• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bailiffs - is there anything I can do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bailiffs - is there anything I can do?

Basically last year I ended up owing the council around £100 in council tax, I went through a lot last year and ended up putting it on the back burner. I moved house last July under Section 21 notice (LL wanted the house back). Recently updated my credit file with my current address and immediately had bailiffs at the door, turns out they had sent a letter to my old address advising me of a court hearing regarding the council tax but I obviously never received this letter or any subsequent or prior letters due to having left. I can prove I left the house in July due to having the section 21 notice. So I never really got a chance to repay the amount owed and because it went to court and enforcement was needed they've added a massive £310 to the bill! I called the council to explain and all they could say is that since no post was ever returned to say I wasn't living there anymore they class is as 'received'. Doesn't seem right.... is there anything I can do?
    Tags: None

Re: Bailiffs - is there anything I can do?

Did you inform and if so can you prove you informed the Council that you moved? The Council are only obliged to write to your last known address.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X