I was told someone will call me back within two days but all i got was a letter sayin i had 7 days to pay or it go to collections. I called the council back and was told it was between me and the landlord. A few days later i reached a ladt at the council who understood what i ws trying to say as the landlord had passed ctax on to me...claimed a refund and ws still paying for room 3-6. Making my point that if tenants are respobsibke for ctax why is ll still paying for rooms 3-6?? But even after all that...they say uts between me amd ll. I asked what are they there fir apart from sendind out demands fir payment?? All that has happened is i now hv a ccj cos i did not pay landlard rent for 3 months so he tok me to courtand the judgedid not evenkeep my reason in mind and on 22 may i have to leave the house. Can anyobe advise?? Shud i take ll to court??
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X