• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Small Claim Court - Damage to holiday let rug

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Small Claim Court - Damage to holiday let rug

Originally posted by slash1551 View Post
    Thanks @Amethyst - awesome!

We collectively as a group have decided to fight this til the end. Although it is in my name, we have all agreed to split the cost should we lose. But we're all confident that telling the truth will prevail.

So, do I have to write what you've detailed above in more detail or can it be used as is? How did you find out about the 3 bottles of wine - not that I'm interested in tit for tat...just curious.

@charitynjw - wow! Good spot! Surely if they noticed 1.000,000,000,000 bottles of alcohol in bins/on tables etc they would have used term #4?
    It will need writing properly, I'll have a play as a starting point for you later on if you want.

Facebook is the key to all evils
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

That would be most appreciated, if you have the time and don't mind. All help from everyone is greatly received!

I take it from what you've seen, you think we have a fair chance of winning?

Comment

Were there any other guests in adjacent lets at the relevant time?
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

No, I don't think so.

Comment

Ooo when was the last time the fireplace was used before you departed ?
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

We left on the Monday morning, so we would have used it last on Sunday.

Comment

Very rough starting point - I'll come back to it a bit later on this evening so feel free to comment/add/reword etc - [MENTION=551]pt2537[/MENTION] can you have a look at para 1 as I'm sure you word that far better than I have. Also para 5 regarding Without Prejudice comms. Pretty please. ( or rip the whole thing apart if you like )

In the Northampton County Court Business Centre

Claim No. XXXXX

xxxxxxxxx
                Claimant

and

xxxxxxxxxxxx
                Defendant

Dated xxth May 2017

-------------------------------------

DEFENCE

------------------------------------

1. Due to the limitations of bringing a claim via the MCOL service the Particulars of Claim are not separated into paragraphs,therefore for clarity and ease of reference the Defendant has broken the pleadings into paragraphs as follows;

PARTICULARS OF CLAIM
                1: xxxxxxxxx booked a weekend break for herself and five adults at xxxxxxxxxxx commencing on the 25th Nov 2016 and paid £475 for this holiday.
                2. During their stay the guests burnt a valuable Indian Rug by placing and leaving a hot poker on the rug.
                3. Under Clause 16 of the booking contract xxxxxxx is liable to pay for the damage to the rug.
                4: A goodwill offer of £260 was made by xxxxxxxx but was not honoured.
                5: The cost of the professional repair was £520. The Plaintiff has limited the claim to £500 which is the insurance deductible for the property plus the court fee to enforce the contract.
                6: I will provide the Defendant with separate detailed particulars within 14 days after service of the Claim Form.

2: Paragraph 1 is admitted. The Defendant booked a weekend break at xxxxxxxxxxxx commencing on 25th November 2016 and departing on 28th November 2016 and paid £475 to the Claimant for the holiday.

3: Paragraph 2 is denied. Neither the Defendant nor any other guest placed or left a hot poker on the rug.

4: ]Paragraph 3 is denied. Clause 16 of the booking contract does indeed state “xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx “ However the Defendant denies any damage was caused and therefore has no liability to the Claimant for such damage.

5: Paragraph 4 is neither admitted nor denied. Without Prejudice communications should not be referred to in the course of litigation. The Defendant accepted no liability for the damage and made a simple offer as a gesture of goodwill. The Claimant turned down the offer.

6: Paragraph 5 is neither admitted nor denied. The Defendant believes the Claimant means her insurance excess for accidental damage was set at £500.

7: Paragraph 6 – The Defendant received further supporting documentation from the Claimant on xxxxxxxx 2017.

The Defendant responds to the Supporting Documentation as follows;

8. cmcvnxcmxncmxncmnx

9. djhkdfhsdjkfhsdfhsd

etc
                etc

By reason of the above facts and matters it is denied that the Defendant is liable to the Claimant for the sum claimed in the Particulars of Claim or any sum.

Statement of Truth

The Defendant believes that the facts stated in the Defence are true.

Signed

Dated.

EXHIBITS.
                #staysafestayhome

Comment

Thank so much [MENTION=6]Amethyst[/MENTION]! What does "not pleaded" mean please?

Comment

I too have to go out for a while.......duty calls!

Parting thoughts
                    Do you have any evidence of attending venues where a group of intoxicated revelers would not be welcome?
                    (Restaurants etc.......& receipts/photos etc).
                    Of those who may have driven, would they risk their license? (I'm thinking particularly re work commitments/loss of job).
                    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                    Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Ahh I just meant they haven't really said anything to dispute as it's just background bumpf.
                      #staysafestayhome

Comment

Good afternoon, slash1551.

With ref to #9 & #16 of the T&C's.

No extra charges were imposed for any breach re extra cleaning.
                        Who would conscientiously go around cleaning/tidying, but fail to notice a hot poker smoldering on the rug?
                        Just a thought.
                        CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

my initial thoughts....................................

I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

There are so many issues in my view with this claim.

I cant see how they can say X or Y did it by leaving a poker on there, how do they know unless they did it? Secondly, if no checks are carried out there is a real possibility that they may well have overlooked this damage for a while.

I cannot see how, unless they carry out full inspections before and after letting with photo evidence taken each time, they could hope to prove diddly squat.

The WP correspondence shouldnt even be in the Claim form, that part should be struck out as an abuse of process.
                            I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

Comment

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post
                              my initial thoughts....................................

Well, that sorts it!

Wibble is the culprit who, for some (as yet) unexplained reason, failed to smell the burning rug.
                              CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                              Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
                                Well, that sorts it!

Wibble is the culprit who, for some (as yet) unexplained reason, failed to smell the burning rug.
                                Well theres the problem, there can be no certainty as to what happened, and their pleadings are utter crazy hence my reference to Wibble

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X