Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recieved 2 Claim forms

• Display

Mentions
    0 Post(s)

Default Recieved 2 Claim forms

Hi,

I posted this in the welcome forum by mistake.

My partner recieved 2 claims forms yesterday, which we believe are older than 6 years.

I just need some advice on what to put in the defense section on the claim form. There are lots of templates to send to creditors regarding old debts, but I am unable to find anything is repsonse to a claim.

Thanks
    MRJ

VIP Member

Mentions
    1624 Post(s)

Default Re: Recieved 2 Claim forms

Quote Originally Posted by MrMRJ View Post
    Hi,

I posted this in the welcome forum by mistake.

My partner recieved 2 claims forms yesterday, which we believe are older than 6 years.

I just need some advice on what to put in the defense section on the claim form. There are lots of templates to send to creditors regarding old debts, but I am unable to find anything is repsonse to a claim.

Thanks
    MRJ
    Good Morning, welcome to LB,

Have you acknowledged service of the claims?

If not do so asap to give you more time to get a defence together.

If you can please post copies of the claim form (N1) after removing name address and claim number or type in the particulars of claim word for word.

nem
    The Advice I Give and Draft Letters Provided Are Drawn From Personal Experience and Career Training And Are Given Freely And Without Liability.
    Please make your own decisions with care and if necessary seek qualified legal advice.
    I will not advise by Private Message. If Specific Advice is Needed please Tag me in your post by typing @Nemesis45 . If you receive messages from anyone offering advice for a fee please report it to the site team. Animo et Fide.

VIP Member

Mentions
    126 Post(s)

Hi MrMRJ

At the moment all you need to do is acknowledge the claims and tick the box intend to defend all

Then , depending on what the claims are about will depend how you proceed

You may think that the claims are statute barred but how many of us can remember everything we have paid or written in the last 6 years, I know I can't.

As Nemesis said, it would help if you posted up the exact working of the particulars of claim

Mentions
    0 Post(s)

Thank for your reply so. Please see particulars below:

Claim 1 - £2559.27

"The claimant claims payment of the overdue balance due from the defendant under a contract between the defendant and shop direct dated on or about Apr 04 2009 and assigned to the claimant on Aug 12 2013"

Claim 2 - £949.41

"1) the defendant entered into a consumer credit act 1974 regulated agreement with vanquis
    2)the defendant failed to maintain the required payments and a default notice was served and not complied with.
    3)the agreement was later assigned to the claimant on 4/8/2013 and notice given to the defendant.
    4)despite repeated requests for payment, the sum of £758.71 remains due and outstanding
    And the claimant claims
    A)the said sum of £758.71
    B) interest pursuant to s69 county court act 1984 at the rate of 8% per annum from the date of assignment to the date of issue. Accruing at a daily rate of £0.166, but limited to one year being £60.70
    C) costs"

In terms of acknowledging the claim, can we do this online? I should of mentioned we go away for 2 weeks in may, so I am concerned about missing any replies/deadlines.

Many Thanks
    MRJ

VIP Member

Mentions
    1624 Post(s)

Thank for your reply so. Please see particulars below:

Claim 1 - £2559.27

"The claimant claims payment of the overdue balance due from the defendant under a contract between the defendant and shop direct dated on or about Apr 04 2009 and assigned to the claimant on Aug 12 2013"

Claim 2 - £949.41

"1) the defendant entered into a consumer credit act 1974 regulated agreement with vanquis
    2)the defendant failed to maintain the required payments and a default notice was served and not complied with.
    3)the agreement was later assigned to the claimant on 4/8/2013 and notice given to the defendant.
    4)despite repeated requests for payment, the sum of £758.71 remains due and outstanding
    And the claimant claims
    B) interest pursuant to s69 county court act 1984 at the rate of 8% per annum from the date of assignment to the date of issue. Accruing at a daily rate of £0.166, but limited to one year being £60.70
    C) costs"

In terms of acknowledging the claim, can we do this online? I should of mentioned we go away for 2 weeks in may, so I am concerned about missing any replies/deadlines.

Many Thanks
    MRJ
    Good morning MrJ,

Yes online acknowledgment on MCOL details are on the court forms.

Are these debt on her credit files? You can check Noddle/Clear Score free online.

Requests for both agreements next (CCA Request) template in the green box above.

A £1.00 statutory fee is payable for each agreement, use a postal order marked " for statutory fee only" and send to the claimant (s) by signed for post.

Then a request under the provisions of Civil Procedure Rule 31.14 for the documents mentioned in the particulars of claim (template above) this goes to the solicitors and there is no fee payable send by signed for post.

Claim 1 Documents are: The agreement and the notice of assignment.

Claim 2 The Regulated agreement, the default notice and the notice of assignment.

Please state name of claimant and the solicitors approach may vary.

nem
    The Advice I Give and Draft Letters Provided Are Drawn From Personal Experience and Career Training And Are Given Freely And Without Liability.
    Please make your own decisions with care and if necessary seek qualified legal advice.
    I will not advise by Private Message. If Specific Advice is Needed please Tag me in your post by typing @Nemesis45 . If you receive messages from anyone offering advice for a fee please report it to the site team. Animo et Fide.

