Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help needed with Lowell and Small Claims Track

• Display
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Help needed with Lowell and Small Claims Track

Quote Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
    Hmm okay, well you covered every avenue there lol Don't worry.... Well while I have a ponder can you get the CPR and CCA letters sorted and posted please.

CCA Request || CPR 31.14 Request

CPR goes to BW Legal

CCA goes to Lowell
    LOL!! ...Hedging my bets. if i didn't laugh i would cry.
    I am currently doing the CCA request and CPR 31.14

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am in the process of printing out the CCA and CPR 31.14.

Lowell are still denying that i sent the national debtline letter to them

Mentioned
    1530 Post(s)

Don't worry about it.

As you are a litigant in person and it is quite a small claim we should be able to wangle around things.

I think all you can do is ask BW Legal if they could possibly email you a copy of your defence as you require it to complete your directions questionnaire and you have mislaid your copy.

We know ID theft is out so if that is the defence ( ie if something was written on the acknowlegdment form) we will have to amend. If it's the nat debtline letter than we can work with that for the moment but might need to amend later.

Don't get into discussion about the claim at all, and don't speak with Lowell. You simply need a copy of the defence.
    ďWe may not win by protesting, but if we donít protest we will lose. If we stand up to them, there is always a chance we will win.Ē Hetty Bower

Any advice I provide is given without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Find Solicitors offering fixed fees on our sister site - JustBeagle.com

Mentioned
    641 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LoNK1 View Post
    I'm going to upload the statement of account they sent out to me.
    Did Lowells send you a second page for that statement? It says "Carried forward (see sheet 2)" on the bottom?

Did you never make any payments during the life of the loan or even after the loan expiry date such as through a DMP?

This was a Buy Now Pay Later product but I'm not clear on whether you entered into an original contract/credit agreement (interest free?) where the loan (with interest added) only kicked in if you didn't pay the full amount by a certain date? Sometimes there was a small 10% deposit to pay in store.

This will be important if they produce documents purporting to be a credit agreement but the dates don't tally because the credit agreement may have been entered into before the actual loan began (if you follow me).

Can you post up or type out the Particulars of Claim removing anything which could identify you to see what they are claiming and why they think they have the right to claim it. The names and dates will be useful.

Your credit agreement was with HSBC not PC World apparently.

Di
    I am a Litigation Executive at Joanna Connolly Solicitors a firm which specializes in consumer credit.

This forumís site rules donít allow me to give advice by PM but if you need to contact me please email di@joannaconnollysolicitors.co.uk . Our initial advice is always free.

Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability. If you are unsure please seek formal legal guidance or contact your local citizens advice bureau at https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk

Mentioned
    641 Post(s)

I would email B W Legal not call them. You need a paper trail. Stay off the phone.

You also need to find out how the court got your Defence. Ask them if it was filed online (regardless of what it said) or was it filed by the Claimant on your behalf? The court should be able to tell you that.

If it was the latter (the Claimant filed on your behalf without your knowledge or consent) then that should make it easier for you to file an Amended Defence without an Application to the court for permission if Lowells are prepared to consent to it.

What you want to avoid is Lowells making an Application for a Summary Judgment to strike out your Defence as having no merit if it only pleaded identity theft.

What is the deadline for filing your Directions Questionnaire?

Di
    I am a Litigation Executive at Joanna Connolly Solicitors a firm which specializes in consumer credit.

This forumís site rules donít allow me to give advice by PM but if you need to contact me please email di@joannaconnollysolicitors.co.uk . Our initial advice is always free.

Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability. If you are unsure please seek formal legal guidance or contact your local citizens advice bureau at https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk

Mentioned
    1530 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diana M View Post
    What is the deadline for filing your Directions Questionnaire?

Di
    25th May
    . I have to reply to this letter to the courts by 25th May and i am at a loss which way to turn. Thanks guys
    ďWe may not win by protesting, but if we donít protest we will lose. If we stand up to them, there is always a chance we will win.Ē Hetty Bower

Any advice I provide is given without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Mentioned
    641 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
    25th May
    Thank you

This gives the OP time to research what went on and take steps to remedy the situation *phew*

Di

Mentioned
    1530 Post(s)

That's the plan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Did Lowells send you a second page for that statement? It says "Carried forward (see sheet 2)" on the bottom?

Did you never make any payments during the life of the loan or even after the loan expiry date such as through a DMP?

This was a Buy Now Pay Later product but I'm not clear on whether you entered into an original contract/credit agreement (interest free?) where the loan (with interest added) only kicked in if you didn't pay the full amount by a certain date? Sometimes there was a small 10% deposit to pay in store.

This will be important if they produce documents purporting to be a credit agreement but the dates don't tally because the credit agreement may have been entered into before the actual loan began (if you follow me).

Can you post up or type out the Particulars of Claim removing anything which could identify you to see what they are claiming and why they think they have the right to claim it. The names and dates will be useful.

Your credit agreement was with HSBC not PC World apparently.

Di
    Okay so no, its a long story involving my ex but no, no payments were ever made.

the second sheet is like this...
    Date. Description Payments Interest/Fees Loan Balance
    15 May 08 Admin Fee £15.
    31 May 08 Interest £23.07 £1,061.40
    14 June 08 Admin Fee £15
    28 June 08 Transfer Fees to Balance -£150 £1,211.40

It stops there, no further info was sent out to me.

