• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Unsecured Loan Claiming as Overdraft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unsecured Loan Claiming as Overdraft

Hi guys,

Really feeling a bit as though I'm in over my head and could do with a bit of help from you. Without going into masses of detail straight off the bat, the background is:-

In 2005, I got into difficulty and my bank (HSBC) wrapped up all my credit card debt, overdraft, and loan into a 'managed loan', total of which was circa £10K. Not allowed any further credit or overdraft.

Fast forward to 2011, I was again in trouble, had an accident in August 2010 in which I broke both legs, which was the start of the slippery slope and to cut a long story short, I defaulted on this loan, of which there was £3193.00 outstanding (for every £100 I paid they took about £60 as interest, so feel I did rather well to get to this point)

Also took a parachute account and left my current account, which was £59.00 O/D due to charges.

Various letters received over the years but I've now had one from Restons Solicitors on behalf of Arrow Global, claiming £3252.00 for an overdraft, how convenient. They also quote my old current a/c number and not the loan a/c number.

I sent a letter back requesting that they comply with pre-action protocol and stating that as I have never had an overdraft even approaching that amount, could they provide the detail.

They have responded basically telling me to review my own paperwork etc.

Can you help me please?
    Last edited by Amethyst; 4th April 2017, 06:11:AM.
    Tags: None

Re: Unsecured Loan Claiming as Overdraft

Morning, Is the letter one you would class as a letter before action?

When the loan was merged to the current account was a new agreement made as far as you recall or was it done unilaterally by hsbc ?

Do you recall when you last made a payment / had contact with hsbc on this account ?

It may be worthwhile sending a subject access request to HSBC for all your personal data and transaction lists to give yourself ammunition to evidence your defence of the claim - you could also ( if it is a lba from resting) send arrow a formal cca request if you haven't already.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi Amethyst,

Yes, in their reply to me they refer to their first letter as a letter before action. They also say that their initial letter is compliant with Paragraph 3 of the practice direction - Pre-Action Conduct and Protocols.

The merging of accounts was done with my knowledge, HSBC called me (sometime in 2005 or thereabouts) to discuss my accounts (I remember I had my daughter in the bath) and the managed loan was sold to me as the answer to my problems, a pity they neglected to tell me that I would be enslaved to it for far longer and much more costly.

Last made payment & contact circa Nov. 2011.

I'll look into the SAR and CCA, I just don't know how Restons can claim it's an overdraft when I didn't have an overdraft on my current account, not really what I'd call compliant with PAP.

My concern is though, that they're trying to circumvent having to provide a CCA by claiming it's an overdraft.
      Last edited by RedFinn2012; 4th April 2017, 06:50:AM.

Comment

This is the letter they sent to me in response.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RedFinn2012 View Post
          Hi Amethyst,

Yes, in their reply to me they refer to their first letter as a letter before action. They also say that their initial letter is compliant with Paragraph 3 of the practice direction - Pre-Action Conduct and Protocols.

The merging of accounts was done with my knowledge, HSBC called me (sometime in 2005 or thereabouts) to discuss my accounts (I remember I had my daughter in the bath) and the managed loan was sold to me as the answer to my problems, a pity they neglected to tell me that I would be enslaved to it for far longer and much more costly.

I'll look into the SAR and CCA, I just don't know how Restons can claim it's an overdraft when I didn't have an overdraft on my current account, not really what I'd call compliant with PAP.

My concern is though, that they're trying to circumvent having to provide a CCA by claiming it's an overdraft.
          Hi,

It would be worthwhile checking your credit reference files to see 1. If the account is there and 2 to see how it is described.

It's quite common for these managed loans to be wrongly described as an overdraft.

nem

Comment

Hi Nemesis,

Already done that, nope they are listed separately Current A/C £59.00 - Default 19/06/2012 & Unsecured Loan £3193.00 - Default 23/07/2012.

Bundled together by Restons as Overdraft and using the Current A/C number.

Thanks for your help guys, it's much appreciated.

Comment

Hi Nemesis,

Already done that, nope they are listed separately Current A/C £59.00 - Default 19/06/2012 & Unsecured Loan £3193.00 - Default 23/07/2012.

Thanks for your help guys, it's much appreciated.
              Well you can prove that you never had an overdraft of that size, and I suspect Arrow Global have instructed Restons that the debt is solely for an OD, they do like to pull stunts like that.
              nem

Comment

Send Arrow a section 77 CCA Request immediately. You must include a £1 postal order for the statutory fee.

