• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

caught shoplifting 2 items from primark - age 17

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• caught shoplifting 2 items from primark - age 17

I was caught stealing from primark today. I know it was very stupid but i just needed some more leggings because all of mine have holes in and i don't have the money to pay (and probably a bad thought process but thought if i did have extra money it'd be spent leggings that would tear somewhere in a week or 2)
    I walked out but as i left the shop i was ushered back in by a security guard with my friend, who straight away i said had nothing to do with it so she didn't have to write her details. they threatened me with the police but i asked for the other option, which was me going to be fined. I had to prove my identity and address and write it down with my DOB. I was told i would be banned from primark for 6 months but then they also said i would receive a fine. I was searching online and it said £174 but i didn't even have the money spare to buy clothes in the first place.
    i know it was stupid but i was desparate for new clothes as i've spent my money on my food and i buy most my clothes and my sisters from charity shops. Please help!
    Tags: None

Re: caught shoplifting 2 items from primark - age 17

Hi nat_123, welcome to LB.

This thread from a few days ago about says it all.
    http://legalbeagles.info/forums/show...rk-shoplifting
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Hi and welcome.

I'm sure you'll see from all the other threads on LB (just search Retail Loss Prevention) that all you need to do is ignore any begging letters.

I note you are only 17.
      If you are still living at home I would advise that you let your parents know what has happened.
      It is possible that RLP will (if they get no response from you) write to your parents under the guise that you are possibly a vulnerable child!
      It is of course, just a ploy to put pressure on your parents.
      Better they hear from you rather than RLP!

Comment

Hi, thank you

yes i'm 17 and i'm really scared about it all. Ive also applied for my ESTA for the US and when doing so i obviously clicked no arrests (it was a couple of days ago) would this class as an arrest? Even though the police were not involved?

Comment

also, the security guards hadn't caught me in person they had seen me on CCTV. could this be used against me?

Comment

No police.... no record..... no arrest.

" could this be used against me?" only if it was a bad hair day!

Comment

I'm 13 and I got caught shoplifting today, can someone please tell me what they will do? They took my name and address and I'm from the UK

Comment

hi and welcome

They (that is the shop) will pass your details to another company (possibly called Retail Loss Prevention).
                That company will then write letters asking you to pay a large amount of money for some imagined losses they say you have caused the shop.

I assume the shop recovered their goods, and they were of low value and so you can ignore their letters, although they will be rather scary.
                Are the shop aware of your age?
                It is possible that the company will write to your parents or guardian, so I would advise that you confide in them now.
                It will be much better if they hear about the incident from you rather than in a letter from a company.
                Yes, it will be embarrassing, they might shout a little as they will initially be shocked, but hopefully they will soon calm down and realise it is not the crime of the century.
                Hopefully they will then support you.
                If you wish you can point them in this direction so we can advise them about Retail Loss Prevention

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post

No police.... no record..... no arrest.

" could this be used against me?" only if it was a bad hair day!

CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                  Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                  gets his brain a-going.
                  Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                  The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X