• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Unclear employee contract

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unclear employee contract

HHHH
    Last edited by Sugaplum90; 27th April 2017, 15:44:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: Unclear employee contract

What is your particular concern here?

Is it: 1. Do I have to work on bank holidays? or 2. If I work on a bank holiday will the hours still be deducted from my holiday entitlement?

If it's 1: Although the red sentence may suggest that part-timers don't work on bank holidays, if you check the rest of your contract it's very likely that there'll be a clause somewhere stating that you may be required to work additional hours when required. If so, you can't depend on that sentence to get you out of working on a bank holiday.

If it's 2: Assuming that you just get the statutory minimum of 5.6 weeks holiday; they cannot deduct the hours that you work on a bank holiday from your holiday entitlement.

Comment

Can you confirm what your actual part-time hours are. Are they certain days per week in which case which ones or a reduced number of hours per working day if the latter and as it appears you work in a contact centre do you have defined working week?
      If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
      If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Hi -
        My contract is 20 hours, 9am - 1pm Monday Tuesday Wednesday Friday and Saturday. They are set times and day which I know is rather unusual for a call centre - no rota! But that is why I wanted the job

Comment

Hi - sorry I wasn't clear in my question. I would like to know if I have to work bank holidays as a Part Time worker.

The section I have quoted is the only reference to Bank Holidays in the T&C / Contract. My interpretation is that it contradicts itself..

If it makes any difference - I am on set hours 9am-1pm Mon/Tues/Wed/Fri &Sat. Their is no mention of working additional hours in the contract only that if I was to work over 37.5hrs I would paid time and a half.

Thank you for your response - it is good to get a 'outsiders' interpretation as management seem to be rather brainwashed by the whole corporation.

Comment

I agree with you that the wording does suggest that part-timers don't work on bank holidays.

There could be a few reasons for that. e.g. A mistake in the original contract template. Or, at an earlier time, part-timers weren't required to work on bank holidays and the contract templates weren't altered when that policy changed.

Whatever the reason for the contract wording; your managers are telling you now that they expect you to work on bank holidays. So, you need to decide how important this is to you. I should warn you that, as you haven't been working there for very long, you could be (fairly) dismissed for refusing.

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

I completely agree, I haven't been working there long so I don't plan on taking it any further as I have no doubt they would just let me go! I just wanted to get some outsiders perspectives so thank you

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X