• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Pensioners missing out on Benefits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pensioners missing out on Benefits

Over half of British pensioners are struggling to live on a low income and are missing out on thousands in pension credits, statistics have revealed.

A report by the Office of National Statistics (ONS) shows that 61% of single pensioners receive less than £10,000 a year while elderly couples claiming a pension get £15,000.
    Labour Minister Mike O'Brien last month blamed the rises in council tax for the 2.8 million older people who now officially live below the poverty line.
    Research from Age Concern also revealed that many pensioners are missing out on a government pension credit fund of more than £2 billion as they find the system too complex to enter a claim.
    The charity's findings showed that six out of 10 lower income pensioners are put off claiming benefits because they are confused by the paperwork involved, find the means testing procedure intrusive or do not believe they are entitled to it.
    Gordon Lishman, director general of Age Concern, said: "Many pensioners are put off claiming benefits because they find the system confusing. Yet this is money that is rightfully theirs and, if claimed, could make a big difference to their weekly income.
    "Pension Credit is one of the main benefits available for older people and putting in a claim can actually open the door to receiving other money benefits.
    "We would urge any older person who finds their income stretched to see if they could claim. Older people shouldn't let the system get the better of them. Age Concern advisers are there to help them through the claiming process."
    Age Concern also found that older people from black and ethnic minority groups are particularly at risk of poverty.
    OAPs are entitled to at least £124.05 a week, according to pension credit guidelines, but the charity found that 26% of people in ethnic minority groups are living in poverty compared to 17% of white older people.

Re: Pensioners missing out on Benefits

Would just like to add to this post that this is oh so true.
    My mum and dad had a visit from CAB only because a nurse at the hospital asked my mum was she getting any benefits for her condition.
    They have finished up after the chap from CAB going through all their stuff, I might add, about 50% better off than they were before.
    My dad still thinks he may go to prison for benefit fraud, or that I will cop for a load of flak when he has gone, (this is because he did when my gran died).
    So please if you have elderly relatives or neighbours even, go and have a chat, see if you can get them to swallow their pride (cause that's what it is) and help them to enhance their lives with money that is rightfully theirs. Enaid x

Comment

Yes very true and many of them are to proud to admit they are struggling . My dad for one.

he gets so confused about all the forms and they keep changing all the amount of benefits and council tax relief and this week they were panicking that they had missed a payment to the council £36 - then it turns out they are owed money.
      "What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

"Always reach for the moon, if you miss you'll end up among the stars"

Comment

Thank you for this thread Di.

I sat down with my friends nan just now and we worked out she should get about £60 a week more. She has been living on £62 a week for the last couple of years and can't afford her heating. I take her wood from my garden so she can at least have the fire going when she gets cold, we are busy stockpiling it in the garden at the moment ready for winter. God knows what she will do when I run out of wood. Hopefully she will get her extra benefits quick smart and be able to pay to have the heating on.

Might give age concern a ring and get them to come over and see if we have missed anything she is entitled to.
        Dragging myself and my family back into the light with the help of Beagles.

My Hardship Claim
        Me VS Abbey Win
        BIL HSBC Credit Card
        BIL EGG
        BIL HSBC Loan
        BIL PPI Win

Comment

Best People are CAB Mocha without a doubt, you be there with her cause they will want all her details.
          Often the older folk don't want to give their details to strangers and we are always telling them not too. Long as you get names and ID and are happy to help her I am sure she will be fine.

Comment

this is cool Benefits checker | Age Concern England
            Dragging myself and my family back into the light with the help of Beagles.

My Hardship Claim
            Me VS Abbey Win
            BIL HSBC Credit Card
            BIL EGG
            BIL HSBC Loan
            BIL PPI Win

Comment

That is brill Mocha, gives a very good idea of what can be claimed.
              The next bit is the filling in of the said forms and this is the bit that is the crux of the matter.
              This is the bit help is needed and we have to make sure it's there Enaid xx

Comment

I think this is important - so if we know anyone it may apply to they should claim soon.

CHANGES TO PENSION CREDIT
                On reducing backdated Pension Credit payments from 12 to three months
                “The Government is dealing many of the very poorest, most vulnerable pensioners a poor hand by cutting the backdating period for Pension Credit, Council Tax Benefit and Housing Benefit to just three months. Millions of older people are already missing out on billions of pounds in cash benefits which, if claimed, could make a huge difference to their quality of life. The loss of additional backdated payments will hopefully provide an even greater incentive for people to make a claim as soon as possible.
                “If the Government is intent on reducing backdated payments, it must work much, much harder to improve the take-up rate of benefits so that people receive help as soon as they are eligible. We want the Government to move towards a system of automatic payments, and introduce a single claim line for all means-tested benefits in the meantime to simplify the process
                "What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

"Always reach for the moon, if you miss you'll end up among the stars"

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X