• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell solicitors - statue barred debt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lowell solicitors - statue barred debt

Id suggest sending a letter to Lowells solicitors, asking them for the contract upon which their proposed claim will be based. They are obliged to provide it under the protocol.
    http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pro...n_conduct#17.1
    Steps before issuing a claim at court

6. Where there is a relevant pre-action protocol, the parties should comply with that protocol before commencing proceedings. Where there is no relevant pre-action protocol, the parties should exchange correspondence and information to comply with the objectives in paragraph 3, bearing in mind that compliance should be proportionate. The steps will usually include—
    (a) the claimant writing to the defendant with concise details of the claim. The letter should include the basis on which the claim is made, a summary of the facts, what the claimant wants from the defendant, and if money, how the amount is calculated;
    (b) the defendant responding within a reasonable time - 14 days in a straight forward case and no more than 3 months in a very complex one. The reply should include confirmation as to whether the claim is accepted and, if it is not accepted, the reasons why, together with an explanation as to which facts and parts of the claim are disputed and whether the defendant is making a counterclaim as well as providing details of any counterclaim; and

(c) the parties disclosing key documents relevant to the issues in dispute.
    If they issue proceedings without disclosing the key documents, this is something the Court will most likely frown upon
    I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Step change and national debt line have suggested that this debt may already be time barred �� I'm so confused might just do what you say and send a cca request.

Comment

Originally posted by Kati View Post
        redacted and reposted xx
        Thank you for responding to my reported post where I highlighted the issue.

Di

Comment

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post
          Id suggest sending a letter to Lowells solicitors, asking them for the contract upon which their proposed claim will be based. They are obliged to provide it under the protocol.
          http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pro...n_conduct#17.1

If they issue proceedings without disclosing the key documents, this is something the Court will most likely frown upon
          i have previous send a letter asking for the information that I would need and they failed to send it this was in a letter I sent on the 13th Feb

Comment

Originally posted by Katihhgr View Post
            Step change and national debt line have suggested that this debt may already be time barred I'm so confused might just do what you say and send a cca request.
            Send the CCA Request which will cost you no more than the price of a first class stamp, a £1 postal order, and Royal Mail Recorded Delivery charge.

Let's hope that confuses Lowells too.

Your goal/aim is to prevent a claim being issued (unless it already has) before this debt goes Statute Barred in June (next month) or whenever it's due to go SB.

From what you say the account is still with Lowell Portfolio and has not yet been escalated to Lowell Solicitors.

# filibustering

Di

Comment

Originally posted by Diana M View Post
              Send the CCA Request which will cost you no more than the price of a first class stamp, a £1 postal order, and Royal Mail Recorded Delivery charge.

Let's hope that confuses Lowells too.

Your goal/aim is to prevent a claim being issued (unless it already has) before this debt goes Statute Barred in June (next month) or whenever it's due to go SB.

From what you say the account is still with Lowell Portfolio and has not yet been escalated to Lowell Solicitors.

# filibustering

Di
              all my letters are from Lowell solicitors but t doesn't hurt to send a cca request haha

Comment

i have previous send a letter asking for the information that I would need and they failed to send it this was in a letter I sent on the 13th Feb
                Ok, one thing im always aware of, especially when litigation is on the horizon is making sure i have a full file of papers showing how ourside have behaved vs how the oppo has behaved.

I would suggest a short letter to them with something to the effect of

Dear Sirs

Re Lowells vs (YOU)
                Acc no.......................

Further to your recent letter dated .............. setting out your clients intention to proceed with legal action, i once again respectfully request that your client complies with its duties under the CPR pre action protocol practice direction and provides me a copy of the contract upon which your clients proposed claim is based.

Should your client issue proceedings without complying with the protocol, then i shall draw this to the Courts attention.

Yours sincerely

It doesnt need to be too lengthy but its worth doing
                I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post
                  Ok, one thing im always aware of, especially when litigation is on the horizon is making sure i have a full file of papers showing how ourside have behaved vs how the oppo has behaved.

I would suggest a short letter to them with something to the effect of

Dear Sirs

Re Lowells vs (YOU)
                  Acc no.......................

Further to your recent letter dated .............. setting out your clients intention to proceed with legal action, i once again respectfully request that your client complies with its duties under the CPR pre action protocol practice direction and provides me a copy of the contract upon which your clients proposed claim is based.

Should your client issue proceedings without complying with the protocol, then i shall draw this to the Courts attention.

Yours sincerely

It doesnt need to be too lengthy but its worth doing
                  as to add to my defence? I've literally been asking for months to prove it but they have simply ignored every request and attempt that has been made to show that the debt isn't barred. They are basically saying in every letter that because we are saying it, it must be true.

Comment

all my letters are from Lowell solicitors but t doesn't hurt to send a cca request haha
                    No it won't hurt to send the CCA Request as well as take on board [MENTION=551]pt2537[/MENTION]'s suggestion to ask them to produce the relevant documents before they issue proceedings.

From what you say if they do issue a claim it's likely to be allocated to the Small Claims Track (£698?) so the issue of legal costs may not raise its ugly head.

Di

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone I will send cpr request letter again. Maybe a cca request whilst I'm at it
                      also a letter asking for their complaints procedure ��

Comment

I will send cpr request letter again.
                        Normally you'd only send a CPR 31.14 Request after a claim has been issued.

Can you clarify what letters/requests you have already sent to Lowells Solicitors and why.

Di

Comment

Originally posted by Diana M View Post
                          Normally you'd only send a CPR 31.14 Request after a claim has been issued.

Can you clarify what letters/requests you have already sent to Lowells Solicitors and why.

Di
                          Lowell have originally sent me a letter before claim and I sent a request for the documents after this they sent me another letter stating they do not have to give me the documents but they provided the statement above.

Comment

They have actually back tracked quite some since sending the letters

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X