• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Court Claim advice CCA request & CPR 31.14 request

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court Claim advice CCA request & CPR 31.14 request

Hi,

I've recently received a Court Claim form at my old address. I'm trying to follow the advice I've picked up from this site so far and have come to the CCA request and CPR 31.14 request letters. Do I send these directly to the Claimant or should I send this to their solicitor, bearing in mind the Claim Form gives a solicitor's address for sending documents and payments.

I intend to defend the claim in full on the basis that the debt is statute barred. I do not believe I have acknowledged the debt or made any payments in the last 6 years. However, I'm not sure how to go about making sure as I've switched banks a number of times since then.

I have acknowledged the claim already.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
    Tags: None

Re: Court Claim advice CCA request & CPR 31.14 request

CCA to claimant £1.00 Postal order Recorded Delivery

CPR31.14 to solicitors no fee RecordedDelivery

- - - Updated - - -

CCA Request || CPR 31.14 Request

Comment

Thanks

Comment

If I attempt to defend this on the basis that the debt is Statute Barred, and I lose, what possible outcomes could there be (e.g. immediate payment of full amount, installment plan, seizure of goods)? I don't really know anything about any of this and I don't know how I could ever be certain the debt is Statute Barred.

Comment

The applicable dates for SB will depend on what the alleged debt is for. (Credit card, loan, overdraft, utility/mob phone bill etc).

The amount being claimed will impact on the potential outcomes of a claim.
          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
          Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
          gets his brain a-going.
          Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
          The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

The debt is an old credit card debt. Here's the details of the Claim:-

Issue Date: 08 May 2017
            Amount approx: 2355.92 inc. fee and costs
            Claimant: Arrow Global Limited
            Solicitor: Restons Solicitors Limited
            Original Creditor: HSBC
            Particulars of Claim: The Claimant claims payment of the overdue balance due from the Defendant(s) under a contract between the Defendant(s) and HSBC dated on or about Aug 19 2003 and assigned to the Claimant on Mar 28 2014
            DATE ITEM VALUE
            10/03/2017 Default Balance 2170.92
            Post Refrl Cr NIL

TOTAL 2170.92

Is the debt Statute Barred? Unknown but I think it might be. I haven't acknowledged the debt or made any payments for a long time but I'm not sure exactly how long.
            List any letters you have sent: None yet. Sending CCA and CPR 31.14 tomorrow
            Any Other Info: The Claim Form was sent to my previous address and forwarded to me. Restons Solicitors have been calling me at work but I have refused to give them personal details until they explain what they're calling about but they refuse.

Comment

Ok re CCA & CPR 31.14 requests.
              Re the latter, if it were me I'd ask for an accurate copy of the contract, the Notice of Assignment, the Deed of Assignment & a copy of the CCA s87 Default Notice.
              Enclose a copy of the CCA s78 request for info purposes only. (No fee with this one).
              CCA to Claimant, CPR 31 to Claimant's sols.
              Keep copies & get proof of posting.
              They could have a real headache with a 2003 agreement.

Also SAR HSBC for all data held..

& all communication in writing......tell Restons to bog off re phone calls. (In the nicest possible way, naturally!)
              CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
              Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
              gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
              The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Hi Jay

Just as Charity says

BUT the only thing is that I think all you can ask for under the CPR request will be the contract as that is the only thing mentioned in the claim.

Restons will likely write back saying you will already have the contract and so why do you need it again- its just what they do - but it is your right to ask for it.

You may also want to send a part 18 request asking for the Default Notice, Notice of assignment and Deed of assignment but that is probably ok to ask for in your defence,

I know you say you want to defend on SB but get your ducks lined up and defend with what you can

CCA request
                Default Notice
                Notice of Assignment
                Deed of assignment

that is why the SAR to HSBC is so very useful- it will show you what was ( or was not) sent
                Last edited by warwick65; 14th May 2017, 18:21:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay_O_Doom View Post
                  The debt is an old credit card debt. Here's the details of the Claim:-

Issue Date: 08 May 2017
                  Amount approx: 2355.92 inc. fee and costs
                  Claimant: Arrow Global Limited
                  Solicitor: Restons Solicitors Limited
                  Original Creditor: HSBC
                  Particulars of Claim: The Claimant claims payment of the overdue balance due from the Defendant(s) under a contract between the Defendant(s) and HSBC dated on or about Aug 19 2003 and assigned to the Claimant on Mar 28 2014
                  DATE ITEM VALUE
                  10/03/2017 Default Balance 2170.92
                  Post Refrl Cr NIL

TOTAL 2170.92

Is the debt Statute Barred? Unknown but I think it might be. I haven't acknowledged the debt or made any payments for a long time but I'm not sure exactly how long.
                  List any letters you have sent: None yet. Sending CCA and CPR 31.14 tomorrow
                  Any Other Info: The Claim Form was sent to my previous address and forwarded to me. Restons Solicitors have been calling me at work but I have refused to give them personal details until they explain what they're calling about but they refuse.

i agree with the advice given on here about telling Restons to go away.

I think you need to put this in writing to them and ensure that you expressly ask them to cease calling you as you wish for all communication in writing.

Case law such as Harrison v Link and Roberts v Bank of Scotland show that the Courts will not accept circumstances where a consumers wishes are ignored and a claimant persists in calling despite being asked not to.
                  I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for their replies. I really struggle to deal with this stuff in part due to long-term mental illness so this is all quite overwhelming at the moment. I just hope I'm in a fit state to deal with this over the coming week.

Are there any possible circumstances with this that would lead to me not needing to attend court? I think I could potentially struggle a lot with a court appearance.

Comment

if it came to court a long way off and steps to take etc

- - - Updated - - -

read No 9 above

Comment

As Mike says there is a long way to go before court and if it looks like you would lose you can settle at mediation. Quite often these firms discontinue before court so its a case of trying to hold your nerve, Is there anyone you could get to help?

Comment

Do you recognise the HSBC debt?

Arrow have recently issued a bunch of claims for debts which were overdrafts amalgamated with loans and/or credit card balances before being assigned with a new account reference number i.e. different from the original account number(s).

Since the POC don't specify the type of account or the reference number (they simply say "contract") you may wish to send that CCA Request stating s 77-79 CCA so as not to give Arrow any clues as to what documents or evidence they are going to need to produce or reconstitute.

No need to make life easy for them

Di

Comment

CCA Request

Comment

Sorry but this is all making my head spin right now. I don't really know what the SAR or a part 18 request is.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X