• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Open a new small claim after a concluded hearing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open a new small claim after a concluded hearing

I have a question

once a hearing is concluded in the Small Claims Track and a judgement handed down, all finished - can the losing side then start a fresh claim against the winning side, but for different sums?

For example Andy sues Betty for not paying his invoice of £100.00 but B does not counterclaim and loses.
    Betty then sues Andy for not paying HER invoice of £100.00 relating to a different matter (even though previously she was willing to let it go and didn't raise it as a matter in the first hearing)

Thanks all
    Tags: None

Re: Open a new small claim after a concluded hearing

If it's a "different matter " then of course it is open to a claim and seem unrelated to the first claim.

nem

Comment

ok thanks. The situation is complex - may I PM you?

Comment

Originally posted by YeaBuck1418 View Post
        ok thanks. The situation is complex - may I PM you?
        Yes of course.

nem

Comment

Ionce a hearing is concluded in the Small Claims Track and a judgement handed down, all finished - can the losing side then start a fresh claim against the winning side, but for different sums?

For example Andy sues Betty for not paying his invoice of £100.00 but B does not counterclaim and loses.
          Betty then sues Andy for not paying HER invoice of £100.00 relating to a different matter (even though previously she was willing to let it go and didn't raise it as a matter in the first hearing)
          Would you be Andy or Betty in this situation?

In order to get accurate advice it's best to be specific rather than hypothetical with a question.

One thing to consider is whether the losing party is likely to appeal the judgment although for such a small sum it's unlikely. It also depends on what was said by the DJ in his Judgment because there may be no grounds for appeal.

Based on your scenario Betty would not have had reason to counterclaim if there was no connection between her loss and Andy's claim. Therefore I'm not sure Betty did miss any opportunity to raise her dispute at the hearing.

I don't know where this is heading but if there is the chance that a new claim were to be issued then I would think this dispute could be settled with the help of the court's free telephone Mediation service.

Di

Comment

The situation is complex
            The Beagles are experienced in handling complex situations

If you post the facts on the forum you'll received a variety of opinion which will enable you to make a choice of what would work best for you.

Di

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

The situation is quite complicated and I posted the gist of it on another thread here;

http://legalbeagles.info/forums/show...peal-questions

Did that to keep the current situation separate from the hypothetical question asked here. I will update the other thread with the latest information

Comment

Did that to keep the current situation separate from the hypothetical question asked here. I will update the other thread with the latest information

I've now read your other thread so you'll see why I raised the issue of a potential appeal before anyone could post accurate information on this thread.

Originally posted by Diana M View Post
                One thing to consider is whether the losing party is likely to appeal the judgment although for such a small sum it's unlikely. It also depends on what was said by the DJ in his Judgment because there may be no grounds for appeal.

Appeal has gone in with full original evidence pack plus grounds for appeal and permission to appeal requested (not yet granted-waiting to hear) - numerous errors of law and errors of fact cited as grounds, plus . . . .

The appeal has been accepted and is now with a Circuit Judge.

So I'm not sure that your hypothetical question remains relevant since the initial proceedings have not concluded.

Maybe @Kati can kindly merge your two threads to keep everything in one place.

Di

Comment

Hi all, posted a new question on the other thread, any insight would be gratefully received. Many thanks.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                  See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                  X