Send a copy of it to Restons with a covering letter stating that you "categorically deny this debt was an overdraft with HSBC" (if that's the case since you say it was a loan).

This forum has a template letter here > http://legalbeagles.info/forums/show...=7670#post7670

That letter from Restons gives you a deadline of 18th April before they will issue legal proceedings so make sure you reply as soon as possible by Royal Mail Recorded Delivery.

Ditto the s.77 CCA Request to Arrow (Recorded Delivery) asap.

Di

Comment

If the last payment and/or contact was in November 2011 then this debt is due to go Statute Barred in November this year.

If you send a CCA Request now I expect they'll have to approach HSBC (the original creditor) for the documents which could take months.

During this period of non compliance with your s.77 CCA Request a firm must make the debtor aware that the debt is unenforceable so shouldn't issue legal proceedings under the FCA Handbook rules CONC 13.1.6 >

https://handbook.fca.org.uk/handbook...&timeline=True

There's no guarantee they'll voluntarily respect the FCA guidance so you may wish to include reference to it in your letter to Restons. Let them see you're not daft.

In another post you say the account(s) were defaulted in July 2011 so the DN would have been before that date. You need to check when that last payment was made (could it have been before November 2011?) in case SB is sooner than you think.

Di

Comment

If they plead the wrong account number in the Particulars of Claim (if they issue proceedings) then they'll have some difficulty in winning the case.

It may not have been Restons who bundled the numbers together. In my experience HSBC amalgamate accounts/debts before they assign them. In most cases they give the 'account' a new reference number.

Send a Subject Access Request to HSBC now to get the full history of what really happened and when.

Di

Comment

Hi Diana,

Thanks for your advice, I will send off the CCA tomorrow and a copy to Restons, I've attached a reply to them also. Do you think it'll do?

"Dear Sir,

I refer to your letter of March 29th in which you again state that you intend to commence court proceedings concerning an alleged overdraft balance of £3252.05. I have indeed checked my records and categorically deny even having an overdraft with HSBC, namely because I wasn’t allowed to have one.

To that end, I have formally sent your client a section 77 CCA request (copy enclosed) and respectfully ask that you halt any further proceedings on this account until such time as their documents have been received by myself."

Comment

Hi Diana,
                        Thanks for your advice, I will send off the CCA tomorrow and a copy to Restons, I've attached a reply to them also. Do you think it'll do?
                        Yes

Di

Comment

Originally posted by Diana M View Post
                          If they plead the wrong account number in the Particulars of Claim (if they issue proceedings) then they'll have some difficulty in winning the case.

It may not have been Restons who bundled the numbers together. In my experience HSBC amalgamate accounts/debts before they assign them. In most cases they give the 'account' a new reference number.

Send a Subject Access Request to HSBC now to get the full history of what really happened and when.

Di
                          It's possible but wouldn't it be displayed on my credit file that way? As it stands, my credit file accurately displays the info separately,

Comment

Originally posted by Diana M View Post
                            If the last payment and/or contact was in November 2011 then this debt is due to go Statute Barred in November this year.

If you send a CCA Request now I expect they'll have to approach HSBC (the original creditor) for the documents which could take months.

During this period of non compliance with your s.77 CCA Request a firm must make the debtor aware that the debt is unenforceable so shouldn't issue legal proceedings under the FCA Handbook rules CONC 13.1.6 >

https://handbook.fca.org.uk/handbook...&timeline=True

There's no guarantee they'll voluntarily respect the FCA guidance so you may wish to include reference to it in your letter to Restons. Let them see you're not daft.

In another post you say the account(s) were defaulted in July 2011 so the DN would have been before that date. You need to check when that last payment was made (could it have been before November 2011?) in case SB is sooner than you think.

Di
                            It could have been sooner, albeit not by much, so I'm guesstimating November as SB time. This was created circa July 2005, when they amalgamated all my HSBC debt, overdraft, credit cards, and loan into this 'Managed Loan' and I was not allowed any further credit with them, so it's definitely no overdraft. I'm wondering if they'll have a hard time getting the documents after 12 years......

Comment

wouldn't it be displayed on my credit file that way? As it stands, my credit file accurately displays the info separately,
                              I'm aware of a similar situation (with Arrow) where the current account OD is on the CRA files as HSBC and the loan element is reported by Arrow. In that case Arrow is pursuing both amounts as one debt which will give them assignment issues.

My advice is to take a screenshot of both entries before they fall off the CRA files in July which is the sixth anniversary of the defaults. You may need it as evidence further down the line.

Let's hope that the CCA Request puts a stop on things for now as you limp towards SB.

Di

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X