• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Jester Vs First Direct - OFFER Accepted :)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jester Vs First Direct - OFFER Accepted :)

I did have a thread on here in regard my fight with First Direct, but I can't seem to find it anymore, so will start this new one.

As some of you are already aware, the FSA has granted a new Waiver be put in place which will run until January 2009. What is interesting is that they have redefined what they consider cases of 'Financial Hardship'.

Amethyst has posted a thread in the OFT Forum entitled 'Banks Granted Unfair Charge Waiver' which has all the details.

In view of this new information, I called the Financial Ombudsman Service today quoting my original case number to them in my fight to reclaim unfair bank charges from First Direct. When I originally asked the FOS to look into this, they did not agree on my financial hardship (under the rules at the time) and therefore did not pursue First Direct to refund these charges.

However, under the new rules of what constitutes Financial Hardship, they have now told me that they WILL re-examine my case if I re-submit it to them. It did help that they know that I am due in court on 29th July 2008 with RBS who are trying to repossess my home, along with other facts that prove I am in severe financial hardship.

Therefore, as requested by Amethyst, Budgie et al, I now enclose the first draft of the letter I intend to send into the FOS to ask them to re-examine my case. Bear in minf that this a very rough first draft with much of the words being written as they came out of my head. I already know that I have repeated myself several times in the letter below. It WILL change significantly before it is sent to the FOS, but nevertheless, I would welcome comments/critiques from everyone on how best to word this letter.

I might only get one bite at this and time is of the essence. So please feel free to chip in with your comments/suggestions. I am really looking at getting this out in the post to the FOS by close of play tomorrow (as time is not my friend at the moment).

Cheers everyone.

July 21, 2008
    Financial Ombudsman Service,
    South Quay Plaza,
    183 Marsh Wall,
    London.
    E14 9SR
    Dear Sir or Madam:
    FOS Reference Number: XXXXXXX
    As you are no doubt aware, in the light of the ongoing test case hearing between the Office Of Fair Trading (hereby referred to as the OFT) and the leading high street banks regarding the fairness or otherwise of the bank charging regime, the FSA has today announced a new waiver to be put in place. The waiver will supercede the previous one issued in July 2007 and is not due to expire until January 2009.
    Upon reading the conditions of the new waiver, I was extremely interested in the FSA’s definition of what constitutes Financial Hardship and believe we qualify for your assistance under these new guidelines. Given that the Royal Bank of Scotland have issued court proceedings against us to repossess our home (a hearing that will take place on 29th July 2008), this is taking on a new sense of urgency.
    Therefore, I would like to bring to your attention the FSA’s definition of Financial Hardship and why I believe we qualify to have our claim against First Direct dealt with on this basis.
    The new FSA Waiver defines Financial Hardship in the following terms:
    2. In making an assessment of financial difficulty the firm will take into account:

a. evidence of changes in lifestyle, including loss of employment; disability; serious illness; imprisonment; relationship breakdown; death of a partner; starting a lower paid job; parental/carer leave; and starting full-time education;

