• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Peel Centre Parking Ticket (Threatening court letters) - Is this a valid defence?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peel Centre Parking Ticket (Threatening court letters) - Is this a valid defence?

Hi,

First time poster, but I am having trouble with the private parking company, Excel Parking. I have followed advice from other online forums saying to "ignore the threatening letters" however they have now passed this case onto a legal company called 'BW Legal' - asking for £160, which is ridiculous.

First: Are BW Legal a reputable company that I should take seriously?

Secondly - the defence: When I parked in the Peel Centre car park, I had displayed my Low Emissions parking permit, which allows me to park in any pay and display car parks within Stockport (so I thought). When I had appealed initially, I had sent them a copy of my parking permit and told them I am eligible to park there for free, however they had dismissed my appeal. More threatening letters kept coming, saying they will take me to court.

However, I have recently found images of the Terms and Conditions that are displayed in the car park, andnowhere does it say that Low Emissions permits are not eligible in the car park. It also does not state on the Low Emissions permit Terms and Conditions that you are not allowed to park in private car parks.

Is this a valid defence? If so, what should my next step be?

I appreciate any and all responses.

Thanks.
    Tags: None

Re: Peel Centre Parking Ticket (Threatening court letters) - Is this a valid defence?

First: Are BW Legal a reputable company that I should take seriously?
    Reputable no, but they are a firm of solicitors so they will probably issue a claim if you don't pay up like many as they will be instructed to do so. Have they issued a Letter Before Action (it would be titled at the top usually)

What exactly does the terms and conditions of the parking permit say in relation to parking in any pay and display car park?

What was the contents of your appeal?

I've tagged [MENTION=5354]mystery1[/MENTION] as he is the one who can assist you and may have further alternative defences but answering the above would be a helpful starting point.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Re: Peel Centre Parking Ticket (Threatening court letters) - Is this a valid defence?

The scheme sounds like a council scheme so i wouldn't imagine it applies to any private car parks.

The signage at the Peel centre has been an issue. http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co...over-peel.html

http://nebula.wsimg.com/1bb26d17be44...&alloworigin=1 Quite an old case from the same site. Not sure from which era you are talking about and the latest signs aren't great either. The supreme court clarifies that the signs must be large, prominent and legible.

That, however, is both a matter of evidence and judicial opinion.

It's a pity you gave away who was driving, as keeper liability is the best form of defence against Excel.

M1

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X