• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hoist/Howard Cohen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoist/Howard Cohen

Hi everyone,
    Ive had a claim from Hoist in Jersey as the claimant but the form shows Howard Cohen as the address for sending documents. I'm sending off CCA and CPR requests today but should I send them both to Howard Cohen?
    tks in advance for your help.
    Tags: None

Re: Hoist/Howard Cohen

The quick answer to your question is the CCA Request goes to Hoist with a copy to Howard Cohen when you send them your CPR 31.14 Request.

Di

Comment

What is the claim for and who was the original creditor?

Post up (type out) the Particulars of Claim (removing anything which could identify you) so it's clear what they are claiming and why they think they have the right to claim it.

You'll need to send a Subject Access Request to the original creditor to get the full history of the account. The Transaction Log will be useful

Di

Comment

Tks for the replies.

The claim is for the sum of £9k in respect of monies owing under an agreement with the account number XXXXXX pursuant to the CCA 1974.
        The debt was legally assigned to MKDP LLP (ex Barclaycard) to the claimant and notice has been served. The defendant has failed to make contractual payments under the terms of the agreement. A default notice has been served upon the defendant..... etc...
        the claimant claims
        1. The sum of £9k
        2. Costs

I just checked my credit file and they've added a default dated 1 April 2017, no default from Barclaycard.

I read about writing a clause on the postal order to the claimant, but I cant find the post that I read, so could you please remind me.

tks again for your help

Comment

Hi ADDLED

Dotting 'i's, etc.....have you acknowledged the claim?

I read about writing a clause on the postal order to the claimant, but I cant find the post that I read, so could you please remind me.
          If you are referring to the £1 CCA fee, write 'For statutory purposes only'.
          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
          Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
          gets his brain a-going.
          Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
          The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

When did you open the Barclaycard account and how did you open it (e.g. online, in a bank branch, in response to a mailshot etc)?

Was it a Barclaycard from the very beginning or could it have been an Egg or MSDW or Monument credit card which was later taken over by Barclaycard?

As I said in post #3 you need to send a SAR to Barclaycard.

Di

Comment

Tks for the reply. Acknowledging online now. Yes, that's the clause, tks for that.

Comment

Hi Diana. It would have been Barclaycard from the beginning. I cant remember how I opened it as it was very late 90s.

I mentioned the SAR but is it necessary?

Comment

Originally posted by bananaskin View Post
                  I mentioned the SAR but is it necessary?
                  The SAR is not "necessary" it's absolutely essential!

It could provide you with the evidence you need to win your case.

Trust me on this one

Di
                  Last edited by Diana M; 5th May 2017, 16:14:PM. Reason: typo

Comment

What are you asking for in your CPR 31.14 Request?

The Deed of Assignment should be included even if it's not mentioned (only referred to) in the POC.

Di

Comment

From my experience, Hoist will have considerable difficulties complying with their obligations under s78

And in any event , many barclaycard agreements didnt comply with the CCA when they were executed such as in this case http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/Misc/2012/19.html

The Judge on that case was married to the head of legal at Barclays and still found that they had not complied on the evidence before him with the requirements of the CCA.

Dont panic, keep your chin up and get the documents from them as advised above
                      I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Originally posted by Diana M View Post
                        What are you asking for in your CPR 31.14 Request?

The Deed of Assignment should be included even if it's not mentioned (only referred to) in the POC.

Di
                        I asked for...
                        1. Agreement / Contact
                        2. Default Notice
                        3. Assignment
                        4. Formal Demand

And I've also typed up a SAR letter too. I send that to Barclaycard, Hoist or both?

Comment

Originally posted by bananaskin View Post
                          Hi Diana. It would have been Barclaycard from the beginning. I cant remember how I opened it as it was very late 90s.
                          Don't assume it was a Barclaycard from the beginning just because it says it was "ex Barclaycard " in the POC.

I always take the POC with a pinch of salt. Just because they say something that doesn't mean it's true

If you can't remember how you opened the account that's not necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes Barclaycard just sent them out in the post without you knowingly applying for one.

That's why you need the SAR to get the truth because the Claimant is likely to reconstitute a credit agreement which you can then test for 'honestly and accuracy'.

The Claimant has to prove their case not you.

Di

Comment

Originally posted by ADDLED View Post
                            I've also typed up a SAR letter too. I send that to Barclaycard, Hoist or both?
                            You send the SAR to Barclaycard because you want the history of the account from its inception.

The Claimant won't be entitled to see the same information as you will receive from Barclaycard . That's how we catch them out when they produce iffy documents in the hope you'll not spot the difference.

If you can discredit a Claimant's evidence in court you damage their overall credibility.

Di

Comment

Originally posted by Diana M View Post
                              You send the SAR to Barclaycard because you want the history of the account from its inception.

The Claimant won't be entitled to see the same information as you will receive from Barclaycard . That's how we catch them out when they produce iffy documents in the hope you'll not spot the difference.

If you can discredit a Claimant's evidence in court you damage their overall credibility.

Di
                              Brilliant, thanks again. I'm off to the post office to wrestle with one of their self-service machines.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X