I have been unemployed since August 2007. Despite hundreds of applications toward finding employment, I remain unemployed at this present moment in time
    b. evidence of the following events:
    i. items repeatedly being returned unpaid due to lack of available funds;
    First Direct have plenty of evidence of this being the case, as do Alliance & Leicester with whom I also briefly held an account. Both of these banking organisations have withdrawn banking services from me in light of my financial difficulties
    ii. failing to make loan repayments or other commitments;
    My finances are currently in the hands of a Debt Management Company (the XXXXXX XXXXX XXXXX). Furthermore, we are struggling to meet our mortgage payments, let alone find the money to actually live on. First Active (the RBS Group) have issued court proceedings against us to repossess our home. We are due in court in Swansea on 29th July 2008 where the RBS Group will be seeking leave to repossess our home. This is despite an agreement we reached with the RBS Group to accept lower (i.e. interest-only) payments on our mortgage for the next three months. We are currently only two months in arrears on our mortgage payments. Despite this, RBS still seek to repossess our home.
    iii. discontinuation of regular credits;
    All of our credits cards have been discontinued and are in the hands of the Debt Management Company
    iv. notification of some form of insolvency or court proceedings;
    As indicated above, my wife and I are subject to court proceedings with the RBS Group who are seeking to repossess our home. We have arrears on the mortgage payments and, despite an written agreement with RBS to make interest-only payments over the next three months, we are struggling with meeting these payments. My wife only earns £500 per month. We also receive a further £700 per month in tax credits. From these sums of monies, we have to find an interest-only payment of £873.87 per month in order to keep possession of our home, pay all our fuel bills, feed ourselves and three children and generally try to live our lives. We are well below the poverty line in regards to living finances and have no available disposable income as a result. The sum of money we are claiming in unfair bank charges from First Direct is £8184. This sum of money would enable us to fend off this repossession order and give us the breathing space we need whilst I continue my efforts to find employment
    v. regular requests for increased borrowing or repeated rescheduling of debts;
    That our finances are being handled by the Debt Management Company is surely evidence that we have had to reschedule our debts
    vi. making frequent cash withdrawals on a credit card at a non-promotional rate of interest
    Our credit facilities have all been withdrawn. Therefore, once we run out of money each month we must simply get by on what we have in the household. It is impossible to reach the end of any month without running out of funds at least 10 days prior to any month end.
    vii. repeatedly exceeding a credit card or overdraft limit without agreement (and, in this regard, where a complainant has incurred over £500 in unauthorised overdraft charges in the previous 12 months, that is to be treated as indicative of financial difficulty).
    First Direct withdrew all banking services to us in October 2007. Alliance & Leicester also withdrew all banking services to us in March 2008. However, the mere fact that we had a claim for Unfair Bank Charges totalling £8184 proves that we were incurring charges of more than £500 per annum. Furthermore, after we started our Bank Charge Reclaim against First Direct in February 2007, First Direct continued to hit us with further bank charges between February and October 2007. We estimate these further bank charges to be in the region of £900.
    As you can see, we are in severe financial hardship. We have very little income and the very realistic possibility that we will soon be homeless to add to our problems should the RBS Group be successful at Court on 29th July in repossessing our home.
    All we ask is that the Financial Ombudsman Service would re-examine our case with First Direct. First Direct (HSBC) are a large financial organisation with considerable funds available to fight a long drawn-out battle with the OFT. The current situation with the new Waiver being put in place means that we are unlikely to see any resolution in the Bank Charges Test case between the OFT and the leading banks before the end of 2008. In our current situation, we cannot afford the luxury of waiting that long for such a resolution. If First Direct were to refund the £8184 in Bank Charges that we believe were unfairly taken from our bank account over the course of the last 6 years (i.e. 2001 – 2007), our outlook would improve significantly. Whilst it would not be a long term solution, it would certainly assist us in our battle to keep our home from being repossessed and give us some breathing space to keep up our mortgage payments whilst I secure the employment which will enable us to become financially able to meet our commitments.
    Your assistance in resolving this matter would be gratefully received. I therefore respectfully ask you formally for this assistance.
    If you agree to re-examine this case, would it be possible if we could ask you to you draft a letter that we may present to the Judge at Swansea County Court stating your agreement that we are in severe financial difficulty and that you are currently examining our case with First Direct on our behalf.

Yours sincerely,

Re: Jester Vs First Direct

your old thread ---------------->>Jester v First Direct - Legal Beagles

Thread about Waiver change --------->>>Banks granted unfair charges waiver - Page 2 - Legal Beagles

Lol Jest was just rereading my notes from when I swiped you off MSE hehe seems I thought you were a girly.

Reading your letter through now in conjunction with your original case notes see if theres any more to use

I agree going through FOS now but...if they don't get anywhere then theres this bit (though dont know how long it stands for)

Originally posted by higglybottom
    3. As this application has been refused without a hearing, either party may apply for the application to be reconsidered at an oral hearing. Any such application shall be on notice, and is reserved to HHJ Hickinbottom or DJ Hendicott unless expressly released by either.

Dated 11 September 2007

for reference this is the original stay lift appl. Things have changed considerably since then but it might help with some ideas.

APPLICATION FOR REMOVAL OF A STAY

I strongly object to the order of a stay in respect of the claim detailed above and respectfully request that the stay that was ordered on the XXXXXXXX be removed.The Claimant relies on the following grounds.

