• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Do people with learning disabilities get the care they need?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do people with learning disabilities get the care they need?

Originally posted by warwick65 View Post
    The problem with the term learning disabilities as used by most people is that it covers such a wide range of disabilities and differences. IMO because of this it is open for interpretation and quite easy for the state to move towards increasing the threshold for help I.e lowering the eligibility.

I realise using a catch all term can help to remove the stigma associated with learning differences/disabilities and is a good thing, the problem is people who judge the needs can use it as a cover all , for example no two people on the autism spectrum need the same level of support
    The main problem we have in caring for people with an LD is the difficulty in diagnosing what the exact LD is. Doctors etc are very good at coining the phrase "multiple learning disabilities", which could be a number of conditions. Catering for the individual care of someone is not based on the exact LD but on the ability of the person in question.

For example, a "high functioning" autistic person might need to be reminded to shower and questioned about the suitability of clothing (shorts in snow.. it happens), whilst a non- verbal person with unspecified disabilities cannot feed themselves but will point out the shower and remind you that they should be up and about by banging on tables etc.

I realise I am new in to this sector but I also feel the frustration and not knowing the full story behind my "charges".

But Warwick, the happiness! The total priviledge of being allowed to work with such wonderful people. To hear someone laugh at a tower that has just toppled over, causing poor support worker me to scrabble around the floor picking bricks up, or to see the smile on someone's face when you hand them a toothbrush and say "Go on, you do it!"

Each a milestone in it's own right!

What we need to help us in funding, support and people (your very good self not included) to realise that somethings cannot have a monetary value put on it.
    PLEASE NOTE: I work irregular hours including nights and sleep in shifts. If I have not responded in 48 hours, please ask an admin to Messenger me!

"If you ever feel alone, remember, I am just the other side of the rainbow, or just south of the North Star. Whichever is closer." - A.J Murphy. 17/3/1974 - 16/03/1997 (RIP babe <3)

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
      You've misunderstood, I'm not saying they are unable to ask (even though many are), rather that they don't.
      Thanks for clarifying

Comment

Originally posted by slainte caragh View Post
        The main problem we have in caring for people with an LD is the difficulty in diagnosing what the exact LD is. Doctors etc are very good at coining the phrase "multiple learning disabilities", which could be a number of conditions. Catering for the individual care of someone is not based on the exact LD but on the ability of the person in question.

For example, a "high functioning" autistic person might need to be reminded to shower and questioned about the suitability of clothing (shorts in snow.. it happens), whilst a non- verbal person with unspecified disabilities cannot feed themselves but will point out the shower and remind you that they should be up and about by banging on tables etc.

I realise I am new in to this sector but I also feel the frustration and not knowing the full story behind my "charges".

But Warwick, the happiness! The total priviledge of being allowed to work with such wonderful people. To hear someone laugh at a tower that has just toppled over, causing poor support worker me to scrabble around the floor picking bricks up, or to see the smile on someone's face when you hand them a toothbrush and say "Go on, you do it!"

Each a milestone in it's own right!

What we need to help us in funding, support and people (your very good self not included) to realise that somethings cannot have a monetary value put on it.
        Our granddaughter 23 today, has given up a well paid but high pressure roll with an estate agency to train as a teacher in a extended needs education ( LD in in normal speak) She's currently working in a school with a vast range of ages and disabilities and capabilities we have never seen her happier, calmer and relaxed, she describes a feeling of achievement and satisfaction never felt before.

nem

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
          She's currently working in a school with a vast range of ages and disabilities and capabilities we have never seen her happier, calmer and relaxed, she describes a feeling of achievement and satisfaction never felt before.

nem
          I was working in a call centre doing customer services.

My husband says in the 25 days that I have been working in this sector I have lost 10 years, been happier and been more determined than he has seen me in years.

I wake up raring to go, don't mind the long days and heavy work load.... hell I don't even mind getting soaked when I shower someone!!

The immense job satisfaction, happiness and priviledge I feel on a daily basis, and to get paid to do it too?

This morning, I was helping someone with a learning and behavioural issue. I basically asked them to eat their breakfast and handed them the spoon saying "Come on now, you know how to do this, let's get it eaten."

When I walked past them to put the kettle on they grabbed my hand and kissed it.

Another person went to a day out. This person speaks to NO ONE, makes no eye contact and refuses physical contact. They took both mine and my co workers hands and said "bye bye!"

My month has been made.
          PLEASE NOTE: I work irregular hours including nights and sleep in shifts. If I have not responded in 48 hours, please ask an admin to Messenger me!

