• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Small Claim Court - Damage to holiday let rug

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Claim Court - Damage to holiday let rug

Hi,

I haven't found any help specific to my situation, so I've joined to post.

I have received a Court Claim and Particulars Of Claim through the post today. It relates to a 3 night stay at a holiday let over a weekend last year.

No security deposit was taken. No inventory was produced or signed. No check-in / check-out took place.

The owners have alleged that during our stay, we caused a burn to an expensive Indian carpet, which they have had repaired at a cost of £520. After we left, they allege they found a poker lying on the rug and upon lifting it up, discovered the burn mark. Out of the 6 guests, no-one recalls mis-placing a poker on the floor. This poker is for a wood burner, which was used during our stay.

We made a 'Without Prejudice' offer of goodwill to meet halfway (£260) - purely to keep a good relationship, be amicable, with the hope of returning this year. They declined the offer and have now taken court action.

This was our fourth visit to this particular holiday let with no trouble ever before. The POC contains a timeline of events (from booking the let, to the claim submitted), one extremely poor quality photo of the burn mark (which isn't dated) and then goes on to make defamatory comments about our alcohol consumption, ending with saying we were negligent in our behavior.

My layman view is they have no solid evidence to prove it was us that caused damage to the rug (no signed inventory, no dated before and after pictures of the rug). I was going to reply to the form stating "
    This claim is neither admitted nor denied. I require the claimant to prove this claim with evidence", and leave it at that.

I'd like to point out that none of us feel responsible - we are all honest, hard-working people that would admit any wrongdoing. It feels like its our word against theirs. I also feel gutted we even made an offer to help with half the cost now they have gone down this route.

What are your guys thoughts?

Cheers.
    Tags: None

Re: Small Claim Court - Damage to holiday let rug

Hi slash1551, welcome to LB.

First things first; have you filed acknowledgement of the claim with court yet?
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Hi - thank you. I've been browsing all day and there is a lot of great info here!

I haven't yet, no. I understand I have 14 days from today to do it? To me it is clear cut, hence my urge to send such a basic defense of "This claim is neither admitted nor denied. I require the claimant to prove this claim with evidence"

Comment

If the claim was via MCOL, acknowledgement should be within 19 days of the claim issue date (14 days + 5 for deemed service).
        Then a further 14 days to submit your defence.
        It's not a good idea to submit a bare denial, but, from what you say, the POC can be trashed easily enough.
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

The claim was via MCOL. So your advice is to acknowledge the claim, instead of submitting a defense in the first instance?

Comment

I would, if it were me......with no dialogue at all in the defence box.
            Do you have access to any T&C's concerning the agreement/contract?
            On their website, maybe?
            CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

Comment

**EDIT**

T & C's now included in POC attachment further down this post. Tidied for ease of reading.
              Last edited by slash1551; 12th May 2017, 10:30:AM.

Comment

Ok.

Next question; could you post up, or type verbatim, a copy of the PoC? (Remove/redact any personal identifiers?).
                CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Not very quickly tonight, but I can tomorrow!

Comment

Originally posted by slash1551 View Post
                    Not very quickly tonight, but I can tomorrow!
                    Ok

That will give us a better idea of what they are claiming, why they are claiming it & possibly what evidence exists which (they reckon) supports their contentions.

Oh, & btw, an idea of what they are not saying, which can sometimes be just as revealing!
                    CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                    Phelps, C. C.

Comment

First redacted scans attached - more to follow...

**EDIT** - will compile into one document rather than several pages!

Comment

Ok I have attached everything as one PDF document which makes easier reading.

A point: not all correspondence is included in the POC (our without prejudice offer isn't - not sure how important this is?) I have attached it anyway as a word doc.

Please let me know what you think of our position.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Have they provided you with the Full and Detailed Particulars ? ( guessing not yet ) So you won't be able to work on your defence until those are received.

Do you have a copy of the booking agreement ? (so we can see what clause 16 says)

limited claim to £500 / Insurance Deductible etc etc isn't a particularly sound basis of a claim. If they have had the mending of the rug paid for by insurance why are they suing you.....

They've said it's £500 as thats what insurance is and court fees, but then they add court fees on....

Your without prejudice offer won't be in the claim, and can't be used in court, as it is without prejudice. It also means they can't go to court and say you've accepted liability by making an offer as you made it without prejudice. So I'd not worry any further about that. Your offer is withdrawn now they have taken court action. ( It's a decent letter btw )
                          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi Amethyst - thanks for taking the time to read and help. In answer to your questions:

I received the Claim Form on the 9th of May and Particulars of Claim on the 10th May. Nothing else.

Booking agreement is the last pages of the POC I attached.

Their insurance excess is £500, which is I assume why they are claiming that from me. My understanding is they didn't have it repaired via insurance.

If that is the case, why have they included our offer to settle within the documents so far?
                            Last edited by slash1551; 12th May 2017, 11:06:AM. Reason: Missed a point.

Comment

Ahhh that's my fault I didn't notice the additional pages on the PDF ! Doh ! Reading through them now
                              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X