• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

VT letter start date

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VT letter start date

Hi Rob,

I am about to use your template letter to VT my PCP with MiniFinance. I have 4 months to the end of a 4y PCP, so well over my 50% payments. The car has recently been serviced by Mini and my mileage is within the limits.
    My question is in regards to the effective termination date. In your template you suggest "hereby give you notice that the agreement is terminated effective immediately from the date of this letter." Does this mean I should not use the car anymore from this date ? or can I still use it till the come to collect it ?
    Thanks in advance for you help.
    Tags: None

Re: VT letter start date

From a legal perspective, as soon as the agreement is terminated then the right to use the car would be lost unless you sought further permission from the lender.

Of course in reality the lender is unlikely to know if you have used the car in between the time of terminating and collection of the car although if you use it and damage it or have an accident then you will be liable for it.

If you want to continue using the car then you could alter the letter to say it will be terminated on x date although if one of the monthly instalments falls due in that period then you will have to pay for its once the agreement still remains effective until the date of termination.

Or you could use it without their permission and take the risk.

Hope that helps
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thanks for your prompt reply!!!
      Good point about the next monthly instalment, it is next week. I will avoid risks and leave the car on the drive until collection or agree to leave it at the nearest dealership in the next couple of days.

Comment

You only need to give Mini Finance notice in writing and given that the next instalment is next week I would suggest you send your notice by email and by post and get a proof of postage receipt from the post office.

Mini may argue that the instalment is due as they didn't read it until after that date or that you must claim Brunei payable by until the car is sold - those are common arguments from lenders which are not accurate.

And as always, be sure to take plenty of photographs both inside and out, I would also suggest you take photos of the service manual and any repairs carried out as well as the odometer as proof of mileage. It might seem overkill but my experience and others on here is that lenders try anything to recover any monies where they can.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X