• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Unsecured Loan Claiming as Overdraft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Unsecured Loan Claiming as Overdraft

Originally posted by RedFinn2012 View Post
    It could have been sooner, albeit not by much, so I'm guesstimating November as SB time. This was created circa July 2005, when they amalgamated all my HSBC debt, overdraft, credit cards, and loan into this 'Managed Loan' and I was not allowed any further credit with them, so it's definitely no overdraft. I'm wondering if they'll have a hard time getting the documents after 12 years......
    Likely to be very difficult to trace the documents.
    You could send a Subject Access Request to HSBC to see just what data they still hold. (if any)

nem

Comment

they amalgamated all my HSBC debt, overdraft, credit cards, and loan into this 'Managed Loan' and I was not allowed any further credit with them, so it's definitely no overdraft. I'm wondering if they'll have a hard time getting the documents after 12 years......
      That's why I said in my post # 10 send a SAR to HSBC to get all the data they have on file now.

Because if the loan agreement is not in that (i.e. their SAR response to you) then how will Arrow be able to get it

Di

Comment

Thank you both, Nem & Diana, so very much! Lots for me to be going on with, will sort out the SAR to HSBC, CCA to Arrow, and letter to Restons tomorrow. Will report back as and when there is further information.

Am much clearer on the way forward, slippery little suckers

Comment

Right (she says, dusting hands off) all typed/C&P'd ready to go off tomorrow, please see amended letter to Restons. Thanks Diana for the FCA tip!

Dear Sir,

I refer to your letter of March 29th in which you again state that you intend to commence court proceedings concerning an alleged overdraft balance of £3252.05. I have indeed checked my records and categorically deny even having an overdraft with HSBC, namely because I wasn’t allowed to have one.

To that end, I have formally sent your client a section 77 CCA request (copy enclosed) and respectfully ask that you halt any further proceedings on this account until such time as their documents have been received and act in accordance with FCA Handbook Rules CONC 13.1.6.

Comment

Thanks Diana for the FCA tip!

. . . . act in accordance with FCA Handbook Rules CONC 13.1.6.
            You're welcome

Di

Comment

Hi guys,

Right, the state of play is as follows:-

SAR'd HSBC telling them categorically that I wanted everything they had on me, included maiden name, D.O.B, and previous addresses, and attached a PO for the £10. They sent me a sheaf of computer printouts and a form to fill out if there was anything else that I wanted which comes under the data protection act. - How annoying? £10 PO returned.

CCA'd Arrow on the same day and attached the requisite £1 PO. - Replied saying that they do not accept that they are the creditor (as envisaged by the Consumer Credit Act 1974) and insisting that the amount being claimed arose under an overdraft facility, so there will be no executed agreement anyway.

Wrote to Restons advising that I was sending a CCA to Arrow and that it was not an overdraft - As yet, nothing.

The annoying thing being that I had my old HSBC account paperless, so don't have any old statements lying about. Do I specifically request my last statement for the account from HSBC along with any and all credit agreements? I think this is what I should do.

How is it possible that they can threaten me with court if they don't call themselves the creditor? I was wondering if I should direct them to their own entries on my credit report which clearly shows them being two different a/c's or if this would be a mistake.

Would be very grateful for your thoughts when you get a chance.

Thanks!

Comment

Ive just dealt with a case involving Mortimer clarke solicitors where they alleged the account was a bank account, rather than a loan account, its becoming a tactic to avoid having to provide a copy of the credit agreement as far as i can see, as they argued on the case i dealt with that an overdraft would not have a signed agreement thus nothing to disclose under the CCA
                I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Right, the state of play is as follows:-

SAR'd HSBC telling them categorically that I wanted everything they had on me, included maiden name, D.O.B, and previous addresses, and attached a PO for the £10. They sent me a sheaf of computer printouts and a form to fill out if there was anything else that I wanted which comes under the data protection act. - How annoying? £10 PO returned.

CCA'd Arrow on the same day and attached the requisite £1 PO. - Replied saying that they do not accept that they are the creditor (as envisaged by the Consumer Credit Act 1974) and insisting that the amount being claimed arose under an overdraft facility, so there will be no executed agreement anyway.

Wrote to Restons advising that I was sending a CCA to Arrow and that it was not an overdraft - As yet, nothing.
                  Progress

Your goal was to get to November without a court claim because that's when you believe the debt will become Statute Barred.

You've sent a SAR to HSBC and they've not sent you everything by the sound of it. You can write back and remind them that they're supposed to send you all data held about you not just selected highlights. Some banks do that because they assume you're going to make a PPI reclaim so only need stuff to back it up. Others are just plain lazy.

