Thread: 12 years old council tax debt

• Display
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default 12 years old council tax debt

I have received a council tax letter with only my first name on it .And two of the others names I do not know. The debt is about 600 pounds,and it charged for 12 years ago.I have never lived at that address.I have called the council and said that was not me,they asked my name and said they going to change the name on the letter. In this case, where do I stand?what should I do?

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)

Default Re: 12 years old council tax debt

Write to them and say that you have never lived at that address, you do not know the other people named and that they have sent the letter to the wrong person.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Default Re: 12 years old council tax debt

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrybend View Post
    I have received a council tax letter with only my first name on it .And two of the others names I do not know. The debt is about 600 pounds,and it charged for 12 years ago.I have never lived at that address.I have called the council and said that was not me,they asked my name and said they going to change the name on the letter. In this case, where do I stand?what should I do?
    I'd imagine that the local authority have tried to trace the debtor and come up with your address. You need to contact them and advise you were not resident at that property - if you can tell them where you were resident then it would do no harm. The council should be able to conform where (and how) they found your address.

Craig