• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Been told I can't apply for internal job

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been told I can't apply for internal job

There are 3 promotional positions coming up next week at my work, but because I have to go to hospital next week for an operation, I've been told that I can't apply, if I'm not here, and not even by proxy if you like..and despite the fact that I would be available for the interview. I've been waiting for this opportunity for 5 years. Can they do this to me?
    Tags: None

Re: Been told I can't apply for internal job

In my opinion just apply anyway! If there is no application form, then simply put forward your application in writing. They will either reject your application or accept it. But if you do nothing then its a certainty you wont get the promotion.

Comment

I have to agree apply. Send it by post signed for.

Comment

If you've been told that you can't apply then the question is whether you want to apply for a job that you are not going to get. If they've said that to you, I'd interpret it as saying that you won't be considered if you apply. Up to you whether you want to spend time doing an application where the result will be the same...
        "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
        (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

This just came from one manager, who forms part of the interview panel with HR, and who in my opinion is a bit of a . The thinking is, that if I don,t apply, his mate will stand a better chance. I was just wondering, from a legal perspective, whether or not it would be discrimination. The application process is done online externally, so he can't really fiddle with that.

Comment

Originally posted by smintram View Post
            This just came from one manager, who forms part of the interview panel with HR, and who in my opinion is a bit of a . The thinking is, that if I don,t apply, his mate will stand a better chance. I was just wondering, from a legal perspective, whether or not it would be discrimination. The application process is done online externally, so he can't really fiddle with that.
            If he's on the interview panel then you are already one person down. Unless there is three people on that panel then clearly you are up against it. To be absolutely clear with you. If the job is advertised for internal candidates only then you have every right to apply for the job. However, if one person who is on the interview panel is negative towards a potential application from you then I doubt you stand a good chance of getting the job. I've seen people change a criteria for a job to ensure that someone they knew got the job.

They are an asshole and I suspect you might view your manager the same so apply if you want but remember that you may never get that time you spend on it if they simply turn you down.
            "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
            (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X