Anyway you say they've sent you some paperwork so have a look through to see if there are any clues to indicate whether this was an overdraft not a loan or credit card etc etc

You've sent a valid s.77-79 CCA Request to Arrow. They've sent you back your postal order with a silly letter saying they don't envisage themselves as the creditor blah blah blah. That letter probably also said that they would ask the original creditor for the documents anyway. That letter serves as an acknowledgement of your CCA Request.

You've been sent their routine template letter which I've seen time and time again. Once the timescale for their response runs out the debt will be unenforceable in court unless or until they do comply.

You've told Restons what's going on and they've not replied. That's their choice.

The way I see it there's nothing you need to do at this moment in time apart from run forensics over the paperwork HSBC have sent you so far and remind them to send you the rest.

Di

Comment

Hi PT2537,

As you can see, they are correctly displayed on my credit report (added together, they make the magic number) and am confident that if they want to press ahead that under CPR it will all come out in the wash, I doubt that even HSBC could add £3K to my old current A/C without making it obvious. Just wish I had some statements to hand. BTW, the account start date on the unsecured loan is wildy inaccurate, this commenced circa 2005.
                    Last edited by RedFinn2012; 2nd May 2017, 16:02:PM.

Comment

As you can see, they are correctly displayed on my credit report (added together, they make the magic number) and am confident that if they want to press ahead that under CPR it will all come out in the wash, I doubt that even HSBC could add £3K to my current A/C without making it obvious. Just wish I had some statements to hand.
                      See my previous post and remove/delete those images since you could be identified by them.

Too much information in public is not a good thing.

Di

Comment

Hi Diana,

Thanks for your advice and have removed the images, however although they're saying that they're not the creditor etc. they're insisting that it's an O/D and, as such, there isn't an executed agreement anyway. That's what is bothering me.

I guess I need to get cracking on HSBC and get my last statements and any credit agreements.

Comment

Hi Diana,

Thanks for your advice and have removed the images, however although they're saying that they're not the creditor etc. they're insisting that it's an O/D and, as such, there isn't an executed agreement anyway. That's what is bothering me.
                          It should be bothering them not you

The Claimant has to prove their case. This means if they did issue court proceedings for an £3k overdraft they would have to prove you had a £3k overdraft which you didn't (according to you and according to your CRA file which I saw before you deleted it).

They won't be able to get anything from HSBC which isn't in their files so if it ain't in the SAR then it never happened. If they come up with a reconstituted document you'll be able to cross check it for 'honesty and accuracy' with the contents of your SAR.

Can you clarify whether the Arrow letter said they would be asking the original creditor for the documents to comply with your CCA Request or was it a flat refusal?

Di

Comment

Their exact wording is:-

We thank you for your letter received on 12/04/2017 and acknowledge your request for documentation pursuant to the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

We do not accept that we are the creditor as envisaged by the above statute.

This account arose under an overdraft facility. Even if this account was regulated under the Consumer Credit Act 1974, Part V of the act does not apply to this facility and there will accordingly be no executed agreement.

In addition, we confirm:
                            The account is in default.
                            The total sum outstanding is £3252.05
                            The amounts which will become payable comprise interest and costs, depending on what enforcement action is taken against you.

We return the payment of £1.00

Comment

In the interim, I've screenshot my credit file, on the offchance that they get wise to their mistake, ahead of hopefully getting my final current a/c bank statement from HSBC which will show no overdraft.

Just to be on the safe side

Comment

Their exact wording is:-

We thank you for your letter received on 12/04/2017 and acknowledge your request for documentation pursuant to the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

We do not accept that we are the creditor as envisaged by the above statute.

This account arose under an overdraft facility. Even if this account was regulated under the Consumer Credit Act 1974, Part V of the act does not apply to this facility and there will accordingly be no executed agreement.

In addition, we confirm:
                                The account is in default.
                                The total sum outstanding is £3252.05
                                The amounts which will become payable comprise interest and costs, depending on what enforcement action is taken against you.

We return the payment of £1.00
                                Looking at this logically (I try ) you've not told Arrow that it's not an overdraft. You've only told Restons that you categorically deny ever having an overdraft whilst sensibly not telling them it was a loan (let them figure that out for themselves).

I see no harm in you writing back to Arrow with a copy of your letter to Restons simply saying the same thing (denial it was an overdraft).

Enclose a copy of your CCA Request and the £1 postal order which they returned and tell them politely that you expect them to comply with your statutory request.

I know it's a faff to keep sending letters but these debt purchasers handle thousands upon thousands of accounts and seldom communicate effectively with their agents (i.e. Restons etc) so don't know what you've told them (Restons).

Also if you find yourself in court it's good to be able to demonstrate that you did try to tell them but they stuck their fingers in their ears.

Di

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X