• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

VT advice please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: VT advice please

@R0b or Kati - thankyou for your advice so far. I wonder if i could burden you again?

I am about to reply to the investigators decision. Do you think the following is OK, or does it need added to or bits removed?

As you could expect, I am very disappointed with the outcome of this matter, therefore I am requesting the Ombudsman look over my complaint before a final decision is made.

There are a few points I need to raise:

I was aware of minor damage to the car when I purchased it and made no mention of it, as it was very minor and fair and reasonable for the cars age' Since purchase I had continually looked after the vehicle and only very few light scratches had occurred.

Also, I don’t consider Manheim to be independent as they receive all Startlines cars at their auctions and therefore I cant agree their report as being 'fair and reasonable'.

I would also like to point out that Startline have never provided:

a) Evidence of the car's condition at the start of the agreement
    b) A breakdown of the repair costs incurred
    c) Actual photographic evidence of any repairs carried out

In any case, I don’t accept the damages as 'accepted nationwide' as the inspection is carried out in accordance with BVRLA guidelines which does not take into account the age of the vehicle and the likelihood that damage will occur over time.

Please find attached a Court of Appeal case which is a binding decision whereby hey have acknowledged that the duty is on the lender to prove what damages have occurred whilst in my possession, not blanket charge for all damages (see page 7). Also attached is a damage condition chart from CAP HPI which provides more realistic and accurate damage conditions in relation to a vehicles age
    I will of course add the attachments when sending.

Meantime, how could I best reply to the debt collectors as I am still in dispute of the debt?

Thanks

Comment

Looks fine, you might want to include a copy of the extract I mentioned on the VT Guide about that they have to first prove there was no evidence and then secondly they have to provide evidence of the market value of the car in a reasonable condition and the value of the car in its current condition. Would love what the FOS has to say on that.
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thanks for that R0b. OK I will send off to ombudsman with extract. Will post reply. As I've not dealt with a debt collection agency before, but need to reply (letter attached), I kinda made this up from what I found online:

I am responding to your contact about collecting a debt. You contacted me by letter dated 21 Aug. I formally dispute this debt. Please provide me with documentation that supports why you believe this debt belongs to me, and why you believe I owe this amount. Please send me copies of the original application for this account, any signatures associated with this account, any bills associated with this account etc.
          Is the wording relevant and useful for my situation?
          Attached Files

Comment

Not particularly,

You could send a few lines saying that the matter is still in the hands of the Financial Ombudsman and therefore they should refrain from contacting you whilst the complaint is ongoing. It is a breach of the FCA rules to pursue a disputed debt, particularly where there is an ongoing complaint.
            LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Ok, I'll change that. I have seen the quote/text from the Brady case, but I would prefer to attach the document/image of it, that I remember seeing somewhere on here before, which I cant find now, Can you help with that please? Thanks again

Comment

I've attached the case and highlighted the relevant paragraph on page 7.
                Attached Files
                LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

So now I'm awaiting a final decision from FOS.

Also, i would like to tell you that recently I had the below response from a dispute I raised with Equifax about a default put on my credit file by Startline

Thank you for getting in touch.
                  Startline Motor Finance Ltd (I) has investigated your query and has told Equifax the information you were disputing is correct and will remain unchanged. This information is supplied by the company and Equifax cannot change it or remove it without their authorisation.
                  The company has stated the following:
                  Voluntary Termination still reports as a default on customers credit file as they are liable for any outstanding balance/damages. Regardless of when the balance is cleared, the default will remain for the full 6 year period.

I am having difficulty understanding how Startline are generating all this just from disputed damages. I think this may well all end up in court.

Comment

Well that's Startlines approach and since they are refusing to back down, you could seek aggravated damages on top of normal damages due to their conduct. If the FOS are not on your side and you wish to pursue it then I am happy to assist where I can
                    LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Thankyou R0b. It would appear I might have to take you up on that, which I would appreciate so much

Comment

@R0b
                        Today I have received the final decision from FO - bad news for me - they've upheld the original investigators decision. (btw,would you want me to send you the docs?)
                        I am so angry. And I know now, the debt collection agency will now be winging out a letter pronto with increased charges. I suppose if I went to court and lose again I'm really in deep financial doo-doo?
                        Last edited by wanderlust9; 24th October 2017, 20:16:PM.

Comment

Can I PM you R0b?

Comment

Sorry I missed this, the FO's decision is not binding so it is up to you whether you want to come to a settlement or not. The FO does not strictly take into account the law whereas a court will.

You can upload the decision on here if you like but make sure to redact any personal information. Even if you went to court, you have one month (if you lost) from the date of the judgment to pay up without getting a CCJ. It can take up to 6 months or more before a hearing takes place and in that time you could set aside some money each month just in case that does happen.

I can't tell you what the best option is but that is something for you to decide taking everything into account.
                            LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Thats ok R0b, I know you must be dealing at many, many posts. I've got til 23 Nov to reply to FO with either my acceptance or rejection. I know ultimately its my decision, but I dont know whats best to do. I dont know how strong a case I have. I wouldn't even know where to start going to court. I'm worried if I go to court and lose, I will have more even costs. Also, when the debt collector sent their first letter in August, it had went up to £800 even whilst it was still in dispute at that point. FO have now sent a copy of their final decision to Startline. Thanks

Comment

Just noticed on FO website, in the last 4yrs they have upheld for Startline about 50% of 31 cases

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X