Thread: Been told I can't apply for internal job

• Display
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Been told I can't apply for internal job

There are 3 promotional positions coming up next week at my work, but because I have to go to hospital next week for an operation, I've been told that I can't apply, if I'm not here, and not even by proxy if you like..and despite the fact that I would be available for the interview. I've been waiting for this opportunity for 5 years. Can they do this to me?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Re: Been told I can't apply for internal job

In my opinion just apply anyway! If there is no application form, then simply put forward your application in writing. They will either reject your application or accept it. But if you do nothing then its a certainty you wont get the promotion.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I have to agree apply. Send it by post signed for.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

If you've been told that you can't apply then the question is whether you want to apply for a job that you are not going to get. If they've said that to you, I'd interpret it as saying that you won't be considered if you apply. Up to you whether you want to spend time doing an application where the result will be the same...
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This just came from one manager, who forms part of the interview panel with HR, and who in my opinion is a bit of a . The thinking is, that if I don,t apply, his mate will stand a better chance. I was just wondering, from a legal perspective, whether or not it would be discrimination. The application process is done online externally, so he can't really fiddle with that.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by smintram View Post
    This just came from one manager, who forms part of the interview panel with HR, and who in my opinion is a bit of a . The thinking is, that if I don,t apply, his mate will stand a better chance. I was just wondering, from a legal perspective, whether or not it would be discrimination. The application process is done online externally, so he can't really fiddle with that.
    If he's on the interview panel then you are already one person down. Unless there is three people on that panel then clearly you are up against it. To be absolutely clear with you. If the job is advertised for internal candidates only then you have every right to apply for the job. However, if one person who is on the interview panel is negative towards a potential application from you then I doubt you stand a good chance of getting the job. I've seen people change a criteria for a job to ensure that someone they knew got the job.

They are an asshole and I suspect you might view your manager the same so apply if you want but remember that you may never get that time you spend on it if they simply turn you down.
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)