• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Digital Economy Bill - Royal Assent 27.04.17

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital Economy Bill - Royal Assent 27.04.17

The somewhat controversial Digital Economy Bill received Royal Assent last week and I thought I would share a few (but not all) things that is covered by the Act that is relevant to the most of the public. Note that a date is yet to be announced for enforcement so none of this in force just yet.

Mandatory age verification for adult content

Adult content sites will not be forced to set an age-verification system in place to prevent children from accessing it. Powers for the new unnamed regulator can fine websites up to £250k or 5% of turnover and order ISPs to block their websites if they fail to comply.

Minimum broadband speed of 10mbps
    Introduced is a new Universal Service Obligation (USO) which means that everyone has a legal right to a minimum speed of 10mbps, particularly important for those in rural areas who receive little to no broadband speed. How this is going to work we do not know yet but I am sure further details and information will be published over the year. Also that Ofcom has the power to set a minimum speed above 10mbps in the future if it chooses to do so.

Mobile phone customers now able to set a cap on monthly bills

All mobile phone providers will now have to offer customers the right to set a cap on their bill to prevent any shock bills coming through the post. If the cap is to be increased and/or the provider want to charge more, they will need the consent of the customer.

Harsher sentences for breaches of copyright laws (aimed at piracy)

This is aimed at those who distribute and leak the material rather than everyday Joe Bloggs who downloads or watches it, therefore going to the root of the problem.

Computerised bots used for purchasing venue tickets to be a criminal offence
    The Act will now enable regulation over those who use automatic bots to purchase bulk tickets and then sell them on reseller websites and once in force, it will become a criminal offence to do so. There will also be additional consumer rights attached which forces resellers to show certain information.
    Last edited by R0b; 4th May 2017, 09:21:AM.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X