• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Using Cheques in shops.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Using Cheques in shops.

lol I know I know

I doubt it is actually illegal and I cant see where in either of the cheque acts or the bills of exchange act it would deem it illegal.....morekely against some banking act term.

and I cant find the original thread on CAG - I have an idea it was in the old bear garden before they handily removed everything....hey ho.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Cheques are written orders from account holders instructing their banks to pay specified sums of money to named beneficiaries. They are not legal tender but are legal documents and their use is governed by the Bills of Exchange Act 1882, and the Cheques Acts of 1957 and 1992.

Cheque and Credit Clearing Company - Cheques

Just been having a brief look through that site and it tends to lean towards the inidividuals banks T&C regarding the writing of cheques and not actually the acts quoted

Comment

Isn't it to do with knowledge?

I.E. its illegal to knowingly issue a cheque when you do not have sufficent funds to meet the promise made by issueing the cheque?

As a cheque is a prmosory note, you cvanot promise somehting that you cannot deliver, in a financial sense at least.

So then, how about this then.

you go into a shop/garage whatever, fill up with petrol and then profer a cheque in return for said goods?

Its not theft, since theft is the intent to take something without intending to pay for it. So the fact you did intend and offered to pay means it cannot be theft.

So what happens then?

Glenn

Comment

I.E. its illegal to knowingly issue a cheque when you do not have sufficent funds to meet the promise made by issueing the cheque?

yes thats what I thought but buggered if i can find out where (I think Curly knows he just likes teasing us)
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Well thanks for that everyone, I think that's finally got that out of the way.
            Admittedly what about using a check when you know there will be funds to cover it when it is presented ?

Also we seem to have drifted from my original question:
            Originally posted by Curlyben View Post
            May sound like an odd question, but do ANY shops still accept guaranteed cheques.

I know all of the supermarkets have stopped, so what's left, if anything ?

Comment

For all of you out there who have got cheques left and you feel you must use them

I will be willing to accept them, just sign them and send them to me.
              you dont even need to fill the amount or payee in, I will do all that for you

PKea

Comment

Other cheque-free zones include Asda, Argos, Boots, Next, Sainsbury's, WH Smith and very soon Marks & Spencer.

lol.

West Berkshire Museum Shop accepts cheques.

if that helps.
                #staysafestayhome

Comment

My local curry house accepts cheques. And sticks rigidly to my instructions not to bank them till I say so.
                  Is no longer here

Comment

Well I didn't actually believe her, but here is the proof for you all to see !!!!

I think it's a bit discriminatory that they don't accept debit or credit cards though !! Also doesn't appear to be a lot on display !!

Museum Shop

We aim to stock all local history books, including those written and published by the Museum. Visit this page for more information about our mail order service and details of the full range of books that we sell.

The Museum Shop - with souvenirs and publications.

The Museum bookshop concentrates on non-fiction books with a link to the towns and villages of West Berkshire. Many of our titles are written by local authors. Often we are the only stockist of such books. We also include historical maps of the region and books that can assist researchers with local and family history.

We carefully select our range of souvenirs, ensuring they relate to the Museum's collections and/or the history of West Berkshire. Many items are popular with our younger visitors and therefore we aim to keep most souvenirs priced at £1.50 or less.

For a full list of the books that we stock at the Museum please open the PDF called Museum Publications List, Summer 2008. We offer a selection of these books for mail order, please open Museum Books By Post and post it to us along with a cheque.

Please note we cannot accept debit/credit cards. The Museum shop will accept cash or cheques. The mail order service can only accept cheques or postal orders. Our P&P charge is for mainland UK only. Please telephone us if you have any queries.

Comment

I wonder where we will end up with cheques. I dont like taking them but many charitys only pay by them.

Comment

I think we will see a gradual decline in cheque use over the next few years. However I think we are stuck with cheques for a long while yet.

Some facts and figures :-
                        Debit Cards Replacing Cheques at Retailers in UK

APACS, the UK payments association, has released figures showing that the debit card retains its popularity at retailers, with spending on debit cards increasing by 11% last year. According to APACS, this increase stands in stark contrast to paper cheque spending which declined by 7.5% in terms of value and 13% by volume over the same period. Credit card spending at retailers in the UK has not grown over the last three years.

See table - follow link above

The statistics, which cover all retail transactions in 2007 (both online and offline), show debit card spending at 42 per cent (£109bn) of the total £261bn spent, against cheque at 3 per cent (£7.5bn) and cash at 32 per cent (£84bn).

Interestingly, the findings also reveal that whilst the debit card is experiencing a hike in usage, credit card spending at retailers has plateaued over the last three years. This suggests that people are tending to prefer a ’pay now’ approach as opposed to a ‘pay later’ option, when at the tills.

Sandra Quinn, director of communications at APACS says: “As retailers are increasingly deciding to stop accepting cheques, it is expected that a large proportion of those payments will migrate to debit card payments. This will simply accelerate a change that is well underway as over the last three years we have seen debit card spending rise 31%, cheque spending fall 33% and cash spending reach a point of equilibrium.

“We are becoming increasingly reliant on our plastic cards at retailers as they offer us convenience, speed and access to services, such as the cashback facility, which other payment options cannot provide. Different situations suit certain payments and it seems that the high street is truly the place for the debit card.”

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X