• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Refusing a reasonable request

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refusing a reasonable request

I work on the bins and for the past couple of months someone as been fly tipping in one of the bin stores. All kinds of rubbish piled up to waste height. I've reported it every week and nothings been done.
    One of the residents has got the environmental health involved so then I had a request to go and clear the bin store.
    I refused and now have been asked to go for an investigation to see if disciplinary action is necessary.
    To me the request is unreasonable.
    I know the kind of people that live on this road and there's every chance of needles and other nasty stuff lying in the middle of it all. I've never been asked to do anything like this in the 10 years I've worked here. It's the council's responsibility to deal with fly tipping were subcontracted im here to empty bins. Any advice will be appreciated. I can only see myself getting a written warning but still that's 12 months of avoiding anything else they'll try stick on me.
    Tags: None

Re: Refusing a reasonable request

When they asked you to go and clear it, did they provide any special PPE?

The reason I ask is that when our local fly-tipping spot is cleared it's done by people in white bodysuits, gauntlets and face masks.

If they didn't provide for your safety, I'd say that you had a legal responsibility to refuse the task.

Comment

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1974/37/section/2

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1974/37/section/7

Comment

Thank you.
        No extra ppe was offered.

They've also put in the letter that my failure to clear it could have resulted in a financial penalty to the business.

My argument to that is that I've reported it from day 1 and their the ones that should have dealt with it then instead of letting it get to this stage.

Comment

I would suggest that you help the investigator by handing in a document outlining the circumstances. Perhaps something like this:

For the past few months I have reported this fly-tipping to xxxxx every week as I believed that it was the Council's responsibility to remove it.

As far as I am aware, no action was taken and the first mention of a potential financial penalty to the business was in the investigation letter.

After a resident reported the matter to Environmental Health I was asked to clear it.

I wasn't offered any special PPE. There could be needles, asbestos or other hazardous items amongst the waist high pile.

I have a responsibility to consider my own health and safety at work so I declined the request to clear that particular waste.

If I, or anyone else, had been injured when I was knowingly carrying out a task that I believed to be unsafe I would expect my negligence to be considered Gross Misconduct.

Comment

you've been a great help thank you

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X