• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Small Claim Court - Damage to holiday let rug

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Small Claim Court - Damage to holiday let rug

Reading.... Well they shouldn't have included the 'Goodwill' offer in that at all. But by the by really.

I like the bit about being intoxicated... lol. Did you really drink 60 bottles of wine over a weekend ? That's 10 each !?!?! one good weekend
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

No worries! If anyone wants to do the maths on their greatly exaggerated alcohol consumption claim, it'd put an alcoholic to shame.

- - - Updated - - -

Heck no! I think we'd all be dead! Baring in mind one of us was pregnant at the time, that's 60 bottles between 5!!!

Comment

Are those bins outside?
        Accessible to anyone?
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Yes they are! But I must stress, we did not consume 60 bottles of wine over 2 days!!! Surely its for them to prove that anyway?

Comment

Is that the only photo of the 'burn' ? Is the real copy all pixelated like that ?

The Invoice says...... " burnt areas of pile along one side, re-pile where needed along with rebinding the xxxx cord binding where burnt. " I can't make out what the xxx bit says?

Did you guys take any photos while you were there that might show the carpet/rug in them ?
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by slash1551 View Post
              Yes they are! But I must stress, we did not consume 60 bottles of wine over 2 days!!! Surely its for them to prove that anyway?
              It would be a bit insane and is irrelevant really with regards the allegation of causing damage. The Defence can deny that but she's included it to put a mark on your character so should try back up denial - Do you recall quantities in the bin ? How much was actually consumed ? Whether the table was full of beer/wine etc when the cleaner came in ?

It looks like a lovely place btw, shame it's been turned sour by this.
              #staysafestayhome

Comment

Yes - that is the only photo of the burn we've received, both previously and in the POC. And yes, it is that pixelated.

I make that word out as 'sole'.

Photo's were taken, but none that show the rug very clearly. I have uploaded a pic from the website showing the rug in situ.

Comment

looking at that and the pixelated image the burn was very tiny.

In one of the emails she says about asking the regulations on the distance of the rug from the fire ? I can't see where you asked her that?
                  #staysafestayhome

Comment

@Amethyst - Imagine the size of the end of a fire poker, I'd say perhaps 3-4 inches in length. Small enough on a rug of that size to be missed for a length of time and we're the unlucky group which is being blamed.

She has only included one email I sent. I queried as to whether the rug was an adequate distance from the wood burner in the first place - not sure why I asked, but I did.

I cannot recall the amount of bottles - maybe 10-12 in total? With the addition of a crate of beer.

@charitynjw - I omitted all mention of the place so I wouldn't tarnish the place with a bad name, or get myself into trouble. Is it wise to post a link?

Comment

Apologies - looks like admin has sorted that!
                      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                      Phelps, C. C.

Comment

I've modded it - thanks Charity xx

Okay. You have two options really - 1) write it off as a bad experience and settle her claim or 2) defend it - defending could incur you with further costs if you lost ( in small claims this would be limited to attendance at court so likely around £100 ( loss of earnings for day, travel, parking etc) unless you behave unreasonably when it could go up )

Defence wise

POC

Para 1 is admitted ( you stayed there and paid £475 )
                        Para 2 is denied ( you didn't burn the rug )
                        Para 3 is admitted ( clause 16 exists )
                        Para 4 is denied ( you are not liable for the damage as you didn't cause it - no evidence you caused it - no inventory check taken beginning or end of tenancy etc - oo and this point
                        I'd say perhaps 3-4 inches in length. Small enough on a rug of that size to be missed for a length of time and we're the unlucky group which is being blamed.
                        Para 5 is neither admitted or denied as you would be reliant on information provided by the claimant

Additional Info

Section 1/2/3 not pleaded
                        Section 4 - denial of intoxication and its relevance to the claim. ( any pics showing the wine/beer on the table etc to counter those claims?) pregnant woman/exageration of quanities/bins available for anyone to use

could even use the cottage owners recent trip to a vineyard and buying 3 bottles to take home.... but that would be a bit tit for tat.
                        #staysafestayhome

Comment

I note that they didn't invoke T&C #4 last para.
                          CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                          Phelps, C. C.

Comment

further down the line you'd likely want a witness statement from each of the guests stating that they did not burn the rug etc - wouldn't need to be long just a 1) I stayed at xxxxxx on xxxxxxxxx with xxx,xxx,xxx,xx 2) I didn't use the fire / I didn't put the poker on the rug 3) when we left everything was in order (if it was obvs)
                            #staysafestayhome

Comment

Thanks @Amethyst - awesome!

We collectively as a group have decided to fight this til the end. Although it is in my name, we have all agreed to split the cost should we lose. But we're all confident that telling the truth will prevail.

So, do I have to write what you've detailed above in more detail or can it be used as is? How did you find out about the 3 bottles of wine - not that I'm interested in tit for tat...just curious.

@charitynjw - wow! Good spot! Surely if they noticed 1.000,000,000,000 bottles of alcohol in bins/on tables etc they would have used term #4?

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
                                I note that they didn't invoke T&C #4 last para.
                                haha I thought that.... if they were that concerned about the 3metre table being full of booze....
                                #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X