• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Voluntary Termination Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voluntary Termination Advice

Hi all,

I have been reading through some previous posts on this and my situation is such that I now need some advice. Financially and otherwise, my situation has now changed significantly that I can no longer afford the monthly repayments of my car and do not require it for transport. I bought the car new in August 2014 with PCP from a Renault Dealer.

The financed amount was £
    11,650 and as of today, I owe £8298. The settlement figure I have asked for (out of interest is £7676).

I understand that to VT, I must have repaid 50%, which I work out to be £5825. Would I be correct in stating that I could make a lump sum to achieve this (i.e. I don't have to wait until I have paid 50% via monthly repayments)? Is it correct that I am therefore going to have to pay around £2473 to do this, or will I have a reduction in interest due to settling early?

My documentation does not provide any of this information and I have only managed to obtain the above figures by registering for Renault's online finance service which gives me some basic information about my agreement (nothing about VT).

Ultimately, can you advise if this is the best approach to hand the car back? I no longer need the car and know I can't maintain the monthly payments in future months, but may have some assistance just now to pay the lump sum to get to the 50% point for returning the car.

Thank you for your advice.

Tags: None

Re: Voluntary Termination Advice

The first red flag is that you have said there is nothing within your agreement that says you can terminate provided you have paid 50% of the total amount payable. That on the face of it would indicate you haven't got a PCP but some form of hire contract, perhaps a PCH.

If you can upload a copy of your documentation with your personal information redacted I should be able to tell you what your options are but without seeing it, I can only make assumptions.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
      The first red flag is that you have said there is nothing within your agreement that says you can terminate provided you have paid 50% of the total amount payable. That on the face of it would indicate you haven't got a PCP but some form of hire contract, perhaps a PCH.

If you can upload a copy of your documentation with your personal information redacted I should be able to tell you what your options are but without seeing it, I can only make assumptions.
      Yes, that seemed strange to me as well. Upon further searching the Renault online portal, it appears that the dealer scanned a copy of the agreement up there. Looking at this, there is a section on termination. This states

"You have a right to end this agreement. To do so, you should write to the person you make your payments to. They will then be entitled to the return of the goods and to half the total amount payable under this agreement, that is £7071.66. If you have already paid sat least this amount plus any overdue instalments and have taken reasonable care of the goods, you will not have to pay any more."

On my agreement it says total amount of credit is £11650.44, over 48 months. On pre-contract information it states that the total amount to pay is £13964.32 but on page 1 of Hire Purchase Agreement it also states that the total amount payable is £14143.32

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Would I be correct in stating that if my total amount payable was £14143.32, and I (according to Renault online portal) currently owe £8298.03 as the outstanding amount, that I have therefore repaid £5845.29, so simply have to pay £1226.37 to VT the car?

Comment

The pre-contract information should match what the actual agreement says, if it doesn't why doesn't it? have they added something else as part of the total amount payable such as insurance products? Or have you looked at the wrong figure perhaps?

To clarify, you do not need to have paid 50% before you can terminate the agreement, you can do it before the 50% it just means you are liable to bring the amount up to date. Sometimes it is better to terminate before paying because some lenders might charge you a small amount for paying off more earlier than it is due.

But yes, if the total amount payable is £14143.32 and you have paid £5845.29 to date, then you only need to bring the account up to £7071.66 to extinguish any further liability for repayments.
          If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          LEGAL DISCLAIMER
          Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Hi Rob, thanks again for the information. I again wasn't sure why there was a difference between the pre-contract credit information and the Hire Purchase Agreement, but the difference is certainly there. I did not notice this at the time, or would have queried it.

The pre-contract credit information states:
            Total amount of credit: £11650.44
            Duration of agreement: 48 months
            Total amount you will have to pay: £13964.32

The Hire Purchase Agreement states:
            Amount of credit: £11650.44
            plus
            interest charge: £2065.91
            finance facility fee: £99
            option to purchase fee (inc VAT): £149.99

total charge for credit: £2313.91
            total amount payable: £14143.32

I can't work out why the figures are different. Just to clarify, there are no other added products or services on the HP Agreement.

Comment

I have taken good care of the car and barring some of the usual wear and tear to the car mats, a few paint chips from the road, and I think one of the alloys might have a scuff on it, it is in great condition. I have went over the agreed 5000 p.a. miles by quite some bit (around 30000 miles I think).

That said, two days ago, I opened one of the back doors and the handle appears to have a problem where it doesn't always connect with the locking mechanism and occasionally won't open correctly. The back doors have seen virtually no use so I believe this is a fault with the component and not through my handling. Should I get this addressed at the dealer beforehand or leave it be?

Thanks again.

Comment

Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone was able to advise further on this one?
                Thanks, David

Comment

Hello,

I would need to see both documents to maybe try and understand your position. But if the pre-contract information doesn't marry up then you could have an argument but as to what remedy there is available, I am not sure and would need to look into it. If you can upload the documents with personal info redacted then I can take a look.

Unlikely that the agent inspecting the car would be checking the mechanics but rather the cosmetics of the car, though that is not to say they won't but it depends on the agent being instructed - You can plead ignorance and see what happens or get ti fixed.
                  LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Thanks Rob. I can send this to you now. The situation has changed a little. I have paid for the repair work on door handle, got new tyres and brakes fitted at same time as per Renault service centre recommendations. The car is shortly due it's 3rd annual service and first MOT so if I am going to VT, I would like to do so before these are due next month.

Now I am at a loss with whether it is worth pursuing the VT or if I should instead just sell privately to a dealer and make up shortfall on PCP myself. My settlement figure on finance is around £1000-1500 less than car value at my estimates. I would have to pay around £1000 to VT the car (to get to the 50%) and then have the potential claims from Renault on mileage which I am over by 10,000 miles at least and anything else cosmetic that they find.

I don't know what to do?

Comment

[MENTION=71570]R0b[/MENTION], can I send you my document? Sorry for the tag!

Comment

Hi Satele,

If you email kati@legalbeagles.info she will be able to redact your personal info and upload the document - I've tagged her so she's aware! @Kati
                        Last edited by Kati; 27th July 2017, 12:37:PM.
                        LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X