• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Harassment...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harassment...

Hello, this is my first post, so please try to bare with me as I explain my issue...

I live on a relatively quiet housing estate on the out skirts of a major city and have done for just over 10 years now. Since 2012, I have been harassed by local yobs (which was dealt with by way of a PIN issued against them and a fine for one) but over the last 2 and a half years, I have been harassed by one particular individual who lives around 150 meters away from my property. Every day, he rides his very loud motorbike past my address, revving and making it "pop" to make me jump and there is no way it is a "fault" on his bike, it is a 2016 plate and this is not the first time or the first bike he has used to do this. He has had 2 other bikes, an Aprilla off-road type bike and a Yamaha 125cc bike in the past, this one he has now is the loudest that he has had so far.

My concern is that this far, I have reported him to police repeatedly, and they have set up 2 meetings and both went nowhere. While I am getting more and more frustrated, he is taking the mickey out of me.

Just today for example, he rode past deliberately revving his bike, which made me jump because it is so loud, it actually makes my clocks and pictures on my wall vibrate, and then he rides down a footpath. around 4 minutes later, he crosses the road, and looks up to my window seeing me there (I was not looking at him, I was writing notes in my diary at the time) and waves (saw this out of the corner of my eye). See while he is telling the police that he isn't harassing me (when he is) he is harassing me behind thier backs and making fun of me while doing it. I have a handicap, and I am of the view he is using that (and the fact that I live alone, parents have all passed on) against me to get away with this. I am close to doing something about him myself, and at this point I don't care about the consequences. It's going to get to a point where I can't take it anymore. He was actually close to forcing me out, and I did move, but decided against it as I was not keen on living in a back garden in an annex, so I moved back. I have complained to his housing association, and they seem to be deliberately mishandling my complaint and ignoring me. Orbit Housing being Orbit Housing, I am not surprised by that, they have been reported many times for this exact same thing.

What I am asking here is this: Is there anything I can do legally to stop this individual continuing to harass me? Or am I stuck with having to deal with it myself?
    Tags: None

Re: Harassment...

Hi and welcome to LB

Sorry to hear about your situation.
    You might find some useful information in this link; http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law...ut-harassment/

In the meantime start a diary of the incidents, and if you can record any incidents (on a mobile perhaps) it might help convince the authorities to do something about this young man.

Comment

Hi, please don't take this matter into your hands, as frustrating and upsetting at it is you may end up in more trouble than the trouble maker and possibly worse get hurt.
      Have you any neighbours who have witnessed this or have complained to you or anyone else about it?

Comment

Sorry for the very late reply, I forgot all about this thread as I have been in the U.S away from this constant blight on my life. Been back a week and a half.

He has finally been dealt with by police, but he is still doing what he was given a section 59 warning for. I have of course written down these times and dates as well as having video footage as evidence and he just seems to be giving the proverbial middle finger to the officer that issued him his warning. I just don't understand what his problem is and why he is essentially laughing at the police. Does he not realise that they can confiscate his bike and crush it? I am now 100% certain that his family are encouraging him to do this and why I have no idea. Maybe his family are just thugs and are trying to use thier son to force me out by getting him to continue what he is doing. It seems this way anyway. I am not planning to move out, however, I do plan to word a very strong letter (with assistance from any experts here) to thier housing association of complaint. I am at the point now where I feel that I may have to get a restraining order from the courts with power of arrest against him and potentially his parents to stop him harassing me, and of course if he continues, he can be arrested and charged for it. I have video proof that he is doing this, he cannot deny what he is doing. He knows what he is doing, and he continues to do it, when I make complaints to police, he fabricates a story that he was "provoked", which of course is utter nonsense. He uses the same sad defence every time, which is why I have started to obtain video evidence of his actions and he knows it, this is why he is continuing to do what he is doing, unabated despite the police warning. He knows that I live alone (I prefer to, no nagging girlfriends, that kinda thing), and he uses his mother and father as "back up" to exploit this as a way out of what he is doing to cause me harassment alarm and distress. I accept that these properties are not correctly sound proofed, but that is not a reason to deliberately rev up his bike and cause it to "pop" right out side my window and give me the middle finger while doing it, proof he is doing it to harass me, which resulted in his 59 warning from police.

