• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Faulty used car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Faulty used car

Good day,
    I was advised by Stuart Masson to post on here.
    I bought a used car on 12 March, at the time of test drive I wasn't told of any faults, when I went to collect the vehicle for purchase,on the invoice they stated "spares and repairs,no warranty,no return, EML light",I questioned what does the EML light mean,and all I was told was it could be a lot of things. So no full description or disclosure of what the fault is.
    Since purchasing,I have broken down,needing roadside assistance and the car has also been into a workshop twice.
    I thought the light was just an oil light and nothing major.
    Do I have any right to return the vehicle and request for a full repair or refund?

Hope you can assist
    Jurgen

Hi Amethyst,

I was not given the details of "spares and repairs, no warranty, EML" light,until after the test drive, and returning later the afternoon to pay for the vehicle and to collect, when I paid the money for the car,I was given the invoice and then showed that it states the above on the invoice,and at that point I questioned what is EML light? And this was bought from a dealer/trader. Not ptivate
    Thank you

Comment

Hi,

So as you have highlighted suzysue in the first thread I said "I wasn't told at time of test drive", and then as highlited in reply to amethyst, I was not told till after test drive,which refers to the same as mentioned previously that only AFTER I returned later that day, at the time of given the invoice,was I informed on the invoice of the spares and repair,no warranty no return,EML light.
      So I might have phrased it vaguely in reply to amethyst,but I meant the same,that only after test drive,time of invoice was I made aware, and not meaning after finishing the test drive. There was nothing mentioned before the test drive,during the test drive,or directly after the test drive. Only once making payment and given invoice to sighn for payment.

Comment

Ah right i see, so you test drove the car and on return you were not told of the spares and repairs, you then went home and returned with the money and paid and then on receiving the invoice you noticed spares and repairs. Did you ask for a refund after seeing the invoice?

Comment

That is correct.
          When given the invoice I didn't ask about refund at that point, I did just question the EML light that was stated on invoice,and we're just told they not sure could be a lot of things,so me not knowing too much of cars,stupidly accepted that as I thought the image of that light was a oil light. But when I questioned it,I feel as a dealer should disclose a full breakdown of what that light means? Also the workshop I took it too for repairs also stated the tyres on the car is not of an acceptable standard.
          I also took the "spares and repairs" as the same as when sellers used to state "voetsoot" or "as seen".
          Thank you

Comment

It is always advisable to take the car to a garage for advice before buying or take a friend who is knowledgeable about cars. If i was you i would contact the seller for a refund or you will place a story with local paper and hope for the best.

How much did you pay for the car? Was it a part ex? What year was the car? Why did the car breakdown?

Comment

Well I have now certainly learnt a lesson about taking a car to a garage. But didn't think a trader would sell to a consumer with such known faults.
              It was part exchange on my previous car,so paid £500 for the car. It is a 2006 model car. And on breaking down,the workshop repaired the most obvious faults it came back with, which at first was the spark plugs, spark plug leads, and the coils. The mechanic also advised it is not the first time coil has been replaced,because the one they removed is not the original of the car anymore either. They have also suggest there might be bigger issues,as the faults are still returning.
              So what would be the best way to go about it,should I email the dealer? As telephonically they have refused any repair or refund,as they say they stated it all on invoice?
              Thank you

Comment

Tell them you going to the local paper with your story and hope for the best. Yes the problem is the price of 500 for 2006 model and part ex, these normally come with no warranty and as you said earlier they are bought as seen.

They will probably say they told you it was spares and repairs, your word against theirs. Always remember next time about buyer beware.

Comment

So the only way to basically get a repair or refund out of them is to threaten with newspaper story and reviews on their website?
                  Thank you

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X