• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Do people with learning disabilities get the care they need?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do people with learning disabilities get the care they need?

Watch the debate live

The Public Accounts Committee examines whether adults with learning disabilities are getting the support they need to live in the community.

http://www.parliament.uk/business/co...vidence-16-17/
    Tags: None

Re: Do people with learning disabilities get the care they need?

https://www.agincare.com/home-care-p...ing-disability

Comment

The problem with the term learning disabilities as used by most people is that it covers such a wide range of disabilities and differences. IMO because of this it is open for interpretation and quite easy for the state to move towards increasing the threshold for help I.e lowering the eligibility.

I realise using a catch all term can help to remove the stigma associated with learning differences/disabilities and is a good thing, the problem is people who judge the needs can use it as a cover all , for example no two people on the autism spectrum need the same level of support

Comment

Originally posted by enaid View Post
        Watch the debate live

The Public Accounts Committee examines whether adults with learning disabilities are getting the support they need to live in the community.

http://www.parliament.uk/business/co...vidence-16-17/
        Perhaps we need to ask two simple questions:
        1. What do they contribute to society?
        2. Are their contributions cost effect?

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit200 View Post

Who are 'they'?

Comment

Originally posted by warwick65 View Post
            The problem with the term learning disabilities as used by most people is that it covers such a wide range of disabilities and differences. IMO because of this it is open for interpretation and quite easy for the state to move towards increasing the threshold for help I.e lowering the eligibility.

I realise using a catch all term can help to remove the stigma associated with learning differences/disabilities and is a good thing, the problem is people who judge the needs can use it as a cover all , for example no two people on the autism spectrum need the same level of support
            The term "the state" actually means all of us, we all hopefully pay our taxes, dues to society.

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
              Who are 'they'?
              I thought it was obvious,those are those who contribute, the "givers" rather than the takers

Comment

I thought it was obvious,those are those who contribute, the "givers" rather than the takers
                People with learning disabilities aren't 'takers'.

Comment

Labelling any person properly in receipt of benefits, (whether pensioner, disabled or just unemployed etc) as "taker" is unacceptable.
                  Also remember that those in that situation pay more back proportionally in taxes from their meagre income than those in reasonably paid employment, so they are also "givers"

Comment

Takes as they as called by Spirit200 most were givers giving into a system there to protect them when for many reasons they are no longer givers. To easy for those who have no need for benefits in any form to call others in need takers or scroungers not always the case for most

Comment

Ignorance is bliss for some is all I'll say.

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
                        Takes as they as called by Spirit200 most were givers giving into a system there to protect them when for many reasons they are no longer givers. To easy for those who have no need for benefits in any form to call others in need takers or scroungers not always the case for most
                        Indeed and it's not just that but people with learning disabilities in particular don't ask for anything. Any support that they receive is either because society willingly provides it or that the law requires it.

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
                          Indeed and it's not just that but people with learning disabilities in particular don't ask for anything. Any support that they receive is either because society willingly provides it or that the law requires it.
                          With all due respect, doesn't the above comment just add to societies view of learning disabilities and exacerbates the stigma many already face.
                          Many people are perfectly able to ask, even demand the help they are entitled to.

Sadly many do not receive the help the law demands and many parts of society (wrongly) question their rights to receive help.

Comment

Originally posted by warwick65 View Post
                            With all due respect, doesn't the above comment just add to societies view of learning disabilities and exacerbates the stigma many already face.
                            Many people are perfectly able to ask, even demand the help they are entitled to.
                            You've misunderstood, I'm not saying they are unable to ask (even though many are), rather that they don't.

Comment

I am confused as to the question.

I have a learning disability, I work full time in a respite centre working with adults with an LD so I a kinda hoping that my "contribution" is "cost effective!"

With regards to what do "they" contribute to society, I am assuming that you have never once taken the time to spend with someone with a severe disabilty? Whilst a person with this sort of issue cannot work in an office, teach a class of children, be a fireman.. they CAN do incredible things.

Have you ever sat and watched someone labelled as "Them" baking a cake? Or completing a jigsaw puzzle? That determination and positivity many able bodied people lack.

Have you ever walked past someone with such severe autism they refuse to make eye contact and have them reach out and take your hand? Or have someone non verbal try their utmost to say your name?

I would suggest that before asking questions such as "are THEY cost effective?" you do a few hours volunteering at a care home/respite centre and feel the incredible rush when something like this happens... then ask me if I am cost effective.
                              PLEASE NOTE: I work irregular hours including nights and sleep in shifts. If I have not responded in 48 hours, please ask an admin to Messenger me!

"If you ever feel alone, remember, I am just the other side of the rainbow, or just south of the North Star. Whichever is closer." - A.J Murphy. 17/3/1974 - 16/03/1997 (RIP babe <3)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X