Mentions
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis45 View Post
    Good morning MrJ,

Yes online acknowledgment on MCOL details are on the court forms.

Are these debt on her credit files? You can check Noddle/Clear Score free online.

Requests for both agreements next (CCA Request) template in the green box above.

A £1.00 statutory fee is payable for each agreement, use a postal order marked " for statutory fee only" and send to the claimant (s) by signed for post.

Then a request under the provisions of Civil Procedure Rule 31.14 for the documents mentioned in the particulars of claim (template above) this goes to the solicitors and there is no fee payable send by signed for post.

Claim 1 Documents are: The agreement and the notice of assignment.

Claim 2 The Regulated agreement, the default notice and the notice of assignment.

Please state name of claimant and the solicitors approach may vary.

nem
    Thanks for the update. How long do they have to get that information back to me? As stated we go away May 15th for 2 weeks. What if I go away before I recieve the information? Is there anyway to delay this until we get back in June?

Thanks

Authorised Representative

Mentions
    808 Post(s)

My partner recieved 2 claims forms yesterday.
    What is the claim Issue Date on those forms (top right hand corner)?

You have 33 days from that date to file your Defence unless you agree an extension of time with the other side under CPR 15.5 in which case you (as Defendant) will need to inform the court in writing.

So work out whether that deadline falls on a date when you are away on holiday next month.

Di
    I am a Litigation Executive at Joanna Connolly Solicitors a firm which specializes in consumer credit.

This forumís site rules donít allow me to give advice by PM but if you need to contact me please email di@joannaconnollysolicitors.co.uk. Our initial advice is always free.

Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability. If you are unsure please seek formal legal guidance or contact your local citizens advice bureau at https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk

Mentions
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diana M View Post
    What is the claim Issue Date on those forms (top right hand corner)?

You have 33 days from that date to file your Defence unless you agree an extension of time with the other side under CPR 15.5 in which case you (as Defendant) will need to inform the court in writing.

So work out whether that deadline falls on a date when you are away on holiday next month.

Di
    Issue date is 17th April,, so I make the 20th May. So yes that does fall on a day when we will be away.

Thanks

VIP Member

Mentions
    1624 Post(s)

Thanks for the update. How long do they have to get that information back to me? As stated we go away May 15th for 2 weeks. What if I go away before I recieve the information? Is there anyway to delay this until we get back in June?

Thanks
    CCA Request has a 12 + 2 Working Days Time Scale For Compliance Starting On The Date The Request Is Received, CPR 31. 14 has a nominal 7 days BUT CPR 31.14 my be declined on the grounds that it does not apply to small claims. It does but only until the claim is allocated to SCT.

I suggest you inform the court and the claimants solicitors that you will be away giving the specific dates and request and extension of time to meet court dead lines.

nem

Mentions
    0 Post(s)

Good morning MrJ,

The original accounts are not on her credit file, however the comapny that the debt has been sold to is.

The higher amount debt is capquesthe (Restons solicitors limited) the smaller debt Lowell (Lowell Solicitors)

Thanks

VIP Member

Mentions
    1624 Post(s)

The original accounts are not on her credit file, however the comapny that the debt has been sold to is.

The higher amount debt is capquesthe (Restons solicitors limited) the smaller debt Lowell (Lowell Solicitors)

Thanks
    What is the default date on each entry?

nem

Mentions
    808 Post(s)

Claim 1 - £2559.27

Claim 2 - £949.41

And the claimant claims
    C) costs"
    Since you have two claims from two different Claimants, issued by two different solicitors, it would make sense to have two separate threads since these claims won't necessarily travel through legal proceedings at the same speed and/or need the same advice.

Why don't you start a new thread for Claim 2 (Lowells) and leave Claim 1 (Capquest/Restons) here on this thread.

This will avoid any accidental misunderstandings as to which claim needs what advice and when

If you have any problems you can ask @Kati nicely if she'll help you and maybe export any posts on this thread to your other new thread if needed.

Di
    I am a Litigation Executive at Joanna Connolly Solicitors a firm which specializes in consumer credit.

This forumís site rules donít allow me to give advice by PM but if you need to contact me please email di@joannaconnollysolicitors.co.uk. Our initial advice is always free.

Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability. If you are unsure please seek formal legal guidance or contact your local citizens advice bureau at https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk

Mentions
    0 Post(s)

What is the default date on each entry?

nem
    That's the bit that has thrown me they are both 2013. Will they go from this date for the 6 years?

Mentions
    0 Post(s)

I have been thinking about this, and would like to know what your opinion is.

With us going away and other things going on in our life at the minute. We really don't need the hassle of requesting this, meeting this deadline on time...etc

What about if we just accept liability and offer a nominal amount each month £5- £10. I pay all our house old bills and we use my partners account for day to day expenses and food shopping.