"If you ever feel alone, remember, I am just the other side of the rainbow, or just south of the North Star. Whichever is closer." - A.J Murphy. 17/3/1974 - 16/03/1997 (RIP babe <3)

Comment

My eldest daughter too works in a home caring for adults with various disabilities, and she echoes exactly your sentiments [MENTION=99495]slainte caragh[/MENTION]

Comment

Well @slaintecaragh I have known many people with many jobs but none have sounded so rewarding! I think that is more to do with you than the actual duties.
              My Daughter wrote a thesis called:
              The experiences of undergraduate nurses with a specific learning difficulty in the clinical area and third level education setting. Now to be fair it took me a while to even digest the title but it made very interesting reading (once I got her to translate it into layman's terms!)
              It is so true that a ‘one label’ term can cause difficulties and yet I also agree with warwick that it can often help reduce any stigma one might feel.
              There are people who are geniuses in their field and yet have extreme or chronic conditions that could put them under this banner. I know a rather brilliant spinal surgeon who has pretty severe OCD. Had he not had the opportunity to study medicine and work in a very specific controlled environment he might well have wound up on benefits. Many of the world’s most successful entrepreneurs show classic sociopathic tendencies. Many of our greatest scientists had some form of Asperger syndrome or similar autism but were lucky enough that they found the niche where not only did their syndrome not hinder, it proved to be an absolute bonus.
              We all have a niche or roll but not all are lucky enough to drop into the right slot. I think the fact that there is no system or government body that has the time or funding to help people find their niche is not the fault of people with LD and certainly does not make them a burden but a responsibility.
              Perfection is all about perception

An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good'!
              ~ Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit200 View Post
                Perhaps we need to ask two simple questions:
                1. What do they contribute to society?
                2. Are their contributions cost effect?

I wonder if Hitler had similar ideas to you, before he began his horrendous holocaust.

Originally posted by Spirit200
                Any evidence please?

Yes as a matter of fact I do, this is my 42 year old daughter who has Severe Learning Difficulties due to being brain damaged at birth. She takes nothing that she is not entitled to and wouldn't know how.
                Attached Files

Comment

Any evidence please?
                  Stephen Hawking

An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good'!
                  ~ Anonymous

Comment

Any evidence please?
                    I find your attitude abhorrent

Learning difficulties, sometimes called learning differences vary from very mild to sever. I am not sure what you would have 'us' do with people who do not fit the accepted 'norms' of society

You are either an extremely disturbed person or just a troll who enjoys lighting the blue touch paper.

Just so you know, I think every study about genetics and intelligence has been discredited - Galton's theories on eugenics have been abandoned

Cyril Burt had to manipulate his findings when he claimed IQs were fixed and could not be altered

Maybe you could provide some evidence to back up what you seem to be saying

Comment

Here is another for you:
                      Dan Aykroyd - Tourette’s and Asperger’s
                      Yes, [MENTION=102263]Spirit200[/MENTION] it would be interesting to hear your solution to what you think is a problem. Naturally you cannot believe we would list the names and occupations of every person we know who has a LD but still contributes to society. Also, if you want to be pedantic about it the very existence of severely affected people creates employment for others!
                      There are people with severe learning disabilities who could not be expected to do most jobs but as Slainte pointed out very nicely; sometimes just a smile or a kind word can make all the difference. Often more of a difference than all the motivational experts and psychologists can give for all their ‘expertise’ and qualifications.

~ Anonymous

Comment

And, another thing....
                        We have listed a number of examples of people with LD being major contributors not just to the treasury but to society in general yet you still want us to ‘Name Examples’.
                        Is not an inability to pay attention or absorb written details a classic symptom of diminished cognitive ability or dare I say A learning disability?

~ Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by PAWS View Post
                          And, another thing....
                          We have listed a number of examples of people with LD being major contributors not just to the treasury but to society in general yet you still want us to ‘Name Examples’.
                          Is not an inability to pay attention or absorb written details a classic symptom of diminished cognitive ability or dare I say A learning disability?
                          Sorry, what did you just say?

Lol....joking!

Several of my children have LD.
                          Some hold down responsible jobs.
                          Some need to be (& are) cared for.

Thank god for the carers.
                          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                          Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                          gets his brain a-going.
                          Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                          The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Sorry to say that those without family or friends with someone with LD tend to sometimes be abusive to people not as they say the NORM applies equally in abuse towards those on benefits you cant change others waste of time trying all the time we bite back they carry on,
                            If only we were perfect ?

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
                              If only we were perfect ?
                              Yep, agreed.

& who is?

If perfection is a requirement for viable membership of the human race.......could the last person to leave please switch off all the lights?

Thanks.
                              CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                              Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                              gets his brain a-going.
                              Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                              The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post

If perfection is a requirement for viable membership of the human race.......could the last person to leave please switch off all the lights?

Thanks.
                                Looks like I'm going to be very lonely

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X