I am in receipt of Job Seekers Allowance and Child Tax Credits, along with Child Benefit, which are paid directly into this account. The categories of benefits that I receive are deemed inalienable under the Social Security Administration Act (1992) and Tax Credits Act 2002 (s.45). My argument is that penalty charges by the Defendant amount to an unlawful charge under Section 187 of the SSA 1992, yet despite this fact the Defendant has taken benefit money from my account (as penalty charges) and I seek to recover these charges through the current claim that has been stayed. To hold this claim until the outcome of the pending test case will cause my family and myself considerable hardship.

I wish to draw the Court’s attention to the following debts that I have, and for which I intend to use the refund of the claimed penalty charges.
    • I have a mortgage commitment of £1170 per month
    • I am being pressured for Council Tax payments of £376 which are currently overdue
    • I have an outstanding gas/electricity bill of £317
    • I am being pressured by various Debt Collection Agencies for unreasonable payments totalling £560 per month
    • I have a loan commitment of £3500 paid in monthly instalments of £110

The continued levy of penalty charges on this account is preventing the payment of essential living expenses and is responsible for the accumulation of debt. Recovery of charges previously levied would return me to a position where commitments could be met, arrears paid in full and my finances be retuned to a position where no further penalties would be imposed. Allowing a stay will allow the Defendant to continue this practise which will cause undue hardship and which, if eventually found in my favour, could not be properly compensated.

If I cannot progress my claim, then I face the real prospect of the following resulting action.
    • House repossession for failure to maintain my monthly mortgage repayments (hate being right!!!!)
    • Bailiff action regarding the debts detailed above of £560
    • County Court Judgement for the outstanding loan of £3500
    • Further bank charges will be incurred which will worsen the situation considerably

The sum claimed is insignificant to the bank but it is highly significant to me. Furthermore, although a stay prevents me from recovering my money, the defendant bank is not prevented from levying its charges or interest on debt comprised of those charges, so the order of the court has the effect of favouring a powerful and well-resourced institution and does not place any restriction on their continued application of charges which I am claiming as unlawful.

The Defendant remains at liberty to enter my name on the default register which it and other banks routinely do in respect of unlawful penalties which are unpaid by their customers. The banks have direct and privileged access to this register. They have no need to obtain a County Court judgement before they may enter a default on the register. This default remains on the register for 6 years and causes enormous inconvenience and damage to reputations. Were my name to be entered on the default register I would find it very difficult to get credit or a mortgage and I would have to pay higher fees for any credit, which I did manage to obtain.

The Defendant would also remain at liberty to bring legal proceedings against me for the recovery of any debt which mostly or entirely consists of penalty charges that are contended to be unlawful, but which consumers would be helpless to challenge in the event that stays are imposed on any claim where a customer is seeking to dispute the lawfulness of them.

I, the Claimant, believe all facts stated to be true.

Signed:

Dated:
    Last edited by Amethyst; 21st July 2008, 16:27:PM.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Sound very good

The trick is to keep it to the point and stress the urgency.

What about adding about the All monies mortgage clause?

I would like to stress that this mater is particularly urgent as we have just discovered that we have an All monies Mortgage clause which we were unaware of. We have been told that this may mean the bank may not be able to issue a suspended re-possesion order . I therefore need your assistance to prepare my defence in full for the court hearing.
      ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
      By the way

just in case the All monies clause is over ruled by the judge or does not come up in the hearing do you have details of the Norgen case ?
      a. evidence of changes in lifestyle, including loss of employment; disability; serious illness; imprisonment; relationship breakdown; death of a partner; starting a lower paid job; parental/carer leave; and starting full-time education;
      I have been unemployed since August 2007. Despite hundreds of applications toward finding employment, I remain unemployed at this present moment in time

I think here I would try and sound more hopeful about employment just n case the letter comes up at the hearing

How about - I have been unemployed since August 2007 and since then have been making every effort to secure alternative employment. I do not have any current offers of employment but I am continuing my efforts.
      Last edited by scoobydoo; 21st July 2008, 16:57:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      "What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

"Always reach for the moon, if you miss you'll end up among the stars"

Comment

All of our credits cards have been discontinued and are in the hands of the Debt Management Company

I think this means more REGUALR INCOME TO YOUR ACCOUNT than credit cards.