I hope that this post helps one of the experts here find a way to assist me, I am reaching the end of my patience limit. This has gone on now for 2 and a half years, why should I continue to suffer?

Thanks again. Thomas.

Comment

If the individual who is harassing you is also harassing others, then you can meet others too who are facing same issue and collectively file a case of harassment against him. To know more about harassment you can go through below mentioned links if they could help you out.
          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harassment#United_States
          https://www.shegerianlaw.com

Comment

I am not in the United States, I am in the UK.

Comment

«THÖMÅS®©™

=== FOTL ??? meanwhile somebody with that area knowledge will be along soon! oh! welcome

Comment

There are several acts which are relevant. I assume this is a council estate or a Social Housing estate. Anti Social Behaviour is the responsibility under the ASB Act of a Social Housing Landlord. If he is continually doing as you say then you should report the ASB and harassment to them. You should quote the Harassment Act to the landlord and the Police as they have a legal obligation under acts of Parliament to protect you. Quote: "Behaviour which you know or should know is likely to cause distress or alarm". So the explosions and noise from the bike is covered under the "excessive noise from a motor vehicle legislation". Which is a police matter. So is the harassment, it's a criminal offence. Also if you are vulnerable due to some disability (which is obvious) that makes it a Hate Crime, again the police and council must act. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_crime)
                The way forward is to insist on a "Multi Agency Approach" from the police and Council and make a request for a Community Protection Order.
                http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/...otices/enacted.
                The thing is you need to get evidence of the incidents. A cheap video camera is what is needed. 1 to record the incidents and 2 to catch any further harassment which sadly is very likely. Perhaps a cheap Car Dash Cam is the way to go. From £40 from Argos.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?ei=i....0.FYzmvvsGM7c

Comment

Sorry, I don't own a car, I own a motorcycle, and I actually have proof of what he is doing.

I have a GoPro Hero 5 on my helmet and it records not only video but also GPS data including speed, altitude etc. I have recorded what he has been doing on my phone and that does not record aforementioned data, not that I need it when I am at home recording it. Oddly though, it has been weeks since I have heard any noise from him since I have exposed him on YouTube. Odd that I think...
                  Last edited by «THÖMÅS®©™»; 23rd December 2017, 01:06:AM.

Comment

Interesting I am going through something similar I have given up as the police believe I am paranoid and go to see my doctor. The doctor says go to the police and vice versa!

Does anyone know if you can use a police refusal to investigate perverting the course of justice in a court case as a defence? Several individuals playing a game to make up a story to get you arrested my lawyer says it's very common most people tell you your paranoid.

Comment

Originally posted by pipsaholic View Post
                      Interesting I am going through something similar I have given up as the police believe I am paranoid and go to see my doctor. The doctor says go to the police and vice versa!

Does anyone know if you can use a police refusal to investigate perverting the course of justice in a court case as a defence? Several individuals playing a game to make up a story to get you arrested my lawyer says it's very common most people tell you your paranoid.
                      Log Every incident - date and time - Have video camera installed if at your property.

It is about gathering evidence.

Comment

I just got a video camera on my front door great device. Logging incidents i done that for 2 years then went to the police who turned it down saying they didn't say anything verbal or cause physical harm yet i know 100% they are causing alarm and distress and stalking me and also perverting the course of justice to frame me.

Comment

Originally posted by pipsaholic View Post
                          I just got a video camera on my front door great device. Logging incidents i done that for 2 years then went to the police who turned it down saying they didn't say anything verbal or cause physical harm yet i know 100% they are causing alarm and distress and stalking me and also perverting the course of justice to frame me.
                          What are they trying to frame you for and what evidence are they making up?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X