Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Application to Add or Substiture Parties (County Court Claim)

  • Share
  • Thread Tools
  • Display
  1. #1
    MrsMEC's Avatar

    Junior Member

    Jul 2016
    0 Post(s)

    Default Application to Add or Substiture Parties (County Court Claim)


    I have an old Judgment (July 2016) which has been making me go grey! The defendant is a business that failed to repair an automotive part, despite paying for the test and successful repair fee. To cut a long story short, the summary of court action thus far is:

    A warrant of execution failed as there were no assets at the business address which turned out to be a post drop address. The only other address known at the time was their Accountant's.

    An interim third party debt order to the defendant's bank failed as the bank account details given were not not found. On further investigation into this I discovered that the paperwork/receipt I have is in the business name (a limited company) but the bank account it operates is the Director/owner's personal bank account! The court were not prepared to amend the third party debt order as the claim/Judgment are not in the bank account holder's name.

    So bearing in mind that the defendant processed my purchase from them using the business name (receipt) and personal name (payment/bank account), my question is this:

    Do I have sufficient justification to submit an Application to add the owner's name to the claim, under CPR 19.4?

    My other option is to apply to change the name on the claim, but I am hesitant to do this as it would start the whole process again and a lot of money (fees etc) has already gone into this in obtaining the Judgment etc.

    Any assistance/advice would be appreciated please?

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    Amethyst's Avatar

    Site Owner

    May 2007
    1827 Post(s)

    Default Re: Application to Add or Substiture Parties (County Court Claim)

    Was the business a Ltd company? And is that company still 'Active' at companies house?

    If it was a judgment against a Ltd co then no, you won't be able to change the judgment to the Directors personal details without showing that the Director is personally liable.

    How did you make the original payment ? bank transfer or c/d/card ?
    “We may not win by protesting, but if we don’t protest we will lose. If we stand up to them, there is always a chance we will win.” Hetty Bower

    Any advice I provide is given without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

    Find Solicitors offering fixed fees on our sister site -

  3. #3
    MrsMEC's Avatar

    Junior Member

    Jul 2016
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Application to Add or Substiture Parties (County Court Claim)

    Thank you for your response.

    Yes, they are a Limited Company, but because the Director was putting all the income directly into his personal bank account I'd assumed that he was personally liable. Perhaps I have got this wrong?

    I paid by bank payment and have already challenged the bank as I'd put the business name as the payee. Apparently, when paying anything online, it doesn't matter what you call the payee, the payment will still go though!

    I have since learnt that the owner lives in California and runs the business bank account in America too. My only chance now is the recent discovery of a house on the South Coast which is still in their name.

    So somehow, I desperately need to get their name on the claim....

Similar Threads

  1. County Court Application - Costs
    By heisenberg in forum General Legal Issues
    Replies: 0
    : 19th March 2017, 22:58:PM
  2. Replies: 3
    : 22nd April 2015, 09:43:AM
  3. Replies: 16
    : 30th April 2014, 08:31:AM
  4. Voluntary Dissolution, application not copied to all parties.
    By pearce75 in forum General Legal Issues
    Replies: 1
    : 13th September 2013, 09:29:AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Contact Us

© Celame (UK) Ltd 2017
LegalBeagles® are DPA Registered No. ZA158014
LegalBeagles® is the trading name of CELAME (UK) LIMITED ( 09220332 )
Registered Address: 25 Moorgate, London, England, EC2R 6AY
VAT registration number 206 9740 02
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.3 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Celame (UK) Ltd Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2017 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.

To find out more about managing your money and getting free advice, visit the Money Advice Service,an independent service set up to help people manage their money.