So the loss of income from salary into the account and replaced with JSA which is only such and such % of previous etc....
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

First Direct have plenty of evidence of this being the case, as do Alliance & Leicester with whom I also briefly held an account. Both of these banking organisations have withdrawn banking services from me in light of my financial difficulties

strick to FD...they have evidence by way of your statements and letters/calls you have made to them trying to sort things out ? also which banking services have they withdrawn etc
          #staysafestayhome

Comment

Maybe also at this point say how many or % charges were for unpaid DD ( presumably this is on your spread sheet)
            "What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

Comment

Oh the cheek of this woman

Just because I have a love of poetry, does not make me a girly :P

Wish my mortgage payments were still £1170. My fixed rate mortgage deal ended in April. The repayment amounts are now £1338. Even the interest only payments are £873 !!

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
              your old thread ---------------->>Jester v First Direct - Legal Beagles

Thread about Waiver change --------->>>Banks granted unfair charges waiver - Page 2 - Legal Beagles

Lol Jest was just rereading my notes from when I swiped you off MSE hehe seems I thought you were a girly.

Reading your letter through now in conjunction with your original case notes see if theres any more to use

I agree going through FOS now but...if they don't get anywhere then theres this bit (though dont know how long it stands for)

for reference this is the original stay lift appl. Things have changed considerably since then but it might help with some ideas.

[/size][/font][/i]
              I like the way that is worded Scooby. Thanks for that. I did intend to put the 'all-monies mortgage' bit in, but as is often the case when you are typing off the top of your head, some detail gets lost 'in the woods' !!

Originally posted by scoobydoo View Post
              Sound very good

The trick is to keep it to the point and stress the urgency.

What about adding about the All monies mortgage clause?

I would like to stress that this mater is particularly urgent as we have just discovered that we have an All monies Mortgage clause which we were unaware of. We have been told that this may mean the bank may not be able to issue a suspended re-possesion order . I therefore need your assistance to prepare my defence in full for the court hearing.
              By the way

just in case the All monies clause is over ruled by the judge or does not come up in the hearing do you have details of the Norgen case ?

I think here I would try and sound more hopeful about employment just n case the letter comes up at the hearing

How about - I have been umemployed since August 2007 and since then have been making every effort to secure alternative employment. I do not have any current offers of employment but I am continuing my efforts.
              Last edited by Jester; 21st July 2008, 16:51:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I know this may be a silly question but I assume you have checked you are getting all the benefits/ help you are entitled to? Just does not seem very much. But I know when it happened to me as I was working part time we got less benefits as well.

Gosh you really do need that letter dont you.

Ring them as soon as you can after posting the letter , as in one Abbey case the FOS helped they were very quick off the mark once they were pressurised.

Really hope you get some breathing space by getting at least a suspended order.

Comment

2. In making an assessment of financial difficulty the firm will take into account:

I have been umemployed since August 2007 and since then have been making every effort to secure alternative employment. I do not have any current offers of employment but I am continuing my efforts.

b. evidence of the following events:

First Direct have recently withdrawn banking services (overdraft?debit card?chequebook) from me in light of my financial difficulties. There have been numerous items returned on the account which can be easily demonstrated by viewing the transaction history on my account.

ii. failing to make loan repayments or other commitments;

I have enclosed my up to date income and expenditure budget sheet. The majority of my commitments are being handled by a Debt Management Company ( XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX)

I am also struggling to meet my mortgage payments and my mortgage provider (First Active, part of The Royal Bank of Scotland Group) has issued court proceedings in order to reposess my home.

The hearing will take place in Swansea on 29th July 2008 where the RBS Group will be seeking leave to repossess our home.

This is despite the fact that I am currently only two months in arrears with my mortgage payments and have made considerable efforts to reach an agreement with RBS.

The main income to my account previously was my salary which totalled approximately £xxxx per month. This is now substantially reduced to £XXXXXX which is Job Seekers Allowance and xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. A fall of XXX%.

iv. notification of some form of insolvency or court proceedings;
                  As indicated above, my wife and I are subject to court proceedings with the RBS Group who are seeking to repossess our home. We have arrears on the mortgage payments and, despite an written agreement with RBS to make interest-only payments over the next three months, we are struggling with meeting these payments. My wife only earns £500 per month. We also receive a further £700 per month in tax credits. From these sums of monies, we have to find an interest-only payment of £873.87 per month in order to keep possession of our home, pay all our fuel bills, feed ourselves and three children and generally try to live our lives. We are well below the poverty line in regards to living finances and have no available disposable income as a result. The sum of money we are claiming in unfair bank charges from First Direct is £8184. This sum of money would enable us to fend off this repossession order and give us the breathing space we need whilst I continue my efforts to find employment

v. regular requests for increased borrowing or repeated rescheduling of debts;

