Thread: Debt help!

• Display
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Debt help!

Right
    I got myself into a financial mess with lots of debt.
    The quick version I owe approximately £11,000 on 11 different accounts. Around 6 of these are with Lowell, One with Robinsons Way. One is with Cabot who attempted a CCJ however I sent them a request following advice and this is unenforceable in court at the present time.
    I have had an offer of a loan from a relative to see if I can settle these debts by requesting full and final settlements.
    These debts date back to 2012 and I have paid nothing since 2013. I would like to settle these if I am able and I am after some advice.
    Cabot have offered me a discounted offer of around 50%
    Lowell offered me 40% discount 1 year ago however I was not in a position to settle at that time.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)

Default Re: Debt help!

more info i.e. when taken out with whom last payments any further acknowledgment

- - - Updated - - -

they are begging you???? something wrong for them to do that! you CCAd them did you??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Which one Cabot? Or all of them?

- - - Updated - - -

Cabot was originally Capital One
    I sent a CCA request and they wrote back telling me it was unenforceable in court but this doesnt mean i dont owe it.........
    This was around 3/4 months ago and i have heard nothing from them until now.
    All the debts were opened in 2012 and defaulted with no further payments being sent in sept 2013.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Hi Geoff
    At the risk of being too nosey
    A quick list might help us to offer advice
    name of debt ...type of debt...when opened...approx balance...who owns it now....any actions you have taken, last communication

e.g
    Halifax , Credit card, May 2008, £2K, Lowell, sent CCA request 2015 not replied , letter offering discount.

I would be very wary at the moment of offering any F&F's , it will make little difference to your credit file

If you have not paid anything or acknowledged the debts in writing then in about 2 years they will be statute barred

Even if you do decide to go down the F&F I would never ever start at 50%

Mentioned
    315 Post(s)

Different types of debt (ie credit cards, loans, utility bills etc) usually require differing approaches, so it is unlikely that a 'one size fits all' solution can be given.
    @Debt Camel does offer some general guidance.
    https://debtcamel.co.uk/debt-options/
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "
    Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think there's
    -Catalogue accounts- littlewoods, very
    -Bank/overdraft account
    -Credit cards- capital one, aqua
    -Store cards- new look, argos

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks I'll have a look

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have the offer from a relative to offer f&f settlement but do i make each letter debt specific or do i explain to them that I have 11 debt accounts and explain what I am offering everyone?

Mentioned
    178 Post(s)

Well I suggest offering nothing to the Cabot one they can't produce the CCA for.

You could also consider asking all the other ones except the overdraft to produce a CCA... if they can't, cross them off the list!

Once you have a list of ones you want to offer to settle, I would send them all the same letter, saying your uncle (or whoever) has offered you £x to setle the following accounts - list them all - whoch is an offer of 43p in the £ (or whatever) so you are offering them £x in full and final setlement. You attach a letter from your relative saying "Dear Geoff, as we have discussed, I am happy to offer you £x if this will enable you to settle your outstanding debts which are enforceable."
    Last edited by Debt Camel; 16th April 2017 at 17:35:PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Im just gathering all the info, thanks so much for your help so far, what do i do with the overdraft one then? Thats currently with lowell too and has been since 2014. They've sent me letters asking me to pay it then one saying its escalating about a year ago but nothing since. There has been no payments made to lowell Ive made no contact with them and the last payment I made on that was when they closed the overdraft facility in september 2014.

Mentioned
    178 Post(s)

Well it's not statute barred and there isn't a CCA for an overdraft... one of the ones you will have to make an offer to settle.