So the particulars of the claim are -
    The claimant's Claim is for the sum of £1,211.40 being monies due from the Defendant to the Claimant under a financial Services agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974 between the defendant and HFC Bank Ltd under account reference ....... and assigned to the claimant on 23/12/2011 notice of which has been given to the defendant.
    The defendant failed to maintain the contractural payment under the terms of the agreement and a default notice has been served and not complied with.
    The claim also includes statutory interest pursuant to section 69 of the county courts Act 1984 at a rate of 8% per annum (a daily rate of £0.27 from the date of assignment of the agreement to 22/12/2012 being an amount of £98.82

Mentioned
    641 Post(s)

What was your ex's involvement (if any) in case it's relevant?

They've not stated when the agreement started in the POC so maybe a Part 18 Question (or two) would help you at this stage.

Di

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What was your ex's involvement (if any) in case it's relevant?

They've not stated when the agreement started in the POC so maybe a Part 18 Question (or two) would help you at this stage.

Di
    Not sure if my ex's involvement is really applicable because everything was in my name, you know how it goes, the person you trust the most turns out to be a ... ahem. and my head was a shed back then.
    Bought a laptop in 2006 for work purposes as we were moving countries, i thought i had transferred the funds into my account to keep up the monthly payments, however life took over, had to file for divorce due to domestic abuse - like i said, my head was a shed, not in a good place - i was unable to check back on things in UK. Finally got back to UK 2010, my ex took the laptop and i was in too much of a state to even think about a silly laptop or any credit agreements, it had gone out of my mind and i forgot all about it.

Sorry, what is a part 18 question?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Okay so i have now emailed BW Legal asking them to email a copy of my defense to me.

Mentioned
    641 Post(s)

Okay so i have now emailed BW Legal asking them to email a copy of my defense to me.
    It'll be interesting to see 'how' the Defence got filed too.

You can still call MCOL and ask them that - it should show on their system (filed online by the Defendant or a letter of yours to Lowell sent via BW Legal).

Di

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

@Amethyst, @Diana M
    thank you both

Is there anything further that i need to do today, both the CCA and CPR have know been sent and i emailed bw legal about the defense.

Mentioned
    1530 Post(s)

Nope Think you've done enough for one day - you've asked for help instead of muddling along on your todd getting confused ... so that's a good step. Come back on tomorrow though and let us know soon as you hear back from BW. We'll have to come up with a plan to fix things - but hopefully we'll just be able to get them to discontinue considering whichever way its looked at it is statute barred xxx You'll have back up now with the CCA request and CPR letter - so basically fingers crossed it's the Nat Debtline letter used as defence rather than the ID theft missive - that will be much simpler to sort out going forward xxxx Should be able to use the Directions Questionnaire anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ok will do.
    again, thank you so much xxxxxxx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

@Diana M @Amethyst
    Morning
    Just wondered if you guys had managed to have a think?
    Not heard from BW Legal yet.
    Thanks guys

Mentioned
    641 Post(s)

Not heard from BW Legal yet.
    I'm not surprised since you only emailed them yesterday afternoon and they're not obliged to respond. They may not ever reply, but you still need to know what Defence was filed.

This was my suggestion >

It'll be interesting to see 'how' the Defence got filed too.

You can still call MCOL and ask them that - it should show on their system (filed online by the Defendant or a letter of yours to Lowell sent via BW Legal).
    As explained >

need to find out how the court got your Defence. Ask them if it was filed online (regardless of what it said) or was it filed by the Claimant on your behalf? The court should be able to tell you that.

If it was the latter (the Claimant filed on your behalf without your knowledge or consent) then that should make it easier for you to file an Amended Defence without an Application to the court for permission if Lowells are prepared to consent to it.
    Because >

What you want to avoid is Lowells making an Application for a Summary Judgment to strike out your Defence as having no merit if it only pleaded identity theft.
    My point being although the court may resist sending you a copy of your Defence, you can at least figure out what it might (or even did) say if they tell you how it was filed.

Whatever the outcome of your enquires you will need to file an Amended Defence.

Di

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm not surprised since you only emailed them yesterday afternoon and they're not obliged to respond. They may not ever reply, but you still need to know what Defence was filed.

This was my suggestion >

As explained >

Because >

My point being although the court may resist sending you a copy of your Defence, you can at least figure out what it might (or even did) say if they tell you how it was filed.

Whatever the outcome of your enquires you will need to file an Amended Defence.

Di
    Thanks Di
    finished speaking to the courts and it was sent in by us. Therefore it would have based upon identity theft. So I need to file an amended defense asap.
    (The reason it was based upon identity theft was because we were informed by Lowell that it was a purchase at pc world dated 23/12/2011, knew that wasn't me, i had moved address a few times and so thought someone had got my details)
    So where do I go from here?
    Thanks

Mentioned
    641 Post(s)

Thanks Di
    finished speaking to the courts and it was sent in by us. Therefore it would have based upon identity theft.

. . . . So where do I go from here?
    You will need to file an Amended Defence.

To do that you either need to make an application to the court for permission to amend it or ask the Claimant to consent to you amending it.

Di

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You will need to file an Amended Defence.

To do that you either need to make an application to the court for permission to amend it or ask the Claimant to consent to you amending it.

Di
    Thank you.
    At the same time as filing an amended defense am I to submit the defense template - amended as needed - with the directions questionnaire, so I'm sending them in altogether?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

@Diana M
    quick question, when filling out an N244, it asks who should be served with this application ... daft but, erm?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12