We have been unable to obtain, nor do we desire to further indebt ourselves, further borrowing. We have rescheduled our debt payments completely by handing the management of payments and negotiations over to a specialist Debt Management company.

vi. making frequent cash withdrawals on a credit card at a non-promotional rate of interest

Our credit facilities have all been withdrawn.

vii. repeatedly exceeding a credit card or overdraft limit without agreement (and, in this regard, where a complainant has incurred over £500 in unauthorised overdraft charges in the previous 12 months, that is to be treated as indicative of financial difficulty).

First Direct withdrew all banking services to us in October 2007. Alliance & Leicester also withdrew all banking services to us in March 2008. However, the mere fact that we had a claim for Unfair Bank Charges totalling £8184 proves that we were incurring charges of more than £500 per annum. Furthermore, after we started our Bank Charge Reclaim against First Direct in February 2007, First Direct continued to hit us with further bank charges between February and October 2007. We estimate these further bank charges to be in the region of £900.

Have had a go on the green bits.... the others were a bit in depth but need cutting down rearranging a bit. Also sort out the WE/ I tenses sorry.

Last edited by Amethyst; 21st July 2008, 17:04:PM.
                  #staysafestayhome

Comment

Believe me. I've checked, doulbe-checked, triple-checked and quadrupled checked. My best bet is to become an asylum seeker (and I don't mean that derogatively !!)

Originally posted by scoobydoo View Post
                    I know this may be a silly question but I assume you have checked you are getting all the benefits/ help you are entitled to? Just does not seem very much. But I know when it happened to me as I was working part time we got less benefits as well.

Gosh you really do need that letter dont you.

Ring them as soon as you can after posting the letter , as in one Abbey case the FOS helped they were very quick off the mark once they were pressurised.

Really hope you get some breathing space by getting at least a suspended order.

Comment

Sorry did not mean to be patronising it is just that without the letter and even ignoring tha All monies clause the judge will look at your ability to pay - which long term may look impossible. If it comes to that then you must try and retain control and ask to sell the house yourself. Otherwise the costs will spiral and you will have no opportunity to control the SP.

Also it will again buy you more time and you may find a job.

I am sure you must be really tired after all the fighting you have done but lets hope you can at least get a few months to try and sort yourself out.

Does anyone think it may be worth adding to the letter the figures from OTR

In other words :

I am aware of XXX cases where First Direct paid out sums totalling XXX to previous claimants before the waiver . I was quite willing to face them in the courts to argue my case and attempted to have my Stay lifted - however I was refused this opportunity and feel that if my case had come to court a matter of weeks earlier the bank would have repaid my ,without appearing in court, and I would not be in my current precarious position about to be made homeless withoutacomodation for my three children.

Comment

I am aware of XXX cases where First Direct paid out sums totalling XXX to previous claimants before the introduction of the waiver. I was willing to present my case in the courts, however my claim was stayed and I subsequently applied to overturn the decision. I was unsuccessful in this. Since that application my circumstances have worsened considerably. I am of the opinion that had my case had gone to court a matter of weeks earlier the bank would have repaid my charges without argument, and I would not be in my current position where I face being made homeless without accomodation for my three children.

THE OTR list does that have all the case claim numbers too ?
                        #staysafestayhome

Comment

I'm pretty sure I have that information in my 'court bundle'. Need to check.

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                          I am aware of XXX cases where First Direct paid out sums totalling XXX to previous claimants before the introduction of the waiver. I was willing to present my case in the courts, however my claim was stayed and I subsequently applied to overturn the decision. I was unsuccessful in this. Since that application my circumstances have worsened considerably. I am of the opinion that had my case had gone to court a matter of weeks earlier the bank would have repaid my charges without argument, and I would not be in my current position where I face being made homeless without accomodation for my three children.

THE OTR list does that have all the case claim numbers too ?

Comment

First Direct£538353 only from one website so obvously wil be more

not sure - i thought there was a section at least where you could see the number of claims

but can not remember about claim numbers -

just had a quick look but could not find anything except the amount

Comment

there used to be an 'easy to use' claim numbers list.....I have no idea if it is still there. Listed indivdual settled claims with amounts and claim numbers.

Anyone more CAGGY know?
                              #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X