If we put on the expenses form as though she pays some of the bills, are the likely to accept a small amount each month for the debt, or will they require proof that she is paying said bills. She doesn't get paid much around £1100 / month so although she is not directly paying council tax / rent etc... she is paying for our other costs.

Thanks

Mentions
    808 Post(s)

I don't think you need to throw in the towel just yet.

I know it's a faff dealing with claims but the Beagles will help you every step of the way.

You could file your Defence the day before you go on holiday and then sit back and enjoy your trip.

The court is unlikely to give you an extension of time to file your Defence (a suggestion made in post # 9) just because you're going on holiday so I see no point in asking.

There are letters you can send which will protect your legal position. Send them on Monday.

Di

Mentions
    808 Post(s)

That's the bit that has thrown me they are both 2013. Will they go from this date for the 6 years?
    The default dates aren't relevant in the grand scheme of things right now.

You simply need to deal with the issue in hand which is to file the AOS for both claims and send the essential s77-79 CCA and CPR 31.14 Requests.

Oh, and start a separate thread for Claim 2 please

Di

Mentions
    0 Post(s)

Thanks Diana, sorry AOS? Is thathere the same as the CAA? And is it going to the claimant or the solicitor?

Aland what about the" request under the provisions of Civil Procedure Rule 31.14" as mentioned in an earlier post.

I will start a new thread for the smaller claim

EDIT: Sorry, was reading posts on my mobile, missed most of what you said. So AOS being Ackowledgement of Servive. I am going to do that online now. As for the CCA and CPR requests do these go to the claimant or the solicitors?
    Last edited by MrMRJ; 22nd April 2017 at 20:40:PM.

Mentions
    808 Post(s)

Thanks Diana, sorry AOS? Is thathere the same as the CAA? And is it going to the claimant or the solicitor?

Aland what about the" request under the provisions of Civil Procedure Rule 31.14" as mentioned in an earlier post.

Glad to see you've got your fighting spirit back!

AOS stands for Acknowledgement of Service which you can do online.

You'll need to state that you intend to defend all of the claim(s). But don't enter anything in the "Defence" box at this stage - it's an easy mistake to make.

A Beagle will help you with links to the template letters you need to send.

Di

Mentions
    808 Post(s)

To be continued . . . . . http://legalbeagles.info/forums/show...995#post722995

Di

Mentions
    0 Post(s)

Just completing the CPR for this claim.

Just to recap the exact Paticulars for this Claim:

" The claimant claims payment of the overdue balance due from the defendant under a contract between the defendant and Shop Direct dated on or about Apr 04 2009 and assigned to the claimant on Aug 12 2013. Particulard A/C No - xxxxxxx

Date ITEM VALUE
    06/03/2017 Default Balance 2374.27
    Post Refrl Cr Nil
    Total 2374.27
    "

So as I understand I am not able to as for default notice or formal request on the CPR as it is not mentioned above? Is Assignment in the CPR the assignment to capquest so i can ask for this? and as the mention contract I can ask for this?

Also on the CPR in red "For your information and records I enclose a copy of the formal request for a copy of the credit agreement relating to this claim, pursuant to the Consumer Credit Act 1974, which has been posted to your client with the statutory fee of £1 today, XX XXXX 201X"

Do I remove this bit? I am sending the CCA and to CPR to the same address, in this case Capquest and not the solicitors?

Thanks

Mentions
    0 Post(s)

Do i need to include a postal order with the CPR for copying purposes? As you are aware I need to complete my defense before i go on holiday 15/5, so really could do with no reason for this process to be delayed.

Thanks

VIP Member

Mentions
    1624 Post(s)

Do i need to include a postal order with the CPR for copying purposes? As you are aware I need to complete my defense before i go on holiday 15/5, so really could do with no reason for this process to be delayed.

Thanks
    No Fee For CPR31.14 request.

nem

Mentions
    0 Post(s)

Well, Sent the CPR and CCA on the 22nd April. Still not recieved anything back. I am assuming I won't still won't have recieved anything by Saturday when I need to get my defence in.

This is the one I believe is statute barred. So could someone assist in what to put in my defence? I have absolutely no idea what to say or how to word it correctly.

Many thanks

VIP Member

Mentions
    560 Post(s)

Do I remove this bit? I am sending the CCA and to CPR to the same address, in this case Capquest and not the solicitors?
    Being pedantic, a CCA request + fee should be sent to the creditor.
    If the alleged debt has been properly assigned via the Law of Property Act 1925 & notice served, the assignee displaces the former creditor (assignor) for the purposes of the Consumer Credit Act.
    Where a court claim has been issued it is reasonable to send the CCA request to the Claimant, as, by implication, they are indicating that they are the creditor.
    It is wise to send a copy of the request to the Claimant's solicitor, without the fee & for informational purposes only.
    As always, copies should be kept & proof of posting obtained.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "
    Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

VIP Member

Mentions
    151 Post(s)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast